Accessing network drive via internet

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out a way (or learn that is simply isn't doable) to access a network drive via the internet. The folder is and program are stored on a server running Windows Server 2012 R2.

I need to use a particular program and with it, a folder with all files for it. Up until now, I have used a remote desktop service to run the program through a PC on the network, but it is so slow and frustrating that I would rather not use it at all. 

Is there a way to access the files safely? I wouldn't mind downloading the entire folder to have locally, I just need to be able to upload my progress to the folder on the server. Is there a convenient way to do this?

Would it be a bad idea to install google drive on one of the local computers to make the folder available that way?

Thanks in advance - have a great day/evening,

Mascen

I believe if you have a VPN you can mount the share directly. VPN I think uses one of the OSI security layers for security, but I forget which one -- for security.

How to set up a VPN in Windows

https://www.pcworld.com/article/210562/networking/how-set-up-vpn-in-windows.html

Living Room: HTPC (M1 Mac Mini 8/256) HiFi (Furman Elite-15 PFi > Cambridge 851N > Emotiva A300 > Focal Chora 826) Display (65-inch LG Oled, 22-inch Dell)

Office: Workstation (AMD 3900X, RX5700XT, 32GB) Headphones (Cambridge DacMagic+ > Schiit Lyr 3 > DT 990. 2 Sonos One in Stereo) Display (32-inch Gigabyte)

2 hours ago, lttUser1234 said:

I believe if you have a VPN you can mount the share directly.

thats the only way to do it unfortunately and that has problems 

for example, some programs won't install on a network drive/share and some will refuse to start unless they are on a local drive

your best bet is to just install the program normenly and have your work stored on the network drive/share

if you are ok with that route, then a VPN won't be nessery as there are programs available that allow you to have your own personal cloud storage and that would be simpler to setup then a VPN based method with a network drive/share

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Assuming the data will fit on google drive - that would be the simplest. 

Avoid FTP.

Google drive (or other cloud storage) gives you the freedom of not poking holes in your network and dead simple - best choice personally. 

Con: Costs money after xx GB.

Nextcloud / Owncloud once configured gives you a Google Drive / Dropbox feeling, but self hosted. My second personal choice.

Con: Limited to HTTPS combined with username/password for security. Have to keep apache up to date since you're exposing a webserver.

SSH gives you the most flexibility in security, then you can download an application that supports SCP to push/pull files.

Con: Can be complex for a beginner if configured to be secure.

VPN Like SSH gives your more flexibility in security.

Con: Can be complex to setup. May also give a little more access to the whole network than intended - fine if it's just for you but for friends and others you may not want to have access to everything on the same subnet. 

Thank you so much for your comments! I am not super savvy when it comes to configuring all this stuff - am just starting to dip my toe. I have sort of been tasked with taking over the network situation at my girlfriends veterinary clinic and am trying to understand what's been done in the past and how everything is set up. We have about 18 users on and all run the same program and need access to the same files. I don't think the files take up much space so I think the 15 GB Google provides would be adequate - at least for now. I would prefer to run the software off the network drive or Google drive if possible, as I am not sure if there is a license for all computers or how it has been set up. 

Again, thank you all for your feedback!

Just had a look now and the folder of files is at 56.3 GB. Because I am trying to do this without adding cost I am going to try something different. I will explore the different options you have laid out. There are only going to be 3 users. The owner, manager and myself. I don't know how concerned I should be when it comes to security. Definitely don't want to open us up to any danger - these files are confidential after all.

It looks like setting up a VPN on Windows Server 2012 R2 is fairly simple. Is it safe as well? Sorry for all the questions. I am very new to all of this. I really appreciate any/all advice.

11 hours ago, mascen said:

It looks like setting up a VPN on Windows Server 2012 R2 is fairly simple. Is it safe as well? Sorry for all the questions. I am very new to all of this. I really appreciate any/all advice.

VPN is pretty secure as long as you use the correct protocol. Which protocol are you using to set up your VPN? Also you can set up Active Directory Authentication to help limit access 

I haven't set anything up yet and am unsure which protocol to use. What is the most secure? What would you recommend? 

Thanks

8 hours ago, mascen said:

I haven't set anything up yet and am unsure which protocol to use. What is the most secure? What would you recommend? 

Thanks

Well you have PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN. If you want it secure and fast I would recommend openvpn but it's a liitle more complex to set up. Layer 2 tunnel protocol (L2TP) is also as secure as openvpn with both supporting up to 256 bit session keys however L2TP is slower than openvpn and PPTP. I would not recommend PPTP if security is a concern. If you can, openvpn would be the way to go

If the computers at the clinic are not on a domain, look at using Teamviewer. Maybe 1:1 it, each employee can log into their own desktops with their own login. No real reason to give everyone access to a single computer (that would require a license or shared login anyway). The downside is leaving the computers on 24/7 would cost roughly $5/m per computer in electricity (assuming 60w draw at 12 cents per kwh). Possibly less because they're already on 8 hours of the day, but you get the idea.

I haven't looked (in a while) but windows has limited VPN options (PPTP/IPSEC). But if files are confidential then a self-hosted/VPN solution may be the best option. 

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Easy_Windows_Guide

OpenVPN is free, and a lot of us are here to help - give that a shot. You will need access to the router to port forward, generally isn't too hard.

Thank you for your input! I actually found teamviewer to be quite at bit faster than the other system we've been using, but there still is a noticeable delay, which makes it harder to get work done. 

I actually just downloaded OpenVPN on the server and am about to set it all up. I will keep you posted - thanks again!

Teamviewer is set to automatically adjust performance vs quality, there's a setting to prioritize performance over quality that might help - to the point of B&W lol.

I have now installed and set up OpenVPN on our server following this guide: http://blog.bobbyallen.me/2016/02/07/setting-up-openvpn-server-on-windows-2012-r2/

I only set up one user for now (me) and don't really know how to set up the client from my computer as his guide only mentions mac and my laptop is windows. Is there any way you could assist me in setting up the client? I am completely clueless right now, because all the guide get configuration files from some website and I am not sure which ones to grab and where to put them (big noob here, I know) - I think I just made the files when setting up the server part, right? What do I need to move the the client computer?

Thank you!

I only skimmed through it, but the nice thing is how easy it is between OSs. You should have generated a config file and possibly certificate (I assume under "Configure the Client OpenVPN config file"). OpenVPN has a windows client - just download and install it, and place the config file (+ cert) under c:\users\USERNAME\OpenVPN\Config. Then click the icon on your desktop, and in your system tray the OpenVPN icon will appear. Right click it > connect.

It gives me this error in the log: 

Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --cert fails with 'client.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Mon Jun 04 17:15:16 2018 WARNING: cannot stat file 'client.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --key fails with 'client.key'
Mon Jun 04 17:15:16 2018 WARNING: cannot stat file 'ta.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --tls-auth fails with 'ta.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: Please correct these errors.
Use --help for more information.

I guess I probably used the wrong files. I wonder if the files shown in the guide for mac are the same I need to use? 

I haven't been able to get it to work so I have now uninstalled everything on the server and on my laptop. I will try to start over. I find it difficult to edit the text files because I don't know if I remove too much or too little or if I write it correctly. 

The server and client configuration need to be identical for the most part, the respective certificate should be with the config file when you copy them over.

Just to get more eyes/help on this, start a new topic under networking regarding OpenVPN, tag me too if you don't mind.