Looking for new 16:9 aspect Android phone. Suggestions?

I am in the market for a new phone. In case it matters, I'm in the UK and am with EE as my carrier.

My main specification is that I want the screen to be 16:9. The recent fad of wider aspects annoys me due to letterboxing and app incompatibility. As a developer, I've had to deal with a lot of issues stemming from dodgy compatibility modes and incorrect scaling. Thus I would rather not encounter these issues on my personal device and stick with a 16:9 phone.

My other specifications are that it isn't from Apple (I am very solidly rooted in the Android ecosystem), and would prefer that it wasn't from Samsung due to not being able to debug on them. Historically, I prefer LG, Motorola and Huawei, but it isn't important.

Other than that, I only have some strong preferences (starting from the most important): As high a version of Android as possible (nothing lower than 7), some grunt in the CPU and RAM department (but not THAT important as I'm not a gamer on my phone), a reasonable amount of storage or micro SDexpandable, as close to stock android as possible. 

Camera specs are not even on my radar, as I don't use it for that unless necessary, and even a mediocre (or perhaps even just a low-end) camera would suit my occasional needs. So camera specs are not a concern at all, but I would happily pay more if the selling point is the camera, but the phone otherwise suits my needs.

Does such a phone exist? as googling "new 16:9 phones" brings up a tide of "pros and cons of an 18:9 phone" articles, and I'm unable to find any applicable results.

I think that 16:9 ratios are less common and 18:9 and other extreme ratios have taken over the phone display market. But I do get your pissed off at this.

Doing a little research, I haven't found any common phones that use 16:9.

hi.

I would take a look at the Nokia 8 sirocco. Specifically sirocco since its the newest model. It runs stock android and the specs are pretty good. 

I dont know your budget, but you might get an older Huawei mate 9 pro for the money. The phone runs a EMUI skin

Edited by GoldenLag

Last year Motorola are a good choice: 16:9, up-to-date, no bloats at all. They also have one of the largest fan base, which means a ton of shared knowledge for debugging pourposes 

10 hours ago, matteo1989it said:

Last year Motorola are a good choice: 16:9, up-to-date, no bloats at all. They also have one of the largest fan base, which means a ton of shared knowledge for debugging pourposes 

Any particular model i should pay attention to?

What about LG V20? It seems to fit with your requirement...

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2