Should I sell my 8700k and get an 8086k soon or no?

Or is there any news if the new octo cores will work on Z370?

My 8700k can't do 5 GHz without too much voltage, and I wanted maximum performance in an ITX build.

Linus is my fetish.

Seems like an 'upgrade' to the 8086k would be a waste of money as it is essentially an overclocked 8700k. You won't find much if any real world performance boosts, only minor ones in select benchmarks. As for the 'new octa cores', you there isn't any reason that I can find to suggest an incompatibility with z370. Edit: my 7700k can hit 5Ghz if I really push the voltage, so I don't understand why your 8700k might not, seems like a dud chip.

Edited by ManuKnife

2 minutes ago, ManuKnife said:

Seems like an 'upgrade' to the 8086k would be a waste of money as it is essentially an overclocked 8700k. You won't find much if any real world performance boosts, only minor ones in select benchmarks. As for the 'new octa cores', you there isn't any reason that I can find to suggest an incompatibility with z370. 

Ty, I'll wait and see if the 8 cores will be compatible with my mobo first. Last I read people were saying it would need the Z390 board.

Linus is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Bhav said:

Ty, I'll wait and see if the 8 cores will be compatible with my mobo first. Last I read people were saying it would need the Z390 board.

Well, there's a chance it'd need z390, however, there's no technical reasons I can find to suggest so. And there's no articles suggesting one way or the other. Good luck.

8 minutes ago, Bhav said:

See if there's a BIOS update available for your board. That'll usually tell you if newer CPUs are going to be releasing on that chipset, but I'm not aware that one would be out this early(bear in mind I have no real idea of when the 8086K is launching).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

See if there's a BIOS update available for your board. That'll usually tell you if newer CPUs are going to be releasing on that chipset, but I'm not aware that one would be out this early(bear in mind I have no real idea of when the 8086K is launching).

I was basing it from OCUKs leaked posts, they said 9th June. If reviews possibly show it managing all 6 cores at 5 Ghz and 1.25v I'm gonna want that.

Linus is my fetish.

If i would be absolutely unhappy with losing the lottery i would invest in something binned from actual people instead of playing the lottery again.

I heard that 8pack will release binned 8086k's with silver IHS. But i think it'll be expansive AF.

Also dont think that z370 will be 8core compatible. I think Intel wont allow it. The first rumors we heard was that a manufacturer is skipping z370 waiting for z390 to be compatible with next gen 8core CPUs, wouldnt make much sense to skip it then.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

You shouldn't! 8700k is awesome for 2-4 years. Keep it.

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD