Video Game Server [port forwarding service type]

Kyzer

I got a new router from my ISP and there's this new option for port forwarding. It asks me for a Service, but defaults to Other. Which isn't working.

Trying to make a Minecraft server. There's this drop down list where Other is in the port forwarding section - lists basically every type of network protocol, from DNS to FTP to IMAP.

Which one do games use? I don't feel like going through and trying them all, since there's a good 30.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Those options just fill in the defaults. Choose other and just put the correct ports in the rules. Also make sure you are port forwarding to YOUR pc.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Those options just fill in the defaults. Choose other and just put the correct ports in the rules. Also make sure you are port forwarding to YOUR pc.

That helped nothing whatsoever. I've already stated that Other does not work.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

2 minutes ago, Kyzer said:

That helped nothing whatsoever. I've already stated that Other does not work.

And as I said, those are just prefills. Gaming doesnt have "traffic service", its mostly just UDP spam which is a transport protocol. 

Screen shot how its setup....make sure you cut out your IP if its in the screen shot. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

And as I said, those are just prefills. Gaming doesnt have "traffic service", its mostly just UDP spam which is a transport protocol. 

Screen shot how its setup....make sure you cut out your IP if its in the screen shot. 

nqP49pe.png

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Kyzer said:

are you running a firewall on your server? or on the router itself?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

nqP49pe.png

1. Are you sure you PC thats hosting the server is 192.168.1.2?

2. When they go to connect are they typing in ***.***.***.***:25565, where *** is your public IP?

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

1. Are you sure you PC thats hosting the server is 192.168.1.2?

2. When they go to connect are they typing in ***.***.***.***:25565, where *** is your public IP?

I'm trying to connect to myself and I'm using the correct IP. and yes.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Kyzer said:

I'm trying to connect to myself and I'm using the correct IP. and yes.

If you are trying to connect to your self you need to use 127.0.0.1

What you are setting up is for others to connect. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

If you are trying to connect to your self you need to use 127.0.0.1

What you are setting up is for others to connect. 

yeah i know that and i cant connect using my public IP which is the problem because then i know it works.

Spoiler

yeah i know that and i cant connect using my public IP which is the problem because then i know it works.

.....I said you have to use 127.0.0.1...Its impossible to connect to your own public IP from inside the network. Its why 127.0.0.1 was reserved for local use.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

.....I said you have to use 127.0.0.1...Its impossible to connect to your own public IP from inside the network. Its why 127.0.0.1 was reserved for local use.

I've been able to connect to my public IP in the past.

Spoiler

Just now, Kyzer said:

I've been able to connect to my public IP in the past.

Literally impossible if you have tried from the PC behind the router

just try to add a  rule on your computer/server´s firewall for minecraft or just turn the firewall off

On 5/16/2018 at 2:50 PM, Kyzer said:

What is the router brand/model? I had an issue similar to this on my old router, where the port forwards wouldn't work.

Try this before responding:

See if the router's firewall is on. If so, try to either put your computer's local IP in a DMZ (if supported by the router), or fiddle with the firewall options on the router. This can also be an issue with your computer's firewall, too.

Check out this game I wrote in JS:

Bounce Ball

C:\Users\BitShack>If you're happy and you know it Syntax Error!
happy was unexpected at this time.

On 16.5.2018 at 9:55 PM, mynameisjuan said:

Literally impossible if you have tried from the PC behind the router

Actually it is possible because of the NAT feature.

The loopback address does not put him throught the router when connecting it just redirects back to himself. If he connect using the public IP he will be redirected from the router to the loopback address. Which will give him access to the server he set-up.

It's practicly impossible to not have this work because you can always connect to yourself with the loopback address, or the ipv4 address assigned to your computer.

1 hour ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Actually it is possible because of the NAT feature.

The loopback address does not put him throught the router when connecting it just redirects back to himself. If he connect using the public IP he will be redirected from the router to the loopback address. Which will give him access to the server he set-up.

It's practicly impossible to not have this work because you can always connect to yourself with the loopback address, or the ipv4 address assigned to your computer.

No it wont work....Its called hairpinning and unless you have an enterprise router that has a shit ton of configuration for hairpinning it will not work. 

You obviously dont understand how loopback works. If he sent a request to his public it would go back to his router and his router would respond with its local IP and the PC would get the response from the IP and be like WTF and drop the packet. Most routers will see a packet looking for its own IP and drop it because hairpinning. 

A loopback address is on its own interface and has its own IP. This process has fuck all to do with loopback.

So no, its wont fucking work

4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

No it wont work....Its called hairpinning and unless you have an enterprise router that has a shit ton of configuration for hairpinning it will not work. 

You obviously dont understand how loopback works. If he sent a request to his public it would go back to his router and his router would respond with its local IP and the PC would get the response from the IP and be like WTF and drop the packet. Most routers will see a packet looking for its own IP and drop it because hairpinning. 

A loopback address is on its own interface and has its own IP. This process has fuck all to do with loopback.

So no, its wont fucking work

So if it's not possible, how come you can reach out to Google from your local IP -> router -> public IP. It's called reverse lookup and all, i repeat. All computers, servers can do this without problems. If you simply can't connect to yourself through your public IP you've done a really shity nettworking job.

9 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

So if it's not possible, how come you can reach out to Google from your local IP -> router -> public IP. It's called reverse lookup and all, i repeat. All computers, servers can do this without problems. If you simply can't connect to yourself through your public IP you've done a really shity nettworking job.

