Need help picking a new phone for my girlfriend

Hey guys, 

I’ve been trying to recommend phones to my girlfriend but she shoots down every phone I suggest. She’s currently using a note 4 and the parameters she has set so far are:

has to be a mainstream brand for warranty/repairs 

€400 max

no glass build (too slippy)

no cases

no skins (sorry dbrand) 

Doesn’t like the s7 or a5 2017

The only thing coming to mind right now is the iPhone 7, if anyone has some other recommendations I would really appreciate it. I’m at the end of my tether and about to lovingly strangle her (metaphorically not physically) ? 

thanks guys 

An older oneplus or an older google pixel?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, NoRomanBatmansAllowed said:

An older oneplus or an older google pixel?

She’s wary of oneplus because of warranty/repair and pixel phones are quite rare in Ireland but I’ll have a look and see what I can find 

2 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

She’s wary of oneplus because of warranty/repair and pixel phones are quite rare in Ireland but I’ll have a look and see what I can find 

i have to agree with you, the iPhone 7 or 6s does seem like the best choice.

especially the 6S because it's so easily repaired.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Xiaomi Mi A1/A2 or whatever the new one is called?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Xiaomi Mi A1/A2 or whatever the new one is called?

Not a mainstream brand so she won’t even consider it, I’ve been trying to get her to invest in an s8 but she won’t 

1 minute ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Not a mainstream brand so she won’t even consider it, I’ve been trying to get her to invest in an s8 but she won’t 

You need a new gf /s

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

26 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

you live in Ireland. Warranty and repair shouldn't be a deciding factor. Every seller in Ireland needs to adhere to the same rules as anywhere else in europe. Warranty in Ireland is covered by EU law.

I don't think glas is slippy^^ Or more slippy/slippery than Aluminium

My full Metal HTC One M8 was WAY more slippery on the back, than my all glas Samsung S7 Edge.

So i would suggest to hold it in your hands first. You can not determine slipperyness (is that even a word? lol) based just from the material.

Consider Huawei. They became Mainsteram in the last years, especially in Europe, growing to the 3rd biggest market share after samsung and Apple, already many Years ago

The new Honor (Honor is a daughter company from Huawei, basicly the same hardware/software, different Name) 10 is a very good/solid, 399 MSRP~

Or what about the Motorola Moto G6 (Plus)? A bit cheaper, but a very very good/solid allround device, doing many things really good for that price.

Nokia 7 Plus is solid too, with AndroidOne. But idk how they handle warranty stuff.

The OnePlus 6, Silk White, 8GB/128GB phone is a premium flagship phone with a great camera, great looks and blazingly fast. O2 now carries them in the UK. They are not a cheap-ass phone. Their market niche is for Power Users at an affordable price. The OnePlus 6 rollout last week in the UK and worldwide is as mainstream as smartphones get.

It's Gorilla Glass 5 front and back. If you are looking for any recent phone that isn't glass backed, you aren't going to find any premium phone without it as glass is required for wireless charging (the 6 doesn't have wireless charging, it uses proprietary Dash Charge, but all of its competitors do and glass is better for signal reception in any event). If that's unpalatable for her to hold, adding a nylon bumper to the back will deal with any perceived slippage issues.

But gorilla glass backed is industry standard over the past 2 years. So, she'll have to square with that if she wants a mainstream premium phone.