Best overall 4k display

Yakir Oz

Hey, I am looking for a 4k display. I have a dell xps 9560 (4k). Its display is amazing color wise.

I want something to be as close as possible to that. Also, I would like it for very light gaming.

My budget is around 700$, I also want it to come with type c (to connect the laptop).

I am currently thinking about the 27UK850. What do you think?

Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, tuunade98 said:

I'm also looking at the lg 27uk850, does anyone actually own this monitor? I'm specifically wondering what is the hdr10 like on it?

I have read online that this monitor is not bright enough to take full advantage of the HDR.

Any other reason to prefer this one as opposed to last's year model?

29 minutes ago, Yakir Oz said:

I have read online that this monitor is not bright enough to take full advantage of the HDR.

Any other reason to prefer this one as opposed to last's year model?

I mean, it is a PC monitor right... You'll be sitting right in front of it, don't exactly want it to be too bright. But yeah I get what you mean, maybe HDR is just not worth it at the moment on pc monitors.

6 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

I mean, it is a PC monitor right... You'll be sitting right in front of it, don't exactly want it to be too bright. But yeah I get what you mean, maybe HDR is just not worth it at the moment on pc monitors.

Maybe there are other differences though.

Also wondering how are colors on this monitor.

PG27AQ for 4K 60 Hz.

PG279Q for 1440p 144 Hz.

Both of these are 8-bit sRGB. There is limited benefit to 10-bit on apart from HDR, and don't bother with HDR unless you're getting a DisplayHDR 1000 or G-SYNC HDR model.

9 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

PG27AQ for 4K 60 Hz.

PG279Q for 1440p 144 Hz.

Both of these are 8-bit sRGB. There is limited benefit to 10-bit on apart from HDR, and don't bother with HDR unless you're getting a DisplayHDR 1000 or G-SYNC HDR model.

Will the PG27AQ produce better colors than the LG?

Can't find its adobe RGB range.

does it have a usb hub?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Yakir Oz said:

Will the PG27AQ produce better colors than the LG?

Can't find its adobe RGB range.

does it have a usb hub?

Thanks!

No the colours are worse on both models since they're 8-bit sRGB and not full Adobe RGB. AdobeRGB requires 10-bit anyway and 10-bit does not work in most 10-bit applications like Photoshop etc. because they're OpenGL. 10-bit only works in DirectX on GeForce / Radeon cards. You need to buy a Quadro / Firepro for 10-bit in all applications.

10-bit is essentially useless outside of HDR, and the LG is not a real HDR monitor.

They have two USB ports and you can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for video.

7 hours ago, Monstieur said:

No the colours are worse on both models since they're 8-bit sRGB and not full Adobe RGB. AdobeRGB requires 10-bit anyway and 10-bit does not work in most 10-bit applications like Photoshop etc. because they're OpenGL. 10-bit only works in DirectX on GeForce / Radeon cards. You need to buy a Quadro / Firepro for 10-bit in all applications.

10-bit is essentially useless outside of HDR, and the LG is not a real HDR monitor.

They have two USB ports and you can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for video.

I see, thanks! So, considering my dell xps has only 8 bit and no HDR, I can expect similar experience, color wise?

That's great to know

2 hours ago, Yakir Oz said:

I see, thanks! So, considering my dell xps has only 8 bit and no HDR, I can expect similar experience, color wise?

That's great to know

4K at 27" is also too small to use without 150% scaling, and scaling is still garbage in most applications especially for non-integer values like 1.5x. I'd go with the PG279Q which is 1440p 165 Hz instead. This monitor is several years old now, but there is no replacement model in sight.

If you don't have an Nvidia GPU then buy a FreeSync 2 monitor instead.

23 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

4K at 27" is also too small to use without 150% scaling, and scaling is still garbage in most applications especially for non-integer values like 1.5x. I'd go with the PG279Q which is 1440p 165 Hz instead. This monitor is several years old now, but there is no replacement model in sight.

If you don't have an Nvidia GPU then buy a FreeSync 2 monitor instead.

I don't want it for heavy gaming.. maybe just overwatch at 60hz from time to time. It is mainly for media and school

Everything is better at 144 Hz. It's more useful on the desktop than in games.