i7 870 Overheating ?

Hey Guys ,

Today I bought a used i7 870 replacing my old i3 530 .I swapped the CPU and applied thermal paste and screwed in the stock cooler. The problem is that it is overheating while gaming.At ideal the temp varies from 45-50°c and while playing AC origins it went up to 94° and most of the time below 90°.the sound of the cooler is so annoying when it gets high temp.Is this safe or will something bad happen? I don't have the money to buy a cooler now . What should I do ? Is it going to be alright ?? Plz help .

Should be the stock cooler which is not build for cooling that CPU while gaming.

Replace the CPU-cooler and everything should be fine.

Also make sure to remove any dust in your case.

Well you went from a 73w TDP processor to a 95w TDP processor so it sounds like your stock cooler just cant dissipate the heat well enough for that cpu. I think that cpu has a max temp of 100c although staying at that high of a temp can cause a processor to prematurely die. I would suggest getting a better cooler if possible. 

23 minutes ago, Amal Dev said:

Hey Guys ,

Today I bought a used i7 870 replacing my old i3 530 .I swapped the CPU and applied thermal paste and screwed in the stock cooler. The problem is that it is overheating while gaming.At ideal the temp varies from 45-50°c and while playing AC origins it went up to 94° and most of the time below 90°.the sound of the cooler is so annoying when it gets high temp.Is this safe or will something bad happen? I don't have the money to buy a cooler now . What should I do ? Is it going to be alright ?? Plz help .

I switched from an i5-750 to X3470, which I believe is the same as the 870. It runs fine and does not get hotter than 80 degrees under the stock OEM cooler of the 750, which looks like a normal Intel one (it does like to make noise at full load). What model of cooler are you using?

12 minutes ago, Dewen said:

Should be the stock cooler which is not build for cooling that CPU while gaming.

Replace the CPU-cooler and everything should be fine.

Also make sure to remove any dust in your case.

Don't have the money to buy the cooler now.

16 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Well you went from a 73w TDP processor to a 95w TDP processor so it sounds like your stock cooler just cant dissipate the heat well enough for that cpu. I think that cpu has a max temp of 100c although staying at that high of a temp can cause a processor to prematurely die. I would suggest getting a better cooler if possible. 

Don't have the money now for a cooler

9 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

I switched from an i5-750 to X3470, which I believe is the same as the 870. It runs fine and does not get hotter than 80 degrees under the stock OEM cooler of the 750, which looks like a normal Intel one (it does like to make noise at full load). What model of cooler are you using?

xeons tend to run cooler than core iX :)

16 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

xeons tend to run cooler than core iX :)

The X3470 and the i7-870 are both 4c/8t CPU's which both have a TDP of 95W and both are clocked at 2,93 GHz with a boost up to 3,6 GHz... Except for the memory support on the Xeon I would even say these processors are identical. 

This is not a Xeon-Ex-xxxxL processor... How would the Xeon run cooler than it's Core equivalent?

1 minute ago, Pyramiden said:

The X3470 and the i7-870 are both 4c/8t CPU's which both have a TDP of 95W and both are clocked at 2,93 GHz with a boost up to 3,6 GHz... Except for the memory support on the Xeon I would even say these processors are identical. 

This is not a Xeon-Ex-xxxxL processor... How would the Xeon run cooler than it's Core equivalent?

binning, sillicone lottery

24 minutes ago, Amal Dev said:

Don't have the money now for a cooler

What kind of cooler do you have right now? and how is the airflow in your case? Maybe just upgrading the CPU fan on the existing heatsink, or mounting an outtake fan would be plenty to cool your i7.

3 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

What kind of cooler do you have right now? and how is the airflow in your case? Maybe just upgrading the CPU fan on the existing heatsink, or mounting an outtake fan would be plenty to cool your i7.

I'm assuming it's the i3 stock cooler (which is weaker than the i7 one he SHOULD have.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm assuming it's the i3 stock cooler (which is weaker than the i7 one he SHOULD have.

I would expect that, but I have no idea which model of heatsink his PC has. If it is big enough heatsink upgrading the fan might actually work.
This cooler is far from being a quality cooler, but seems to manage fine, for me:

pol_pl_COOLER-AVC-socket-1155-1156-1489_

10 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

binning, sillicone lottery

I had no idea that would actually make a significant difference. It would be interesting to see a thorough test.

My cooler is not that same intel stock cooler...it has more heatsink than the intel stock cooler but my CPU gets about 90° everyone on load.

3 minutes ago, Amal Dev said:

My cooler is not that same intel stock cooler...it has more heatsink than the intel stock cooler but my CPU gets about 90° everyone on load.

make sure it's mounted properly and the fan is running well, save up for a cooler in the meantime(used or new doesn't matter as long as it's better).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

37 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

I had no idea that would actually make a significant difference. It would be interesting to see a thorough test.

yeah, the difference  in xeons vs some i7 is that they are picked as the coolest and best performing, they might require less voltage to keep the same clock so they run cooler , simple