What thermal paste to get?

I have been looking for thermal paste, but whichever thermal paste I look at there is always people who say its not good, or have problems. So far I have looked at Arctic Silver 5, Arctic mx-4, and IC diamond. Arctic silver 5 seems good, but I have read that people have problems with curing time. Some reviews say that Arctic mx-4 is very liquidy and conductive, and for IC diamond people say that it can void your warranty because it can cause abrasion. I have an i7-7700k and am using a corsair h100i v2. The thermal paste that came pre-applied on the h100i worked great, 30c at 5ghz idle, but i needed to take cooler off for some maintenance, so i cleaned thermal paste off. Id appreciate if anyone has any other recommendations or suggestions for thermal pastes, this is a little overwhelming with all these different pastes out there.

CPU: i7-7700k Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z270e Gaming RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX Vengence @3000MHz GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: NZXT s340 Elite White Monitor: Asus VG248QE Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury Edition Headset: Razer Manowar

Arctis Silver 5 is the cheapest and best option (although they're all pretty much the same).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I've always used Arctic Silver, I must have built around 20 computers with that, no problem whatsoever :)

I have a 7700K with a H100i V2 too, with AC ofc

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

5 minutes ago, Hashiba said:

I've always used Arctic Silver, I must have built around 20 computers with that, no problem whatsoever :)

I have a 7700K with a H100i V2 too, with AC ofc

Thanks, this helps alot! But do I have to wait for the paste to cure or can I use it right away?

CPU: i7-7700k Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z270e Gaming RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX Vengence @3000MHz GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: NZXT s340 Elite White Monitor: Asus VG248QE Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury Edition Headset: Razer Manowar

Just now, mrsebe said:

Thanks, this helps alot! But do I have to wait for the paste to cure or can I use it right away?

Arctic Silver has a 200 hour cure time.

I would personally use Kryonaut and if you don't want to pay the premium for that then MX-4 or NT-H1 would also be good options.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

2 minutes ago, mrsebe said:

You can use it right away, it will just run a little hotter(5C hotter or so) before it's cured.

1 minute ago, mrsebe said:

nah, you just apply it, and use it right away, there might be some thermal stabilization going on for a while but don't worry about it, it's perfectly normal. Enjoy!

20 minutes ago, Hashiba said:

nah, you just apply it, and use it right away, there might be some thermal stabilization going on for a while but don't worry about it, it's perfectly normal. Enjoy!

20 minutes ago, timl132 said:

You can use it right away, it will just run a little hotter(5C hotter or so) before it's cured.

Alright, thanks!

21 minutes ago, Hashiba said:

Oh, I forgot to ask where you buy it from? Its on Amazon but some of the one star reviews say that its fake, its on newegg though and it looks legit.

14 minutes ago, mrsebe said:

Oh, I forgot to ask where you buy it from? Its on Amazon but some of the one star reviews say that its fake, its on newegg though and it looks legit.

I think I've ordered AC from amazon before, but I believe that you might be able to find it on some Best buys or Fry's too

1 hour ago, mrsebe said:

there is always people who say its not good, or have problems.

Welcome to the internet, the world of cat memes and the place where everyone has somehting negative to say about something/someone ;)

Any thermalpaste will do the job. Just make sure it is not conductive. The difference is minimal.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

37 minutes ago, MaratM said:

Any thermalpaste will do the job. Just make sure it is not conductive. The difference is minimal.

Liquid metal is an excellent thermal “paste”, better than Kryonaut, MX-4, NT-H1... and is conductive!

I've use arctic silver 5 and ic diamond and both are excellent. IC diamond is nice because it has no curing time with a long usage life and its consistency is excellent. With that said I have noticed that on cpus it tends to wear away the laser etching that is on the top of the ihs. On gpus it definitely gives them micro scratches however it does not harm performance in any meaningful way. Silver 5 is excellent though it has a thinner consistency and is supposed to have a longer curing time. I've had no complaints with it so far though be aware it is electrically conductive. The mx4 is pretty much as good as the silver 5 but it is not electrically conductive. Alternatively, you could use something like thermal grizzly kryonaut which is stupidly highly regarded. I just ordered some so I'll let you know how it is when I get it. It isn't electrically conductive and i believe it's supposed to have pretty much no curing time. The only bad part is that one gram costs about $10 so it is more expensive than the other two. Another thing you could consider is IC diamonds new graphite pad which is supposed to be pretty much as good as their IC diamond but it is reusable and very consistent. So if you have to clean anything again you could just reuse that pad. I believe on amazon it is about $15 right now.

http://a.co/cee44C3

13 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

I've use arctic silver 5 and ic diamond and both are excellent. IC diamond is nice because it has no curing time with a long usage life and its consistency is excellent. With that said I have noticed that on cpus it tends to wear away the laser etching that is on the top of the ihs. On gpus it definitely gives them micro scratches however it does not harm performance in any meaningful way. Silver 5 is excellent though it has a thinner consistency and is supposed to have a longer curing time. I've had no complaints with it so far though be aware it is electrically conductive. The mx4 is pretty much as good as the silver 5 but it is not electrically conductive. Alternatively, you could use something like thermal grizzly kryonaut which is stupidly highly regarded. I just ordered some so I'll let you know how it is when I get it. It isn't electrically conductive and i believe it's supposed to have pretty much no curing time. The only bad part is that one gram costs about $10 so it is more expensive than the other two. Another thing you could consider is IC diamonds new graphite pad which is supposed to be pretty much as good as their IC diamond but it is reusable and very consistent. So if you have to clean anything again you could just reuse that pad. I believe on amazon it is about $15 right now.

http://a.co/cee44C3

Thanks for the help! So I ended up getting arctic silver 5 because of the amount of people satisfied with it, it helps a lot getting advice from people more experienced than me :)

5 minutes ago, mrsebe said:

Thanks for the help! So I ended up getting arctic silver 5 because of the amount of people satisfied with it, it helps a lot getting advice from people more experienced than me :)

Have you already applied the thermal paste?

On 6/6/2018 at 6:03 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

Have you already applied the thermal paste?

Yes, why?

15 minutes ago, mrsebe said:

Yes, why?

Just to know if it turned out alright after all  :-)

20 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Just to know if it turned out alright after all  :-)

Oh, ya it turned out nice, its working, thanks for the help! :)

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2018 at 4:37 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

Liquid metal is an excellent thermal “paste”, better than Kryonaut, MX-4, NT-H1... and is conductive!

That really depends on the application. If you are, for example, working with a desktop GPU then you're going to see any major gains using Conductonaut liquid metal over Kryonaut.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM