When will be the time to upgrade?

pangaea

So in waiting for prices to go down and waiting for the technology to change enough to make it worth upgrading your PC for those who aren't the kind of hardcore enthusiasts who buy 8K monitors and such, when do you think the time will come to upgrade? My 2013ish gaming PC still runs all of my games great in 1080p. So since I'm not feeling the push to upgrade and still might not for a few more years, when do you predict it will be time?

See my "home desktop" in my description if you're curious what I have but it is a more general question.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

When you feel that your pc isnt handling games as well as it should be

as long as it does what you want then theres no reason to upgrade anything, really

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

When you feel that your pc isnt handling games as well as it should be

as long as it does what you want then theres no reason to upgrade anything, really

I know, thus why I've held out on upgrading but I'm trying to predict when we'll have the hardware and software in existence to where I actually feel like it would be worth upgrading. My 2013ish PC runs all of my games at 1080p in max settings but sooner or later the technology will probably change enough to where I feel a push to upgrade. The thing I'm seeing that may create a push to upgrade for some soon is that 4K monitors are coming down in price which may make them more appealing to the mainstream market thus people buying them needing beefier GPUs to run their games. If you only care about 1080p, a computer like mine is perfectly fine though. Another thing is I remember seeing a video about new shader tech in GPUs. This could render older hardware obsolete at some point in the forseeable future.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

12 minutes ago, pangaea said:

So in waiting for prices to go down and waiting for the technology to change enough to make it worth upgrading your PC for those who aren't the kind of hardcore enthusiasts who buy 8K monitors and such, when do you think the time will come to upgrade? My 2013ish gaming PC still runs all of my games great in 1080p. So since I'm not feeling the push to upgrade and still might not for a few more years, when do you predict it will be time?

See my "home desktop" in my description if you're curious what I have but it is a more general question.

When is the time to upgrade depends on how much disposable income you have, what you want your computer to do, and how much you care about it's current capabilities. Right now the main components I would watch are SSD's and GPUs.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

my general rule is 5-10 years, it depends on factors though, like how shitty was your computer when it was new (people that bought top end systems can go longer between upgrades) is it worth it if you are happy with the performance of your current machine then you have little reason to ever upgrade, but if you want to game at higher resolutions or play VR then you probably need to upgrade.

anyone upgrading more often then 5 years I would consider them an enthusiast, anyone upgrading every generation is a moron with more money then sense.

as far as actual timing of upgrades, you have to watch things, like right now (and for much of the last year) RAM has been INSANELY priced, 2 to 3 times what I paid for mine 2 years ago, so unless you just need the parts now I strongly advise holding off on upgrades till RAM pricing returns to normal next year.

This would make an excellent LTT video now that I think about it, to discuss when people with ~5 year old hardware are going to feel the push to upgrade.