want a guide on how to troubleshoot/diagnose FPS drop/stuttering or any related problems

so, I'm playing battlefield 1 on 2560x1440 res, with GTX1080, i7 5820k OC@ 3.8GHz 16GB DDR4. I'm getting 90+FPS but getting lots of stuttering. Because of that, now I want to know what is the right way to diagnose any game for any FPS/Stuttering Issues. I want to know if there is certain steps or tools that can help me to know where the problem is, and if possible, how to solve it. some games can show detailed fps states with ping and some doesn't show anything (yes Battlefield 1, I'm looking at you) I want to learn this skill so that I can also help my friends with their game problems.

EDIT: I'm looking for a generic way to diagnose any game. I'm not looking for fixes as much for how to tell where the problem is

by 2k do you mean 1920x1080 or 2560x1440? Always just say the resolution rather then "2k" because it has many meanings. 

Check settings such shadows, Anti ailising and other Graphical settings, turn them down and see which causes the issues. I generally turn off shadows, and turn down other settings because they sometimes barley affect the look of the game but have major performance hits.

Make sure you dont have a FPS cap on in BF1, that shouldnt cause stuttering by itself, but it may limit what you card is being forced to do.

MSI Afterburner is a program that can show you the stats you want, look up a few videos on how to configure it the way you want, and you can check the stats in no tiem

also that cpu isnt really overclocked all that much, what cooler do you have on it? You can easily get it to 4.2 or 4.3 with like 1.25v or 1.3v ( my 5930k overclocks to 4.6 at 1.35 but i keep it at 4.4 at 1.3 since one of my programs doesnt like the overclock for whatever reason)

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

by 2k do you mean 1920x1080 or 2560x1440? Always just say the resolution rather then "2k" because it has many meanings. 

Check settings such shadows, Anti ailising and other Graphical settings, turn them down and see which causes the issues. I generally turn off shadows, and turn down other settings because they sometimes barley affect the look of the game but have major performance hits.

Make sure you dont have a FPS cap on in BF1, that shouldnt cause stuttering by itself, but it may limit what you card is being forced to do.

MSI Afterburner is a program that can show you the stats you want, look up a few videos on how to configure it the way you want, and you can check the stats in no tiem

also that cpu isnt really overclocked all that much, what cooler do you have on it? You can easily get it to 4.2 or 4.3 with like 1.25v or 1.3v ( my 5930k overclocks to 4.6 at 1.35 but i keep it at 4.4 at 1.3 since one of my programs doesnt like the overclock for whatever reason)

thank you for your quick reply, though your information is very helpful, I will try your way. I'm looking for a more generic diagnosis. like tips and tricks, always check this first or that. 

Checking settings is the generic diagnosis, i cant tell you how many times just turning off shadows or adjusting graphical settings in a game causes the issues of stuttering to stop.

Always look up to see if other people are stuttering with google or tech forums on the game, and see if there is a solution to that, although there is a ton of hardware and theirs will be more then likely different then yours.

Sometimes its just a bug with an update with a game, so you have to wait for an update. Sometimes its a hardware limitation, others its just adjusting settings