Fiio E10 Troubles.

whatthe_fuzz
Go to solution Solved by whatthe_fuzz,

Well good news. After an hour of troubleshooting I thought "hm...maybe BOTH USB connections I've tried are faulty"

Sure enough, both my monitor AND A/C adapter were screwy. Grabbed an old spare one and BOOM. Crystal clear. 

Thank you everyone who helped! 

So I just got my Fiio E10 and well...im not sure what to think. 

I but on some SUPER heavy bass and literally my head was shaking with my XB-500's. They really can put out. 

However with my Bose AE2i anytime the music fades out or is quieter all i hear is static and noise. (it happens with all my headphones) 

I have the volume turned all the way up on Foobar and Windows. I've determined that the only way to affect the static feedback in any way is to turn the physical dial on the DAC itself. 

any ideas?

its sitting under my monitor away from my computer

Plugged into the back of my computer

Also tried plugging it into my Asus Spitfire to see if it was just the motherboard. It made the sound SIGNIFICANTLY quieter and it slightly quieted the static. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I had some static-like noise from mine when I got it, just unplugged the mini USB from the back of it for 10 seconds, plugged it back in and it was fine.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

you're talking bout noise floor?

i believe so. i literally will have nothing playing and all i hear is static

I had some static-like noise from mine when I got it, just unplugged the mini USB from the back of it for 10 seconds, plugged it back in and it was fine.

tried it....didnt work  :(

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I but on some SUPER heavy bass and literally my head was shaking with my XB-500's. They really can put out. 

However with my Bose AE2i anytime the music fades out or is quieter all i hear is static and noise. (it happens with all my headphones) 

I have the volume turned all the way up on Foobar and Windows. I've determined that the only way to affect the static feedback in any way is to turn the physical dial on the DAC itself. 

any ideas?

Also tried plugging it into my Asus Spitfire to see if it was just the motherboard. It made the sound SIGNIFICANTLY quieter and it slightly quieted the static. 

Does your USB and PSU cable have ferrite bead?

You probably just need to flip the gain switch on the bottom to "low" gain

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Does your USB and PSU cable have ferrite bead?

i might have an extra one laying around. should i put that on my 3.5mm jack?

You probably just need to flip the gain switch on the bottom to "low" gain

already tried that. The 'High' setting just makes it more prominent 

You can try. I solved this problem on my E7 two yrs back. It can be your Ethernet cable as well. So it depend how far you want go to solve this problem. But mine did just fine with the filtered USB cable. 

You can try. I solved this problem on my E7 two yrs back. It can be your Ethernet cable as well. So it depend how far you want go to solve this problem. But mine did just fine with the filtered USB cable. 

using a flitered USB cable didnt do anything. i think the USB is solely power. 

you got a powered usb hub lying around?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

you got a powered usb hub lying around?

My monitors have USB on them if that counts

My monitors have USB on them if that counts

it does

already tried that. The 'High' setting just makes it more prominent 

What do you mean with prominent?Im getting a DT 990 250Ohm and some people say it only works with high gain setting.

So what does the high gain setting do?

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

What do you mean with prominent?Im getting a DT 990 250Ohm and some people say it only works with high gain setting.

the noise floor becomes audible once the volume increases enough.  An amplifier's gain makes the signal get louder faster by a certain factor.  The higher, the louder it gets.  Since the E10 has a gain switch, increasing the gain also amplifies the noise since in this case it's coming from the power supply (of the E10).

it does

well then yes ive tried a powered USB hub :P doesnt help at all

Think of it as a 'EQ Boost'. That's not necessarily what it technically does but audibly thats how i would discribe 'Gain' 

What i meant by prominent was the presences of static. With 'Gain' set to "High' the static was more prominent. You should be fine though :0 i think i just have some weird issue :P

well then yes ive tried a powered USB hub :P doesnt help at all

ok, then it's either defective or you have a ground loop throughout your whole computer setup or something.  Tried a laptop on batteries?

ok, then it's either defective or you have a ground loop throughout your whole computer setup or something.  Tried a laptop on batteries?

Can't get a ground loop through a FiiO.

Trollolololol

Lolwut?

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

any ideas?

have you tried turning the volume down to halfway or less in windows/foobar and letting the e10 do the work? (adjust with the dial on the front)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

have you tried turning the volume down to halfway or less in windows/foobar and letting the e10 do the work? (adjust with the dial on the front)

yep. The dial is the only thing that has some control over the static. Windows or Foobar has no control over the feedback

Lolwut?

A ground loop cannot happen without, you know, a ground loop. There's only one ground connection over USB.

OP, just RMA the thing.

Well good news. After an hour of troubleshooting I thought "hm...maybe BOTH USB connections I've tried are faulty"

Sure enough, both my monitor AND A/C adapter were screwy. Grabbed an old spare one and BOOM. Crystal clear. 

And this makes me wonder how many audio solutions get written of as bad or terrible because of slightly dodgy power supplies.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And this makes me wonder how many audio solutions get written of as bad or terrible because of slightly dodgy power supplies.

i was relieved when it worked but im kinda worried about everything else i had plugged into the faulty A/C adapter...