What kind of server do I need?

I want to build a server that can use by multi-user and also works with other hardware like printer and etc. So what kind of server do I need?

18 minutes ago, ezraluandre said:

I want to build a server that can use by multi-user and also works with other hardware like printer and etc. So what kind of server do I need?

I'll need more details than that.

How many users? What will they be using the server for?

Is this a business or home server?

Are you using it for virtualisation or storage? Is it some kind of network hub?

Printer is easy, that's USB and some networking, but what other software?

Yours faithfully

27 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I'll need more details than that.

How many users? What will they be using the server for?

Is this a business or home server?

Are you using it for virtualisation or storage? Is it some kind of network hub?

Printer is easy, that's USB and some networking, but what other software?

I used it for a small business that used computer less than 20. Each computer will perform task like office and main software erpnext. So every computer can input task (according to their job desk) and the change will be real time. 

On 6/12/2018 at 1:15 AM, ezraluandre said:

It depends on what kind of printers you have. If you have the money, I would recommend a company based in Florida, USA, Express PC Medics. They will help all your technical needs and provide this kind of stuff. I recommend this guy "Wesam". They can help you. They also can host websites and they have lots of partners for server hosting, server software, and other stuff. Let them manage this stuff for you to work how you want.

Anyway, I would try contacting the manufacturers of your stuff. I don't know a lot about this stuff. I don't know if you can port forward network printers or something. I'm not very helpful sorry.

-iKingRPG

On 6/12/2018 at 9:08 AM, ezraluandre said:

I used it for a small business that used computer less than 20. Each computer will perform task like office and main software erpnext. So every computer can input task (according to their job desk) and the change will be real time. 

Do you intend to have the employees work ON the server as in remote desktop services? Or do they have their own PCs they work on and simply access files stored on the server? All Windows machines? What's your budget?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

An X server (Xorg) can do multi-seat or thin clients.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multiseat

(Similar you Linus, X gamers one CPU but it's much more efficient on resources. each user has their own environment but system resources are shared not dedicated.)

Citrix is pretty common in enterprise if you need something more professional.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, ezraluandre said:

I don't mean to offend, but I'd recommend hiring a company to set this sort of thing up for you. From your language, it doesn't necessarily sound like you have any sort of systems or network administration experience. I've just recently started getting into homelabbing as a hobby (although I'm hoping to bridge it into a career once I graduate college) and you need to have a certain amount of experience to begin setting up a domain, DNS, DHCP, etc. and all the networking behind it, just to get a START with a business environment. And that's not even touching the functionality you want (printers, shared drives, etc.), just laying the foundation for it all to run on. I've just scraped the tip of the iceberg, and I've been experimenting and trying to learn more about business environments for over a year now.

It's not something you can just jump into.