Weird crashing on PC, been happening for a while now

ebsikl

Tl;Dr at bottom

Hi, I've been running into an issue where my computer crashes, and the sound loops loudly through my headphones when it does crash. It doesn't happen consistently or often, but it's always while gaming. On friday night, my pc straight just crashed, it went to a black screen and then rebooted itself. I reinstalled Windows, and since then I've had it crash last night, and then when it started up again, I couldn't type anything. I tried 3 different keyboards and 2 different cables, none worked but my mouse did. 

Specs are 

i7 6700k

asus z170-E

EVGA GTX 1080 ssc

16 gb corsair vengance ddr4 3000mhz

corsair rm650x

Running Windows 10 x64

Tl;Dr - PC crashing occaisonally, ruled out bad OS install, after crash 3 diff keyboards did not work, but mouse did

List your Hard Drives and PSU.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

13 minutes ago, WhyAlwaysMe said:

Have you overclocked anything?

Nope, nothing is overclocked, but I do have XMP on. 

11 minutes ago, userzero said:

List your Hard Drives and PSU.

The PSU is the corsair RM650x. My boot drive is a 250gb samsung 750 evo, and my game storage drive is a 1 tb Seagate Barracuda

1 minute ago, ebsikl said:

Nope, nothing is overclocked, but I do have XMP on. 

The PSU is the corsair RM650x. My boot drive is a 250gb samsung 750 evo, and my game storage drive is a 1 tb Seagate Barracuda

My system would crash occasionally when my RX 580 was overclocked to 1500 MHz. The sound would loop loudly for about 10 seconds before rebooting, which sounds similar to your situation. It could be a problem with an unstable graphics card.

5 minutes ago, WhyAlwaysMe said:

My system would crash occasionally when my RX 580 was overclocked to 1500 MHz. The sound would loop loudly for about 10 seconds before rebooting, which sounds similar to your situation. It could be a problem with an unstable graphics card.

I dont think that it's an unstable card, because I had this issue back when I was running a gtx 960 too. I think so at least

3 minutes ago, ebsikl said:

I dont think that it's an unstable card, because I had this issue back when I was running a gtx 960 too. I think so at least

I dunno then. Good luck on your troubleshooting journey anyway

check if all your components are plugged in correctly. Reseat the RAMs (dust out the slots too) and all your drives.

Checked Windows Event logger? does it tell you anything? 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

6 hours ago, dionkoffie said:

check if all your components are plugged in correctly. Reseat the RAMs (dust out the slots too) and all your drives.

Checked Windows Event logger? does it tell you anything? 

So I was playing fortnite, and my PC restarted with no warning again, but this time it went into a bootloop 4x until it finally started. During the boot loop, nothing was showing up until the final try, where it showed the bios. According to most things I've read, it seems as though it's a bad power supply. Can you or anyone else comment at all?