Kali problem with lockscreen - Piece of shizzle..

Hello guys. So first off, I'm a newbie so bear with me. I installed kali linux on VM. Now, I logged in with root, and this fucking clock/time pop up thingy keeps coming up, I press ESC for it to go away, it goes away for about 2-3 secs and then comes back in...

It also had some Automatic Suspend notifications in there, but i managed to disable those. Anyone help pleaseeee Screenshot_1.png.5b18318653c280a671549d8a073ef822.png

That should be the lock screen... Not sure what's happening though.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

6 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

That should be the lock screen... Not sure what's happening though.

It is, I guess... I press ESC to get off the lock screen, and 2-3 secs later, the lock screen scrolls down again, and again.... 

No offence, but this is what happens when you're a "newbie" and you try to install an ultraspecific distribution that wasn't intended for normal use. Kali is not meant to be installed anywhere - you should run it in its live environment. If I had a penny for every new user having problems because they tried to run kali as a desktop os, I'd be rich. If you're new to linux go for something like ubuntu mate or linux mint, most all of kali's tools are available for those too anyway.

As for answering the question directly, you probably misconfigured the installer - you may have forgotten to add a normal user, for example. Still, as I said, don't use kali like this.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

No offence, but this is what happens when you're a "newbie" and you try to install an ultraspecific distribution that wasn't intended for normal use. Kali is not meant to be installed anywhere - you should run it in its live environment. If I had a penny for every new user having problems because they tried to run kali as a desktop os, I'd be rich. If you're new to linux go for something like ubuntu mate or linux mint, most all of kali's tools are available for those too anyway.

As for answering the question directly, you probably misconfigured the installer - you may have forgotten to add a normal user, for example. Still, as I said, don't use kali like this.

You're suppose to run Kali as root, as that's how most of the tools operate and it's default set-up. (It doesn't give you the option to add a user during install, you have to manually add one later if you wish, but you shouldn't). I do not understand what would be causing OP's problem, so all I could suggest is a reinstall. As for using another distribution and installing the tools you need, that may be a good idea for OP so they can learn their way around GNU/Linux and the basic operations. They don't have a real use case for Kali and thus shouldn't be using it.

15 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

You're suppose to run Kali as root, as that's how most of the tools operate and it's default set-up. (It doesn't give you the option to add a user during install, you have to manually add one later if you wish, but you shouldn't). I do not understand what would be causing OP's problem, so all I could suggest is a reinstall. As for using another distribution and installing the tools you need, that may be a good idea for OP so they can learn their way around GNU/Linux and the basic operations. They don't have a real use case for Kali and thus shouldn't be using it.

Many distributions disable the root user login by default. I'm not sure how Kali does it, but as I said, you shouldn't be installing it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 5/28/2018 at 5:59 PM, Sauron said:

Many distributions disable the root user login by default. I'm not sure how Kali does it, but as I said, you shouldn't be installing it.

I reinstalled it, but for the sake of understanding the problem, I'll take a video of it with my phone. I also tried to create a new user using the terminal and logging on with that user, but that didn't work. I'll take the video now, and upload it here. Btw, I installed the Kali as Debian 64bit. I was going to install it as Other Linux but then saw some yt vids that installed it as Debian.. 

4 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

This is a video of my problem. Please help me.. 

WhatsApp Video 2018-05-29 at 20.08.07.mp4

Maybe your live image got corrupted, it can happen. Try downloading it again - but as I already said, don't install kali. Run it as a live environment or go for a normal distribution.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 hours ago, Sauron said:

Maybe your live image got corrupted, it can happen. Try downloading it again - but as I already said, don't install kali. Run it as a live environment or go for a normal distribution.

@Sauron You mean partion my hard drive and ruan as Dual Boot? Eh... that's gonna be annoying tbh... I can I guess... What do you mean by normal distribution? Another Linux?

Theres nothing wrong with running kali in a VM. infact its probably one of the most used methods for people who have a home lab set up for messing around. There should be some premade VM images on the Kali website that should already be configured and working.

When you created the VM what did you choose as the OSin the creation wizard? Those options usually have default configurations that set up some of the VM hardware. Using the wrong default could cause problems. Whenever i set up Kali in virtualbox i use debian as the selection.

3 hours ago, iHDCool said:

@Sauron You mean partion my hard drive and ruan as Dual Boot? Eh... that's gonna be annoying tbh... I can I guess... What do you mean by normal distribution? Another Linux?

No, I mean boot off of the disk image and don't install anything - use it as is. And yes, your files will be wiped when you turn it off; it's not intended as a desktop operating system, it's intended to bring around on a pendrive so you can use its utilities on any computer you get to use. It's a distribution for pentesters, people who will run around a lot trying to break secure networks and they may not want to lug around their own laptop all the time. A normal user should install a normal distribution like ubuntu and then add pentesting tools if they need it.

And yes, another distribution is another linux based operating system.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, Fleetscut said:

Theres nothing wrong with running kali in a VM. infact its probably one of the most used methods for people who have a home lab set up for messing around. There should be some premade VM images on the Kali website that should already be configured and working.

When you created the VM what did you choose as the OSin the creation wizard? Those options usually have default configurations that set up some of the VM hardware. Using the wrong default could cause problems. Whenever i set up Kali in virtualbox i use debian as the selection.

I used Debian, tried Other Linux. Now I'm redownloading the image again, maybe it was corrupt. Uhm @Sauron I still don't understand why not run kali in VM.... 

46 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

Uhm @Sauron I still don't understand why not run kali in VM.... 

Because it's not a good desktop operating system. If you want to install it, there are plenty of distributions that do pretty much everything better and have the same tools as kali in their repository. Kali exists because some people can't install a linux distribution every time they need it, but that is not your case.

You're also going to have problems because it's not developed with the desktop in mind.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

50 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Because it's not a good desktop operating system. If you want to install it, there are plenty of distributions that do pretty much everything better and have the same tools as kali in their repository. Kali exists because some people can't install a linux distribution every time they need it, but that is not your case.

You're also going to have problems because it's not developed with the desktop in mind.

For those who have the same problem, I fixed it I guess?

I opened the terminal, used gnome-control-center power. Opened the power settings, turned off the Lock and the automatic suspend thingy. All good now :P