You obviously have no clue how routing works and why hairpinning is designed the way it is. What you are saying is NAT, pc talks to the router, router strips your local IP, puts public on and sends it out. On return, router see that its a response for its own packet, strips the public IP, add the local back and sends it to the PC. PC sees a response from the IP it was trying to reach and is happy.

Connecting to your own public IP from a local IP will result in the router getting the response and saying oh thats me, sending a response back as it self and the PC seeings the packet response is not from the correct IP and discards it. 

2 completely different things. 

Want to connect to your self, you need a loopback, 127.0.0.1. essentially never leaves the interface (kinda). 

Seriously google NAT hairpinning, Ive set it up and its a bitch to config and very specific routers support it. In the consumer world, no its not possible.

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You obviously have no clue how routing works and why hairpinning is designed the way it is. What you are saying is NAT, pc talks to the router, router strips your local IP, puts public on and sends it out. On return, router see that its a response for its own packet, strips the public IP, add the local back and sends it to the PC. PC sees a response from the IP it was trying to reach and is happy.

Connecting to your own public IP from a local IP will result in the router getting the response and saying oh thats me, sending a response back as it self and the PC seeings the packet response is not from the correct IP and discards it. 

Want to connect to your self, you need a loopback, 127.0.0.1. essentially never leaves the interface (kinda). 

Seriously google NAT hairpinning, Ive set it up and its a bitch to config and very specific routers support it. In the consumer world, no its not possible.

I got no idea why you are so aggressive. And why you are talking about lots of things that i havent mentioned at all. Let me try this one last time to make it clear for you.

You're saying that: If i make a minecraft server on my PC. I CANNOT connect to it using my public IP, because the router would drop the packs.

And here comes my answer to it.

Yes i can do that, because the router will send the pack to the computer that is requesting it. Which means it will send it to me. If that didn't work how would i then be able to check if the server actually worked on my public IP? Should i take the first buss or perhaps a taxi to the closest libarary?

If you had so much networking knowledge that you describe that you have here you would know already that this works. And agruing with someone who does this daily that it does not work, is directly hillarious.

So a tip to you my dear friend. Try to be a bit more respectful. And actually try something before you say it doesen't work.

39 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

To make this more understandable for you i even tok some nice pictures just for you :)

My PC is located at 192.168.10.100, i put up a minecraft server and port forwared it. Then connected using my public IP which you can see the start on in the picture below.

If i cannot connect throught my public IP, then tell me. How come i am on minecraft?

yes i can.png

On 16.5.2018 at 9:24 PM, Kyzer said:

I got a new router from my ISP and there's this new option for port forwarding. It asks me for a Service, but defaults to Other. Which isn't working.

Trying to make a Minecraft server. There's this drop down list where Other is in the port forwarding section - lists basically every type of network protocol, from DNS to FTP to IMAP.

Which one do games use? I don't feel like going through and trying them all, since there's a good 30.

As to helping you my friend. Can you tell me what options is aviable in the drop down menu? Also can you change the TCP /UDP to only be UDP or TCP? If you can put them up seperately as  TCP 25565, UDP 25565 with service type : other.

I got no idea why you are so aggressive. And why you are talking about lots of things that i havent mentioned at all. Let me try this one last time to make it clear for you.

Because you dont understand routing and the protocols behind it. It pisses me off when people spread miss information. While it might work for minecraft, most software will never allow it.

You're saying that: If i make a minecraft server on my PC. I CANNOT connect to it using my public IP, because the router would drop the packs.

Exactly, unless you have a router that supports hairpinning

Yes i can do that, because the router will send the pack to the computer that is requesting it. Which means it will send it to me. If that didn't work how would i then be able to check if the server actually worked on my public IP? Should i take the first buss or perhaps a taxi to the closest libarary?

Again this shows that you have no understanding on how routing works let alone on a layer level. Read my post again, a packets going to be dropped if it gets a response from an IP is was not expecting. 

Want to check to see if your server works? Then try it off network. I would like to see you try that as a sysadmin from internal. 

If you had so much networking knowledge that you describe that you have here you would know already that this works. And agruing with someone who does this daily that it does not work, is directly hillarious.

No you just dont understand the concepts. So you can do it from your server? Ok then you have a router that supports hairpinnign (as I already said multiple times), 2, minecraft must accept responses from any IP. 

Do a simple google search on NAT hairpinning and tell me any of my info is wrong. Dont worry, Ill be waiting. 

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Because you dont understand routing and the protocols behind it. It pisses me off when people spread miss information. While it might work for minecraft, most software will never allow it.

Exactly, unless you have a router that supports hairpinning

Again this shows that you have no understanding on how routing works let alone on a layer level. Read my post again, a packets going to be dropped if it gets a response from an IP is was not expecting. 

Want to check to see if your server works? Then try it off network. I would like to see you try that as a sysadmin from internal. 

No you just dont understand the concepts. So you can do it from your server? Ok then you have a router that supports hairpinnign (as I already said multiple times), 2, minecraft must accept responses from any IP. 

Do a simple google search on NAT hairpinning and tell me any of my info is wrong. Dont worry, Ill be waiting. 

Don't worry, I've already proven you wrong. It's end of discussion.

3 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Don't worry, I've already proven you wrong. It's end of discussion.

Or if you actually read even 1 paragraph on hairpinning you would see how you are wrong.