Onboard mic 'disconnected' thanks to 1803

BShen

Things happened like this: I updated to 1803 (actually it was MS because f*ck users' consent, right?), a lot of things broke. First was HP 3D DriveGuard (which is specific to part of HP's models and being so annoyingly hard to make it work thanks to Windows 10's crappy update system I gave up eventually), and the main topic here, mic broke too.

Although system still sees the device, but apparently it can no longer receive any audio AT ALL. Mic boost doesn't help. Before that happened, you can easily trigger mic by gently speaking from 1m outside. Now it won't, even if you shouted next to it.

If my guesses was right, it probably is also the exact same problem which apparently crippled my Audition CS6 (got spawned MME error and I'm essentially stuck with no options left).

Any options I can get before I decided to nuke-it-all, back to good ol' days of 1709?

(I wish MS could get their shit together and make one update reliable for once... they always break my drivers. ALWAYS. Fluent Design doesn't help with the shit impression I'm having with W10 right now...)

EDIT: before you ask, Premiere Pro & After Effects worked fine. Even general playback, too.

EDIT 2:

Turns out, Windows 10 may be screwing around Settings too much. I fixed the problem myself, but if anyone got hit the same problem, look here.

Go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone to allow apps control. Thanks to MS there's a lot of settings which overlapped to old controls so they're pain in the asses...

Also update drivers in case W10 screws you, again.

Edited by BShen
problem fixed, update

• 2 months later...

Good information.  I had a similar issue with going from 1703 to 1803.  I rolled it back and didn't have a problem any more.  Might try again armed with this info.