Which 1080 GPU is better? Asus vs. EVGA

simeonat418
Go to solution Solved by Christophe Corazza,
44 minutes ago, simeonat418 said:

- snip -

This is a hard question to answers because everyone has there favorite brand and thats all they get. ASUS and EVGA are both reputable brands in the GPU world. They are known for their excellent customer services and reliability, so that makes it even more difficult.

At that segment of the high-end GPU market, cards will perform very similar. The real distinguishing aspects of those cards are the enthusiast oriented features. Things like the cooling solutions, power circuitry, ancillary functions (some ASUS cards will let you run case fans off the video card, for example), dual BIOS and stock overclock all factor into the overall "quality" and cost of a card. If you just want to run a card at stock frequencies and not mess around too much with pushing it to it's limits then your purchasing considerations probably boil down to cost and aesthetics.

Which GPU is better?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which GPU is better?

• Asus GeForce GTX 1080 ROG Striz
    • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 icx

Deciding Between two GPU's for my new build. Asus or EVGA? Cost is not important (there is a $75 difference)...I just want whichever one is better in terms of cooling and performance. Iv'e done lots of research on the two gpu's I'm just having trouble with a final answer. (the main difference that I'm concerned with is the Asus card has 1 more fan but the Evga card has icx technology. Which is better?)

Main Differences:

Asus: 3 fans

Evga: 2 fans

Evga: icx technology (9 thermal sensors and individually spinning fans)

Apparently the Asus Gpu has a much better heatsink 

Evga card is .5 Ghz faster at core clock speeds

Evga card has a 35w higher TDP

Asus card is larger

Avrg. temps:

Asus: 66c

Evga: 69c

Links:

Asus GeForce GTX 1080 ROG Striz

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 icx

PcPartPicker Comparison

Cooling and performance > strixx > better cooling  > more headroom to oc > better performance 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Question is , why a 1080? have you looked for a 1070ti or a 1080ti, those are newer and 1070ti its almost a 1080 and a 1080ti will last top 1 (for consumer) one or maybe 2 years more (if press is correct)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

Question is , why a 1080? have you looked for a 1070ti or a 1080ti, those are newer and 1070ti its almost a 1080 and a 1080ti will last top 1 (for consumer) one or maybe 2 years more (if press is correct)

I have enough for a 1080 not a 1080ti. I never considered a 1070ti

3 minutes ago, simeonat418 said:

I have enough for a 1080 not a 1080ti. I never considered a 1070ti

5 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

1070ti its almost a 1080

Only consider a 1070Ti if the price is right,  you can push the 1070 Ti to 1080 levels but if you are overclocking you can push the 1080 higher.  1080 is still the more powerful card no matter what way you slice it.

I would lean EVGA on the basis that they are a fairly good company to deal with if you happen to have any issues.

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

Only consider a 1070Ti if the price is right,  you can push the 1070 Ti to 1080 levels but if you are overclocking you can push the 1080 higher.  1080 is still the more powerful card no matter what way you slice it.

I would lean EVGA on the basis that they are a fairly good company to deal with if you happen to have any issues.

ok thanks.

EVGA has more warranty time than any other brand

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

EVGA has more warranty time than any other brand

Yes

44 minutes ago, simeonat418 said:

- snip -

This is a hard question to answers because everyone has there favorite brand and thats all they get. ASUS and EVGA are both reputable brands in the GPU world. They are known for their excellent customer services and reliability, so that makes it even more difficult.

At that segment of the high-end GPU market, cards will perform very similar. The real distinguishing aspects of those cards are the enthusiast oriented features. Things like the cooling solutions, power circuitry, ancillary functions (some ASUS cards will let you run case fans off the video card, for example), dual BIOS and stock overclock all factor into the overall "quality" and cost of a card. If you just want to run a card at stock frequencies and not mess around too much with pushing it to it's limits then your purchasing considerations probably boil down to cost and aesthetics.

2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

ok thanks

The is better in every way. The sensor thing isn't important and dumb overall.

The temp thing doesn't matter as the testing used is pointless. Wont be in your case and default fan profiles aren't any good unless you only care about noise and want to sacrifice everything else.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, simeonat418 said:

ok thanks

You're welcome.

I understand the strugle in finding the right brand. Looking at benchmarks only make it more difficult.

Every vendor guarantees you a base- and a boostclock. Everything about that depends on the silicon lottery... Don't worry and enjoy your card :D

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

The is better in every way. The sensor thing isn't important and dumb overall.

The temp thing doesn't matter as the testing used is pointless. Wont be in your case and default fan profiles aren't any good unless you only care about noise and want to sacrifice everything else.

the what is better. did you mean asus

Just now, simeonat418 said:

the what is better. did you mean asus

Strix*

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz