Help identifying M.2 slot Key type

Daan101

Alrighty so I want to upgrade my laptop's m.2 drive, but after doing some research I still am not confident enough in my ability to identify the key type slot.

So from what I can tell the slot has a M key on it and the SSD is a B&M key.

the SSD I am going to upgrade to would be a 960 evo which has a M key.

Could anyone confirm my findings?

sorry if this is the wrong section, and if you need any more info feel free to ask!

thanks in advance!

IMG_20180529_230642.jpg

IMG_20180529_230650.jpg

IMG_20180529_230802.jpg

Looks like a regular m.2 slot, but that's just the form factor though. The problem however is that your ssd is a sata drive, and you want to upgrade to a nvme drive. You should check if your motherboard supports nvme drives, even though it fits, it might not work if it's not supported. 

That is M key slot. You can identify it as pins from 59-67 are blocked. Pin numbers are labeled just under the slot.

The B key has pins 12-19 blocked.

But as @MkaiL said

13 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

You should check if your motherboard supports nvme drives, even though it fits, it might not work if it's not supported. 

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

The SSD pictured is an M.2 SATA, while the 960 EVO is an M.2 PCIe/NVME.

But as said, check the laptop specs to see if it supports NVME drives 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

so there appears to be a version of my laptop which has a NVMe drive, and I don't see them changing the motherboard just for a different config.

(on a side note I also learned my laptop has Nvidia optimus, still has shit battery life tho)

I shall buy the drive after my finals and install it,

Thanks for the help!!