The Honest Truth about the Mechanical Keyboards market

First, they're not going to improve your gaming performance at all (that's just a marketing gimmick), but they're worth it because it's a great typing experience.

Second, most of the brands on the market are from the same few Chinese companies that add a logo to rebrand it to an English name.  Most of the budget-end ($30-60) mechanical keyboards on the market are of similar quality.  They all seem to be of good quality overall, the RGB lights are typically good, decent build quality and stupid fonts.  Even the cheapest one is still a much better experience than membrane.  Any keyboard in that price range has a low risk of having problems but the vast majority of them work fine.  (I wouldn't necessarily assume that a $50 keyboard to be less likely to have issues than a $35 keyboard).

Third, the most important quality that will make a difference in the user's experience is the color of the switches.  Blue's will be clicky and mostly soft.  Red's will be quiet and very soft.  Blacks will be quiet and firm.  Browns are in-between in noise and firmness.  There are benefits to Cherry MX's rather than generic brands, but mostly, it's the type of switch rather than what company makes it.  A high-end keyboard from a well-reputed company won't necessarily offer a better typing experience than a generic Chinese keyboard if the switches it uses aren't the type of switches you want.  I'm not saying you shouldn't go for a high-end keyboard, but look into the different types of switches before automatically assuming that a Corsair will be better for you than a generic brand.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

I have razer generic cherry mx blues, and I deafen my opponents with my clickity clickty clack

Just my view but ever since I got a mechanical keyboard, I have had a much better experience as the full key rollover helps when pressing keys in quickly. Example being in games like league, when I wanted to do two abilities quickly, my membrane sometimes wouldn't register the key press and I wouldn't be able to do it.

17 hours ago, minervx said:

First, they're not going to improve your gaming performance at all (that's just a marketing gimmick), but they're worth it because it's a great typing experience.

Second, most of the brands on the market are from the same few Chinese companies that add a logo to rebrand it to an English name.  Most of the budget-end ($30-60) mechanical keyboards on the market are of similar quality.  They all seem to be of good quality overall, the RGB lights are typically good, decent build quality and stupid fonts.  Even the cheapest one is still a much better experience than membrane.  Any keyboard in that price range has a low risk of having problems but the vast majority of them work fine.  (I wouldn't necessarily assume that a $50 keyboard to be less likely to have issues than a $35 keyboard).

Third, the most important quality that will make a difference in the user's experience is the color of the switches.  Blue's will be clicky and mostly soft.  Red's will be quiet and very soft.  Blacks will be quiet and firm.  Browns are in-between in noise and firmness.  There are benefits to Cherry MX's rather than generic brands, but mostly, it's the type of switch rather than what company makes it.  A high-end keyboard from a well-reputed company won't necessarily offer a better typing experience than a generic Chinese keyboard if the switches it uses aren't the type of switches you want.  I'm not saying you shouldn't go for a high-end keyboard, but look into the different types of switches before automatically assuming that a Corsair will be better for you than a generic brand.

welcome to the real world bro. I guess you just found out about ODMs. This is where some manufacturers make a product and other firms just slaps their sticker on there. This practice is prevalent in all industries. So your analysis is somewhat correct. However, each company that slaps their stickers offer different degrees of warranties. This is where the premium comes it. If you buy from Razer or Corsair, you know that you are gonna get a longer warranty. Also, while the internal components are the same, Razer and Corsair products are simply more aesthetically pleasing. Also, even if the products are from the same factories, their batch of products have gone through a more rigourous quality control as opoosed to lets say PandaExpress RGB Chow Mein Orange Chicken Switch edition. (its okay, I am an Asian. Its okay to pull racist jokes on your own people lol) Its kinda like Nestle vs Haagen Daaz. They are both made from the same factory using the same base ingredients. But they are definitely not the same. 

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

19 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I and a lot of people would strongly disagree.  Cherry is far from the best switch maker out there.  

I was very confused by this.  Then I realized you hadn't done a full quote. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, geo3 said:

I and a lot of people would strongly disagree.  Cherry is far from the best switch maker out there.  

I never said that they were the best.  I think all of the reputable switch makers out there have merits, but I don't think the most expensive ones are absolutely necessary for everyone.  That's my point.  Someone may end up spending $150 for a cherry MX red keyboard, when they may like an Outemu Blue better (because they may just prefer blue switches).

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage