Which monitor should I go with? I've been in 1080p too long.

Dufus

CPU: i5-6400

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4-2133

PSU: 600W 80+

Current Monitor: 23.9" Dell 1080p/60Hz

I'm wondering if I should go 1440p/144Hz or 4k/60Hz. I play a LOT of different types of games. So many different types that I rarely play the same game for more than 10 hours a month. I watch more movies and TV shows than I play games. I watch a LOT of YouTube and I've always wondered what YouTube would be like in 4k. I also play a LOT of old games. And I've been wanting to play them in 4k for the longest time. I definitely play a lot of new games as well. From indie to AAA, and all in between. I'm not highly competitive when it comes to shooters but I do like to enjoy me some shooter games.

I randomly found this forum and noticed that people get a reply rather quickly so I thought I'd throw this topic out here and see what you guys think. I know a lot about computers and games but I know very little about experiencing 1440p/4k gaming. As the title says, I've been in 1080p/60Hz for about a year and a half on PC. Also, one more question, does free-sync benefit an Nvidia GPU just as much as it does an AMD GPU?

P.S. Price is not that much of an issue here although I'd really like to pay around $200-$350 for this upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, Dufus said:

CPU: i5-6400

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4-2133

PSU: 600W 80+

Current Monitor: 23.9" Dell 1080p/60Hz

I'm wondering if I should go 1440p/144Hz or 4k/60Hz. I play a LOT of different types of games. So many different types that I rarely play the same game for more than 10 hours a month. I watch more movies and TV shows than I play games. I also play a LOT of old games. And I've been wanting to play them in 4k for the longest time. I'm not highly competitive when it comes to shooters but I do like to enjoy me some shooter games.

I randomly found this forum and noticed that people get a reply rather quickly so I thought I'd throw this topic out here and see what you guys think. I know a lot about computers and games but I know very little about experiencing 1440p/4k gaming. As the title says, I've been in 1080p/60Hz for about a year and a half on PC. Also, one more question, does free-sync benefit an Nvidia GPU just as much as it does an AMD GPU?

P.S. Price is not that much of an issue here although I'd really like to pay around $200-$350 for this upgrade. 

Welcome to the LTT forums! Sorry, but I would stay with QHD or with FHD you just don't have the VRAM for 4k, and it is debatable if you even have enough for QHD as well.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Thanks for the quick repy Wh0. I think I already know what you mean. Quick question though... Would getting a 4k/60Hz monitor benefit me on watching 4k videos in YouTube and watching 4k movies? Like, will my CPU and GPU be able to handle that and older games/less demanding indie games in 4k? 

1 minute ago, Dufus said:

Thanks for the quick repy Wh0. I think I already know what you mean. Quick question though... Would getting a 4k/60Hz monitor benefit me on watching 4k videos in YouTube and watching 4k movies? Like, will my CPU and GPU be able to handle that and older games in 4k? 

Even integrated graphics can handle videos at 4K. 

Games, that's another story. Maybe if you keep textures at super low you might get away with it. Or just set the game to run at 1080p / renderscale 50%. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Thank you Eibe for the quick reply as well. So 4k movies are no problem, check. What about older games in 4k or less demanding indie games in 4k? Would my CPU/GPU handle them in 4k? And when I say old, I mean in the early to mid 2000's. Games like James Bond 007 Nightfire or Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4. Or indie games such as Owlboy or Hotline Miami 2.

8 minutes ago, Dufus said:

Thank you Eibe for the quick reply as well. So 4k movies are no problem, check. What about older games in 4k or less demanding indie games in 4k? Would my CPU/GPU handle them in 4k? And when I say old, I mean in the early to mid 2000's. Games like James Bond 007 Nightfire or Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4. Or indie games such as Owlboy or Hotline Miami 2.

I honestly do not know, but if I have to take I guess I would say yes (are they even going to support 4k?). I doubt the image would look crispier in those games due to their graphical limitations though. 

Remember to quote the person you are replying to or we will not receive a notification and might forget to check your thread. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

22 minutes ago, Dufus said:

Thanks for the quick repy Wh0. I think I already know what you mean. Quick question though... Would getting a 4k/60Hz monitor benefit me on watching 4k videos in YouTube and watching 4k movies? Like, will my CPU and GPU be able to handle that and older games/less demanding indie games in 4k? 

I think I quoted this right? They definitely support 4k because I see the same game being played in 4k on YouTube. The image definitely looks crispier as well. I don't know about the less demanding indie games supporting 4k though simply because it seems people either don't buy a 4k monitor for less demanding indie games or they may not support 4k resolution. I would think though that if older pc games support 4k through config ini's, maybe it's possible that less demanding indie games do the same. I suppose that's the reason for this topic.

30 minutes ago, Dufus said:

Well while I'm waiting for replies, I have a few more questions for anyone to tackle.

1. If I go with a 4k/60Hz monitor and my CPU/GPU can't handle games in 4k, couldn't I just bump down the resolution to 1440p or even 1080p to play games that are too demanding until I upgrade my CPU/GPU? Sure they'll still be in 60Hz but I'd own a 4k monitor to watch 4k movies on(especially 4k YouTube videos).

2. If you were in my shoes and owned exactly what I currently own, what would you upgrade with $500 to spend? With the idea to basically upgrade your current 1080p/60Hz gaming/movie watching experience dramatically(hopefully).