Why do people buy macbooks?

I see a lot of people who have a gaming rig and then they have a MacBook on the side. I don't get it, what's special about macbooks? They have zero upgradability, lower end specs and they cost loads more than windows laptops..

10 minutes ago, maplevirus said:

cost loads more than windows laptops..

Not all of the time

They are very stable and reliable systems and you always know what you are getting. People like them for being quality builds that perform well. My 2009 iMac works pretty decently still today, and it's already in the first grade. (I'm a PC guy, not a fanboy jsyk)

May not be the best, but they are stable and you know exactly what you are getting 99% of the time.

They are overpriced, but they are well engineered. Still overpriced tho.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

Not all of the time

They are very stable and reliable systems and you always know what you are getting. People like them for being quality builds that perform well. My 2009 iMac works pretty decently still today, and it's already in the first grade. (I'm a PC guy, not a fanboy jsyk)

May not be the best, but they are stable and you know exactly what you are getting 99% of the time.

Ah okay

sometimes you want a gaming machine, but sometimes you want a sleek productivity machine, with the most neat yet BSD/UNIX based OS inside, made out of a chunk of aluminum designed by unicorn ponies.

disclaimer I own a MacBookAir, and I'm totally going to upgrade to the next model if/when its released 

disclamer 2: I own many systems running MacOS, Linux and Windows (for gaming mostly)

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

23 minutes ago, maplevirus said:

I see a lot of people who have a gaming rig and then they have a MacBook on the side. I don't get it, what's special about macbooks? They have zero upgradability, lower end specs and they cost loads more than windows laptops..

I bought a 2016 MacBook Pro (preowned) about a year ago since more and more of the places I help with IT have "bring your own device" type programs, and some people like bringing macs.

I considered it more of an investment in learning (hands on) rather than a value proposition, which it most definitely was not.

I'm obviously an outlier, most of what folk have said already here are the reasons most people buy them. I imagine some people also buy them because they have an iPhone and think an apple computer would be most compatible, and I guess they aren't exactly wrong. iTunes on Windows is a bit of a mess, though at least the new UWP bridge version isn't as bulky.

Software is a big part of it. Apple has a lot of great software that you can't (legally) use on a Windows computer.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I'm a mac user but I have a gaming rig too.

1. Trackpad - Large, smooth, accurate, better than any windows precision trackpad I've tried. Even actuation force no matter where you click thanks to the "force touch"

2. The Ecosystem - If you have an iphone, things like airdrop, imessage (being able to text from your laptop), syncing calendars, photos (though google photos is good if not better), their ecosystem feels very polished, easy, and intuitive.

I guess those are the two biggest thing for me. 

10 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

resilience, build quality?

You've got to be kidding me...

Louis Rossman on youtube, he speaks at length with many years of experience repairing apple products and how poorly they're built and how easily they break. The video is "apple engineering" or something along those lines

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (wraith spire prism)

Motherboard: MSI B550 tomahawk

RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 windforce(dead, gtx 1080 on the way)

Case: Fractal design define r5 (black icue corsair 220t soon)

Storage: let's not talk about this okay?

It ain't much, but she's mine

1 hour ago, Alexsolo said:

Metal casing, quality parts, they are well built. The design is another issue, but that doesn't take away from the aluminum shell the laptop comes in, vs plastic laptops like cheap HP pavilions.

I have an HP Pavillion

I don't want an HP Pavillion

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

On 02/06/2018 at 4:33 PM, Alexsolo said:

Metal casing, quality parts, they are well built. The design is another issue, but that doesn't take away from the aluminum shell the laptop comes in, vs plastic laptops like cheap HP pavilions.

just because something comes enamoured with metal does not mean that it is well build, you do not seem to grasp the concept of "quality" as you failed to watch any of louis's content where he goes into detail about the massive failings of Apples design and how it damages the components with massive amounts of heat and dust accumulation. Please just go watch a single video of his before you come to me and spout ignorance like this. I'll be here to say sorry if you are able to provide any kind of proof to the contrary

12 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

I do watch Louis' content, I know MAC's have design flaws... 

I'm just saying the physical quality of the material they use is what makes them "well built" as in physically strong.

I don't see a lot of MAC's with hinge problems, loose I/O ports... I'm just saying that the manner in which they are built makes them sturdy machines, whether or not the design of the circuit boards or chips inside withstand minor issues or are well designed is another story and not the point I was trying to make...

A1226/A1260 2007-2008 Macbook GPU failures, warranty service refusal
A1226/A1260 2007-2008 Macbook Pro hinge/frame problem
A1286 Macbook Pro - the "Unibody" myth, glued together pieces fall apart
A1286/A1297 MCP power circuit failure due to poor buck converter design: C7771 issue
iPhone 4 cellular placement fail
iPhone 5 power button problem
A1286 2010 Macbook Pro GPU kernel panics due to same buck converter defect from 2008/2009(this gives you a hint that apple engineers doesn't give a crap about engineering good products, same design flaw for three straight years)
A1286 2011 Macbook Pro GPU failure, Apple gets sued over not addressing problem. 
Apple gives out badly refurbished boards as warranty replacements for 2011 GPU failures.
2012 Retina Macbook Pro: another motherboard issue (U8900), due to poor soldering/manufacturing method on the GPU buck converter. 
Mac Pro GPU failure (again).
iPhone 6/6+ touchscreen issue due to structural issue. 
SSD soldered straight into the motherboard+ chip that would kill the macbook, because a power line would short out to ground when the chip dies.
2016 Macbook keyboard reliability issue.
2016 Macbook Battery failure issue.
A1278 Macbook Pro SATA cable failures(yes, really).

"quality build" 

On 6/1/2018 at 10:58 PM, maplevirus said:

At least for the Macbook they are very compact and portable.  Good battery life.  A entry level priced Apple product that allows you to have a device roughly the same size of an iPad but with OSX abilities.    

Are they worth it IMO: oh hell no since they start at $1300 for a m3 processor and go to $1950 fully loaded with just a dual core.  However the rumor is Apple is going to make this the true entry level Apple device when they refresh it at $1000 starting price.  Which leaves me wondering what Apple will do with the MBA since that can't still remain bellow a Macbook if it's getting properly refreshed.    

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

18 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

Yeah HP is stronger with their Elitebook and Probook line of laptops, they're made for business use, have metal frames inside (some have metal bodies) which is nice. 

Plus they usually have 3 year warranties, so you know they're built to last. 

Not mine. Hand-me-down. About to go into Kindergarten (It has a birthday in BIOS)