New Gaming Build (1440p 144hz)

Hello all,

Would love your help/feedback on the following build before I pull the trigger!  I play whatever current mainstream titles are popular and want to upgrade my gaming experience.  Currently playing on 1080p 60hz w/ GTX 770.  I just got a big promotion at work and it is time to treat myself to some nice things!  Any place that I should scale up or scale down?  All feedback is appreciated!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QX6NzY

Do you really need 32Gb of memory? If so, just get a 4x8Gb kit instead of two 2x8Gb kits.

If you don't already have an HDD that you plan on using, get one of those too. Aim for 1-2Tb.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

32 GB of RAM feels kind of unneccessary, IMO. Unless you need it for some other task, you should be fine with 16GB and use the money for a better cooling solution

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

32gb of ram seems unnecessary if you are just gaming would probably get a better cooler with the money and a 8700k with the money.

Main PC = I5 7600K @4.5ghz, Asus Gtx1070, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz, 480GB SSD, Msi Z270 Mobo.

Here's what you should change:

- Buy an 8700K instead of an 8600K

- Buy something like a NH D15, the Hyper 212 EVO doesn't make sense in such a high end build

- Buy 2x8GB of ram, I have 32GB and even I think it's overkill unless you're really gonna use it all

- Buy a 970 Pro instead of a 960 EVO

- Throw in a WD Blue 1T, your SSD might run out of storage pretty soon

- Swap that PSU out for something better like a Corsair RM750x

- Buy a smaller case (just my opinion)

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Thanks for the feedback (so quickly!!).  I've made some changes per the recommendations (I have another large SSD in my current computer that I will put in this new one).  Thank you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V9bRV6

2 hours ago, timmyg88 said:

Thanks for the feedback (so quickly!!).  I've made some changes per the recommendations (I have another large SSD in my current computer that I will put in this new one).  Thank you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V9bRV6

I would go with the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 over the Noctua as it looks a hell of a lot nicer and will perform just as good.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut would be my choice for paste.

The 970 Pro won't really do much if this is just a gaming pc. I would go with a good SATA SSD such as the 860 EVO.

A 550W psu would be enough. No real need for 750W. Something like the Seasonic Focus Gold should be cheaper. The RMx is a good unit though.