650 or 750w?

Jmds

Hi guys.

So i dont know if i shoulb buy a 650 or a 750w psu. Im upgrading some stuff in my rig and i dont know if a 650w psu can handle it.

I have a maximus v gene, a 3770k ( which i plan to overclock to 4.something ghz) , a dark rock pro 2, a ssd and a hdd and im gonna buy a r9 290 ( custom coller obviously) thats gonna get a little bit of oveclocking up his butt.

I'm thinking of getting a Corsair RM one cause i want my rig to be as quiet as possible and the flat cables caught my attention.

Is the 650w psu cappable of handling this or should i get a 750w?

Thanks alot guys!!

650 watt would handle it but it's better to not be close to the limit of the psu, for better efficency go with the 750 watt, always helpfull for later upgrades too

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

MORE POWER!!!! You don't need any more at the moment but you might in the future?

650 is plenty enough 

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

650 is enough for that and maybe a second GPU (depending on which GPU). However I am not sure you can get 4+ GHz on a dark rock.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

650 is enough for that and maybe a second GPU (depending on which GPU). However I am not sure you can get 4+ GHz on a dark rock.

yeah you can, some people get it till 4.5ghz! Its a best cooler and its less uglier than noctua ones!

MORE POWER!!!! You don't need any more at the moment but you might in the future?

well you have a point there and the difference between a 650 and a 750 one is only 7€ on the store i usually buy my stuff.

yeah you can, some people get it till 4.5ghz! Its a best cooler and its less uglier than noctua ones!

Yeah and some people win the silicon lottery. It is a good cooler but it is not the best, I am afraid the NH-D14 holds that crown. I am well aware of what the Dark Rock can do but you shouldn't overestimate your cooler or underestimate the heat output of Ivy.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

You can get up to 5 ghz with the 212 Evo if you delid.

4.5 ghz is very doable as well without delidding.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the 650 Watt is more than enough for your rig, but if you are planning on going Crossfire, you might wanna consider a 750 Watt power supply.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

the 650 Watt is more than enough for your rig, but if you are planning on going Crossfire, you might wanna consider a 750 Watt power supply.

650w is fine, but if youre overclocking and have the money get 750w.

its not about the money, the difference between one and the other is only 7€ ( around 10$) so its not that much. Ill probably go with the 750w just cause its a small difference in price.

Any other PSU i should look at from seasonic or another brand? I really want a quiet one and the RM series caught my eye cause of the flat cables which make my cable management on my 350d a light breeze!

Yeah and some people win the silicon lottery. It is a good cooler but it is not the best, I am afraid the NH-D14 holds that crown. I am well aware of what the Dark Rock can do but you shouldn't overestimate your cooler or underestimate the heat output of Ivy.

You got a point on the silicon lottery! Actually i've read alot of reviews and the dark rock pro 2 beats the nh-d14 in every test for just a degree or two. Its a small margin but it looks way better than the noctua one and im willing to drop 10€ more just for the sake of looks  ( and im getting an equal/better performance)