Best Free Video Editing Application

Alright, I have my new laptop, and I'm loving it. Now, time to learn some video editing. I would appreciate some recommendations. I don't have any experience with this, so if I could get some advice on the process, that would be apprechiated too. Max resolution I'm considering using is 1080p, though I'm considering 720p if I start eating up too much storage(I have an extra external HDD I can use externally, plus two empty SATA m.2 slots)

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

Def. DaVinci.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Just now, BluJay614 said:

Okay, do either of you have any advice when it comes to using DaVinci?

I've never had the technology to use it myself. If I could I would. Just have a GPU with around 4GB GDDR RAM.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

2 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I've never had the technology to use it myself. If I could I would. Just have a GPU with around 4GB GDDR RAM.

I've got 3GB of GDDR5

2 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

I've got 3GB of GDDR5

Go right ahead!

10 hours ago, BluJay614 said:

Okay, do either of you have any advice when it comes to using DaVinci?

What kind? I mean I don't know much but can link to some good tutorials if you have experience on some video editor in past.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@BluJay614 I love this guys tutorials. Here's a playlist for Resolve 

Playlist

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What kind? I mean I don't know much but can link to some good tutorials if you have experience on some video editor in past.

I don't really have any prior experience, to be honest. Tutorials would be appreciated though.

7 hours ago, BluJay614 said:

I don't really have any prior experience, to be honest. Tutorials would be appreciated though.

Then this guy has ton of Resolve videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CaseyFaris777/playlists

Another one with several videos on Resolve, and other software https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4HXushRwS_9b1JdRFYVgw/playlists

I don't do very complicated edits. Just cutting, adding image to beginning and fades. Plus I've been taught to use Corel's video editor and Premier in high school (and I've used similar+Blender VSE since) so that help. If you have 0 experience, Hitfilm Express is another option. Its more for newbies with more Windows Movie Maker style approach. Its main flaw is that company is actually trying to sell pro versions with free version. Blackmagic isn't (they sell professional streaming & editing software and equipment). So Hitfilm will have very intrusive and aggressive ads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:58 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Then this guy has ton of Resolve videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CaseyFaris777/playlists

Another one with several videos on Resolve, and other software https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4HXushRwS_9b1JdRFYVgw/playlists

I don't do very complicated edits. Just cutting, adding image to beginning and fades. Plus I've been taught to use Corel's video editor and Premier in high school (and I've used similar+Blender VSE since) so that help. If you have 0 experience, Hitfilm Express is another option. Its more for newbies with more Windows Movie Maker style approach. Its main flaw is that company is actually trying to sell pro versions with free version. Blackmagic isn't (they sell professional streaming & editing software and equipment). So Hitfilm will have very intrusive and aggressive ads.

Thanks! To be honest, I've played around with it a little over the weekend, trying to get a feel for it. I think the only experience I technically have is from one project in high school on a MacBook. Otherwise, yeah, 0 experience. I usually find ads in general to be an annoyance, so Hitfilm might be a bit too irritating.