4ms IPS 144hz Panel vs 1ms TN 165hz panel (Both at 1440p)

Hi! I'm playing most of my time FPS Games and the only MMO game I play is League of Legends, I'm not a content creator but I love to have these neat graphics in games but I'm really competitive when it comes to gaming, I also heard about backlight bleed is a normal con on a IPS panel, I also don't think I wanna go from a 1ms monitor to a 4ms. Currently I'm using 2 Benq RL2455HM 60 hz & 1920x1080. I have a 1080 ti so I really have to get a monitor that doesn't bottleneck the GPU. So please I need help with honest opinions, What's best for a guy who is a competitive gamer but also loves the views of the games? (IPS has Freesync AMD and the TN Version is G-Sync Nvidia)

Monitorsss.jpg

1ms vs 4ms isn't noticeable. I would get the IPS one for better angles and color accuracy.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

1ms to 4ms is pretty meaningless, and different monitor manufacturers measure response time differently anyway. You'll not notice any input lag difference, but potentially the IPS display might blur more when displaying something in motion. Backlight bleed can happen on TN displays too, but IPS displays sometimes have a glow effect to them too when showing black images which accentuates the effect. Unless you get a really crappy example it's the kind of thing you'll notice once and never care about ever again.

Most people will probably tell you that TN is crap and to take the IPS one without even thinking about it. The colours and viewing angles on most TN displays are complete shit.

1ms and 4ms are meaningless numbers. If you want to find the latency for the panel, you'll need to look at independent testers that use the same method of testing over every panel. 

My vote goes to the IPS model. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

1ms and 4ms are meaningless numbers.

^^

You're aware "ms response time" is a feature of pixel clarity, not input delay, right? At any rate, I'd say, even if you get backlight bleeding, IPS is just much more enjoyable to look at than TN. If it were up to 200+ Hz, it would provide both smoothness and competitive edge (that's high-end pro stuff), but 15Hz wouldn't be much of a difference at all. I have a 1440p 144Hz IPS panel, and most panels like it will come with overdrive for reducing input lag to almost nothing, so that's going to give you more of an edge than framerate will.

Also, resolution and graphical settings make bottlenecks for GPUs. CPU limits your framerate if your GPU can pull off the graphics fine (which a 1080 Ti can). Competitive games are generally pretty easy on graphics (so I'm confused why you have a 1080 Ti), but if you have a processor to match, you should be fine.

Using G-Sync or FreeSync will only slow down you game, if you're that worried about your competitive edge. They have a tendency to generate input lag. It's minimal at higher frame rates if I remember right, but it's less useful at higher frame rates anyway.

27 minutes ago, Zkellington LW said:

Hi! I'm playing most of my time FPS Games and the only MMO game I play is League of Legends, I'm not a content creator but I love to have these neat 

o.O

On a serious note, go for the IPS

All votes really goes for IPS, Well that convinces me good to go for that. I just registered my self here so I'm new and feels good that you people give me the answers I really need! I talked to 2 friends earlier and surprisingly they both said I should go with the 1 ms monitor, But if you tell me it's barely a difference between the 1 and 4 ms then the IPS panel sounds like a dream. Thanks!

Given the differences between 1 and 6ms I’d still go to lower and lose color. 

Color doesnt win me a game. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

13 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Given the differences between 1 and 6ms I’d still go to lower and lose color. 

Color doesnt win me a game. 

the ms you see there are pixel response times and you wont be able to tell the difference for one simple reason.

even at 165hz you have one new picture every 6.06ms so even a screen with 6ms pixel response time will give you a perfect picture and react as soon as the new frames come in.

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

the ms you see there are pixel response times and you wont be able to tell the difference for one simple reason.

even at 165hz you have one new picture every 6.06ms so even a screen with 6ms pixel response time will give you a perfect picture and react as soon as the new frames come in.

If it’s taking 6ms to react to every frame, it’s not gonna be as smooth as 1ms. Taking 6 times as long for each frame. 

So one new frame every 6ms and takes 6ms to refresh and realign. 

If you’re not a good FPS gaming and don’t care, get what ever. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

10 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

If it’s taking 6ms to react to every frame, it’s not gonna be as smooth as 1ms. Taking 6 times as long for each frame. 

So one new frame every 6ms and takes 6ms to refresh and realign. 

If you’re not a good FPS gaming and don’t care, get what ever. 

its exactly the same, new frame comes in, 1ms passes new frame is displayed (+input lag obviously) now this frame is displayed for another 5ms as a static image before the next frame comes in.

at 6ms the new frame comes in, it takes 6ms to react to the new image (again + input lag which typically is far higher anyways) now the frame is displayed while the new frame comes in and the pixels need another 6ms to react.

for the user its exactly the same thing, you see the same refresh rate with the only difference being that the very first frame is there 5ms later than the other one, after that the they refresh in the same interval.

17 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

its exactly the same, new frame comes in, 1ms passes new frame is displayed (+input lag obviously) now this frame is displayed for another 5ms as a static image before the next frame comes in.

at 6ms the new frame comes in, it takes 6ms to react to the new image (again + input lag which typically is far higher anyways) now the frame is displayed while the new frame comes in and the pixels need another 6ms to react.

for the user its exactly the same thing, you see the same refresh rate with the only difference being that the very first frame is there 5ms later than the other one, after that the they refresh in the same interval.

Like I said, if you think you cant see it, then it doesn't matter.

Im not getting a slow monitor anymore, as I tend to care. Nothing is the same for all users.

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Like I said, if you think you cant see it, then it doesn't matter.

Im not getting a slow monitor anymore, as I tend to care. Nothing is the same for all users.

ok guys pack it up, we dont need expensive testing equipment anymore, we found the guy that can see the difference between 1ms pixel response times and 6ms at the same refresh rate.

23 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

ok guys pack it up, we dont need expensive testing equipment anymore, we found the guy that can see the difference between 1ms pixel response times and 6ms at the same refresh rate.

That's pretty impressive given that the average reaction time for most people is around ~200ms. Even trained people approach ~100ms.