Transferring Windows 7 to a new drive

d3nia1

So I got a bigger hybrid drive to transfer everything from my 2 old drives onto. So I partitioned the drive into 2 parts. One big enough to hold all my old data and the rest. So I created a system image and put it on one partition. Then I loaded up windows and I installed windows 7 onto the new drive. When I go to the restore menu on windows the system image that I created does nt show up.

Should I have installed windows 7 onto the empty partition? Should I just start over and try to use some other software? What do I do? I just want to move everything from 2 smaller drives onto this one big drive

What did you make the image with? Windows? Some other backup program? I assume Windows.

I don't believe that's how Restore works on Windows. You can't restore an image that wasn't of the installation of Windows you are currently on. So since that Windows installation wasn't the one used to make that image, you can't restore to it. I could be wrong. I doubt it. 

I personally would use AOMEI Backupper to move the Windows installation. I prefer it because it's easy (imo) and free. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.