Mac OS for work

I'm trying to decide if I should get a macbook or a windows laptop for my work. I need my laptop to run software like AutoCAD, Arc GIS, ERDAS imagine. I've never used a Mac. I don't intend on gaming on it. What would you suggest?

You can put windows on a mbp if you want.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you aren't into the whole apple ecosystem, I wouldn't really recommend it. Not the best performance/dollar, generally speaking.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

Get windows but make sure you purchase the right machine. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 hours ago, Siddharthadx said:

Any suggestions?

Do you need good battery life? Do you value durability? What size form factor are you looking for? What’s your budget? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 22/5/2018 at 3:52 AM, Enderman said:

You can put windows on a mbp if you want.

That completely defeats the purpose of buying an mpb in the first place though.

On 22/5/2018 at 3:51 AM, Siddharthadx said:

AutoCAD, Arc GIS, ERDAS imagine.

None of these work any better on macOS than they do on Windows as far as I know, I see no reason for you to splurge more for an mbp.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If your company is paying for it, figure out how the deal works. If you end up owning the machine, you might want to go with a Macbook for the resell value alone. Time to upgrade will inevitably come, and being able to get likely even four digits for your old machine should easily make it worth dealing with adaptors and whatnot.

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

That completely defeats the purpose of buying an mpb in the first place though.

Nope, you get the great aesthetics, solid aluminum chassis and nice build quality, nice keyboard, the best trackpad on any laptop, etc.

Putting windows on it also doesn't decrease the battery life much like some people claim.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Nope, you get the great aesthetics, solid aluminum chassis and nice build quality, nice keyboard, the best trackpad on any laptop, etc.

Putting windows on it also doesn't decrease the battery life much like some people claim.

There's been a pretty serious design flaw in almost every mbp model of the last decade, so build quality is definitely nothing special. The keyboard is ok, but nothing compared to an old school thinkpad. Trackpad maybe, but it's hardly worth the purchase by itself (personally I don't use trackpads anyway if I can possibly avoid it). There are also plenty of (significantly cheaper) windows laptops that have a great battery life.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 22.5.2018 at 3:51 AM, Siddharthadx said:

I'm trying to decide if I should get a macbook or a windows laptop for my work. I need my laptop to run software like AutoCAD, Arc GIS, ERDAS imagine. I've never used a Mac. I don't intend on gaming on it. What would you suggest?

If you're working on it you should work effectively. So Windows.

If you are playing around wasting time. Then Mac.

I guess pick whatever you want. But going in a work envoriment you'll want something you are known with, or you'll probably want to be a quite quick learner.

9 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

If you're working on it you should work effectively. So Windows.

If you are playing around wasting time. Then Mac.

Could you elaborate? (Or confirm if you have ever touched a Mac?)

1 hour ago, tatte said:

Could you elaborate? (Or confirm if you have ever touched a Mac?)

I don't see how that has anything to do with TS question.

42 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

I don't see how that has anything to do with TS question.

I'm sure anything you say feels very obvious to yourself, but when you bother to give someone else advice, you should have some reasoning behind what you say. I fail to imagine the aspect of Macs that'd waste time and be less effective compared to Windows, but you seem to have some insight since you made such a claim. Surely you wouldn't go around screaming things solely based on your personal brand specific assumptions?

I also have no idea what you abbreviated to TS.

2 hours ago, tatte said:

I'm sure anything you say feels very obvious to yourself, but when you bother to give someone else advice, you should have some reasoning behind what you say. I fail to imagine the aspect of Macs that'd waste time and be less effective compared to Windows, but you seem to have some insight since you made such a claim. Surely you wouldn't go around screaming things solely based on your personal brand specific assumptions?

I also have no idea what you abbreviated to TS.

So you're just around to make discussions?

What i said is based on the TS. He say he already know Windows, which makes Windows the system he know and can work efficiently on. Sure you can work efficiently on Mac aswell, but you'll have to be fairly known with the system and where everything is.

I'm not saying that one of them is better than the other. I'm saying that the OS you are most known with will be the most efficient.

2 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

So you're just around to make discussions?

What i said is based on the TS. He say he already know Windows, which makes Windows the system he know and can work efficiently on. Sure you can work efficiently on Mac aswell, but you'll have to be fairly known with the system and where everything is.

I'm not saying that one of them is better than the other. I'm saying that the OS you are most known with will be the most efficient.

Thanks for the elaboration. Given he also stated he'll be just working with it, I didn't get your redundant perspective. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this forum is the right place to find unbiased advice on Windows vs Mac. The experience on Apple devices is something Windows devices cannot compete with. With a mac you'll spend less time messing around trying to fix issues and updating drivers etc. The applications on OSX would generally have a greater integration with the OS thus giving a more consistent experience such as smooth trackpad scrolling. However, you'll be paying more for that experience. So it's up to you whether it's worth it or not.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

• 1 month later...

Honestly, get something like a Dell XPS 15 that isn't too expensive (still a premium) but comes with a lot a features that you'll and enjoy. Have windows and MacOS installed at the same time (hackintosh) and maybe even triple boot with Linux as well. You'll have better performance than the top of the line MBP 2018, one of the biggest batteries, best screen, and similar build quality for half the price.

Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ ThinkPad T430

get windows. more powerful hardware for the $$$

Sudo make me a sandwich