External HDD causing problem.

Eshaan

My Segate External 1TB drive is just showing an icon and I'm not able to access it, it freezes up my pc when I try to right click on it.

This has only just started happening? Drive could be dying.

Download Seatools and see if it can detect the drive and detect any errors. You may need to run some of the tests within Seatools on the drive for it to detect any errors.
https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Download Seatools and see if it can detect the drive and detect any errors. You may need to run some of the tests within Seatools on the drive for it to detect any errors.

Yeah it just started and ok I'll try that seatools and get back to you

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's showing model number unknown and everything else unknown

Just now, Eshaan said:

It's showing model number unknown and everything else unknown

Sounds like the drive is dying/dead.
See if you can perform any of the tests. Select the drive by checking the box next to it, then click "Basic Tests" and select the SMART test.

Is it still within warranty?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Sounds like the drive is dying/dead.
See if you can perform any of the tests. Select the drive by checking the box next to it, then click "Basic Tests" and select the SMART test.

Is it still within warranty?

No it's out of warranty, there is only short and long tests and drive information

Just now, Eshaan said:

No it's out of warranty, there is only short and long tests and drive information

The other tests may not be supported because it's an external drive and not an internal drive, or might just not be available cause it's having trouble detecting the drive. Try opening the drive information which just shows you the information on the drive, though if the Seatools software is reporting Unknown then it probably won't show much.

Probably won't be much use trying to run the other tests simply because if the drive is dying it will just lock up when it tries to scan. However if you still wanted to give it a go, then try the short test first.

What is the model number for the external drive? Should be printed on a label on the back/bottom or on the box it came in.

Just now, Eshaan said:

How can I contact him/her?

iamdarkyoshi tagged them which means Seagate_Surfer will get a notification to check this thread, so hopefully they'll read the thread and see your issue.
In future you can tag people by using the @ symbol then typing their name. eg. @Spotty

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

The other tests may not be supported because it's an external drive and not an internal drive, or might just not be available cause it's having trouble detecting the drive. Try opening the drive information which just shows you the information on the drive, though if the Seatools software is reporting Unknown then it probably won't show much.

Probably won't be much use trying to run the other tests simply because if the drive is dying it will just lock up when it tries to scan. However if you still wanted to give it a go, then try the short test first.

What is the model number for the external drive? Should be printed on a label on the back/bottom or on the box it came in.

iamdarkyoshi tagged them which means Seagate_Surfer will get a notification to check this thread, so hopefully they'll read the thread and see your issue.
In future you can tag people by using the @ symbol then typing their name. eg. @Spotty

alright thanks, the model number is NA83V18Q

6 minutes ago, Eshaan said:

alright thanks, the model number is NA83V18Q

Are you sure that's the model number? I think that might be the unique serial number for the device.
Seagate storage product model numbers typically start with the characters ST

32 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Are you sure that's the model number? I think that might be the unique serial number for the device.
Seagate storage product model numbers typically start with the characters ST

oh sorry that is S/N no, the model no. is SRD0NF1

31 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I've tagged them, hopefully they'll respond soon.

cool thanks

Hey, thanks for the tag. Our first thought would have been to run SeaTools, it seems you've already tried that and it's not displaying the drive information correctly. Sometimes if the Windows tool is having trouble, people can have more success with the bootable version at the same link, so that might be worth a shot, as sometimes getting a scan beneath the layer of the Operating System can allow it to see the drive better.. You could also try swapping the USB cable so we can make sure that is not the point that is having trouble, also trying the drive in a different port & in a different computer if possible may help.

You mentioned the drive is out-of-warranty, we wanted to make sure you knew how to check this just to ensure that is actually the case before our next recommendation, so you can check it using our Warranty Validation Tool here.

As a last resort, and because the drive is out-of-warranty, sometimes the internal drive can be taken out of the external enclosure & plugged directly into the system and see different results because the component that ran into trouble was the USB controller & not the actual drive. Not guaranteeing this is the case, but it is one possibility. Keep in mind for anybody else reading this who still has warranty on a drive, that doing this is typically considered a void of warranty.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 5/21/2018 at 6:49 PM, seagate_surfer said:

Hey, thanks for the tag. Our first thought would have been to run SeaTools, it seems you've already tried that and it's not displaying the drive information correctly. Sometimes if the Windows tool is having trouble, people can have more success with the bootable version at the same link, so that might be worth a shot, as sometimes getting a scan beneath the layer of the Operating System can allow it to see the drive better.. You could also try swapping the USB cable so we can make sure that is not the point that is having trouble, also trying the drive in a different port & in a different computer if possible may help.

You mentioned the drive is out-of-warranty, we wanted to make sure you knew how to check this just to ensure that is actually the case before our next recommendation, so you can check it using our Warranty Validation Tool here.

As a last resort, and because the drive is out-of-warranty, sometimes the internal drive can be taken out of the external enclosure & plugged directly into the system and see different results because the component that ran into trouble was the USB controller & not the actual drive. Not guaranteeing this is the case, but it is one possibility. Keep in mind for anybody else reading this who still has warranty on a drive, that doing this is typically considered a void of warranty.

Thanks for replying, I'm sorry for responding so late, how to use the bootable version? And I tried it on my friend's laptop it didn't work there either, tried using a different cable and still the same.

1 hour ago, Eshaan said:

Thanks for replying, I'm sorry for responding so late, how to use the bootable version? And I tried it on my friend's laptop it didn't work there either, tried using a different cable and still the same.

There's a version in the linked downloads that says "SeaTools Bootable". You will need to put that on a USB flash drive.

Edited by seagate_surfer
added SeaTools link

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 23/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, seagate_surfer said:

There's a version in the linked downloads that says "SeaTools Bootable". You will need to put that on a USB flash drive.

Okay I'll give this a shot, I'll get back to you after I try it thanks :)

On 23/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, seagate_surfer said:

It didn't work :(