Fiio E10 Troubles.

whatthe_fuzz
Go to solution Solved by whatthe_fuzz,

Well good news. After an hour of troubleshooting I thought "hm...maybe BOTH USB connections I've tried are faulty"

Sure enough, both my monitor AND A/C adapter were screwy. Grabbed an old spare one and BOOM. Crystal clear. 

Thank you everyone who helped! 

Think of it as a 'EQ Boost'. That's not necessarily what it technically does but audibly thats how i would discribe 'Gain' 

What i meant by prominent was the presences of static. With 'Gain' set to "High' the static was more prominent. You should be fine though :0 i think i just have some weird issue :P

So it will sound the same (be the same quality of sound) as on the low gain switch ,it will just make it louder?

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

So it will sound the same (be the same quality of sound) as on the low gain switch ,it will just make it louder?

i personally fine the high gain of a better sound quality

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

FiiO's known for being "Made in China" so to speak, so I wouldn't be surprised if one gain setting is better than the other for certain people. However, more gain just means more voltage allowed to flow to the headphones - it doesn't directly affect audio quality.