can't find a proper mechanical keyboard

aezakmi
Go to solution Solved by MoonlightSylv,

Google Das Keyboards, they have a lot of more professional looking ones.

I've been scrolling through newegg all day trying to find a new keyboard (current one has some dead keys like the Q i have to press it really hard to make it work)

Seems like every keyboard is now a "gaming" keyboard and has a lot of useless stuff I don't need. I need something with...

• Keys...
  • Wrist rest (optional)
  • Numpad
  • PS/2 or USB
  • Fast response time
  • The ability to detect multiple keys pressed at the same time (for DOTA and League, my current kbd fails if I press more than 2 at the same time)

and without

• LEDs or backlight
  • Weird designs
  • Additional keys
  • Software
  • "Gaming" extras

I currently have a cheap microsoft keyboard that is 8 years old and has half of the keycaps repainted with wite-out. Budget $80 can do $100

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Check out Ducky Keyboards, you'll find tkl and full size 108 keys models for 100bucks, minimalistic no bs awesomeness, I think you'll like them

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

5 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I've been scrolling through newegg all day trying to find a new keyboard (current one has some dead keys like the Q i have to press it really hard to make it work)

Seems like every keyboard is now a "gaming" keyboard and has a lot of useless stuff I don't need. I need something with...

• Keys...
  • Wrist rest (optional)
  • Numpad
  • PS/2 or USB
  • Fast response time
  • The ability to detect multiple keys pressed at the same time (for DOTA and League, my current kbd fails if I press more than 2 at the same time)

and without

• LEDs or backlight
  • Weird designs
  • Additional keys
  • Software
  • "Gaming" extras

I currently have a cheap microsoft keyboard that is 8 years old and has half of the keycaps repainted with wite-out. Budget $80 can do $100

I'm using a Qpad keyboard (Mk 80) with cherry MX browns. It *does* have LEDs, but they are single colour (blue) and are disabled by default, to enable them you manually press a keyboard shortcut once your machine boots. It has no built in SRAM so once restarted the keyboard defaults to off for it's LED's. Basically, if you never enable them, they'll never be on.

It has PS2, USB and line in/mic cables, to make use of the usb ports on the board, or the mic/audio jacks. All but the PS2 port are optional. It comes with a wrist rest and full numpad.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

CM Storm Ultimate. And you can disable the LED. Every extra function is done with Fn button so no need for SW.

Filco, Das, Ducky, Cooler Master, WASD (their CODE keyboard also comes with a nice white backlight), GIGABYTE (specifically their FORCE keyboard), Feenix Autore and Rosewill.

12 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Do you have any experience from mechanical switches?

They have vastly different behaviour/feel to standard membrane/rubber dome or "chiclet"/scissor switch.

Also their noise level is entirely different if you like quieter keyboard, because most switch designs simply fail to give damn about noise.

5 hours ago, EsaT said:

Do you have any experience from mechanical switches?

They have vastly different behaviour/feel to standard membrane/rubber dome or "chiclet"/scissor switch.

Also their noise level is entirely different if you like quieter keyboard, because most switch designs simply fail to give damn about noise.

a friend of mine has a razer keyboard and he let me play games with it and there's a big difference between that and my crap keyboard, I don't care about the noise as I use earbuds while gaming and can't hear anything from the outside

17 hours ago, Sylvie05 said:

Man... Das Keyboard 4 Professional looks just like I want, it's $130

16 hours ago, geo3 said:

Ducky or CoolerMaster should have you covered.

Found the "Ducky Zero" but is flagged as discontinued

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB