What do stats like "16 x 4" and "8 x 4" and "4 x 3" mean for modems?

Phil9943

Question is in the title. I'm looking for a router-modem combo and I have no idea what these stats like

-16 x 4

-8 x 4

- 4 x 3

actually mean. Can any of you guys help me out?

Downstream channels is the first number and upstream channels is the second.

Who is your ISP? They should have a list of compatible devices they'll allow on the network so make sure you don't pick something that isn't going to work because they haven't approved it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Downstream channels is the first number and upstream channels is the second.

Who is your ISP? They should have a list of compatible devices they'll allow on the network so make sure you don't pick something that isn't going to work because they haven't approved it.

I'm switching to Cox and they support the router I'm looking at. By channels, do you mean that a 16 x 4 modem can support 16 devices downloading something at the same time, and 4 devices uploading at the same time? What happens if you have an 8 x 4 router but 10 devices need to download something? Does it just not connect or do they all take turns?

Just now, Phil9943 said:

I'm switching to Cox and they support the router I'm looking at. By channels, do you mean that a 16 x 4 modem can support 16 devices downloading something at the same time, and 4 devices uploading at the same time? What happens if you have an 8 x 4 router but 10 devices need to download something? Does it just not connect or do they all take turns?

It means that it can handle up to 16 different signal channels for download speeds and 4 channels for uploads. It doesn't have anything to do with number of devices, just the max theoretical bandwidth it can handle for download and upload speed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It means that it can handle up to 16 different signal channels for download speeds and 4 channels for uploads. It doesn't have anything to do with number of devices, just the max theoretical bandwidth it can handle for download and upload speed.

From the perspective of me having a few friends over to stream something or play fortnite, how much of a tangible difference would having, say, a 16 x 4 modem vs a 8 x 4 modem make? Would there be less data congestion because there are more channels for data to travel over?

Just now, Phil9943 said:

From the perspective of me having a few friends over to stream something or play fortnite, how much of a tangible difference would having, say, a 16 x 4 modem vs a 8 x 4 modem make? Would there be less data congestion because there are more channels for data to travel over?

Nope, it just allows the provider to supply more bandwidth via channel bonding to the device if they introduce higher speeds at a later date. So they might only give you 8 channels for download today but if they offer say a 400Mbps package then you'll need more channels to get that speed. If you don't have a modem that supports the additional channels then you'll need to buy a new one.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

13 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Nope, it just allows the provider to supply more bandwidth via channel bonding to the device if they introduce higher speeds at a later date. So they might only give you 8 channels for download today but if they offer say a 400Mbps package then you'll need more channels to get that speed. If you don't have a modem that supports the additional channels then you'll need to buy a new one.

Alright, thanks man!

54 minutes ago, Phil9943 said:

Alright, thanks man!

Would like to add, 4x4 and 8x4 modems are kinda on their way out. You want to get one that supports more channels. Firstly more channels means faster speeds. Secondly having more channels on a lower teir service will also help ensure you get what you pay for. As channels can become over loaded, depending on providers of course. STAY AWAY from any modem with the Intel Puma 6 chips, I think that covers all the 32 channel down stream D3.0 modems. THough I could be wrong, the most popular of the 32 channel modems is the SB6190, though its well known that the Intel Puma 6 chip has issues. Ive even heard that the Puma 5 and 7 could also have some slight issues as well, but not as wise spread. 

Some suggestions Ive seen for modems are the CM500 or CM600 from Netgear and the Arris SB6183.  Just to be clear these are standard modems no router built in. Of course you need to check your ISP's site to see if they have a list of modems that work. If you do intend on buying a combo unit, make sure it supports dual band and preferably AC WiFi. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.