Intel Icelake Server delayed

@leadeater

People really underestimate how much AMD botched up around 2007, and they've been digging out ever since. Though Intel was in full-on "murder AMD in any market we can find to murder them in" mode during that period.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

@leadeater

People really underestimate how much AMD botched up around 2007, and they've been digging out ever since. Though Intel was in full-on "murder AMD in any market we can find to murder them in" mode during that period.

Intel was probably looking at AMD while they were doing their ARM thing and going "LOL chumps" xD

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Intel was probably looking at AMD while they were doing their ARM thing and going "LOL chumps" xD

Well, if Core had ended up as Netburst 2.0, would it have mattered?

Though there is actually quite a lot of space for ARM-based servers, it's just it'll be going to other companies, if they finally get them online. If AMD had paid 2 billion less for ATI, gotten ARM servers up with the rest of their product stack and simply shrunk Phenom to 32nm, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

Though, when it comes to that ATI acquisition, we really don't talk about enough about the mobile IP solid to Qualcomm was the most valuable part of that entire deal.

16 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Though, when it comes to that ATI acquisition, we really don't talk about enough about the mobile IP solid to Qualcomm was the most valuable part of that entire deal.

Considering how efficient the Adreno series is (especially to remain competitive with Apple), this is the understatement of the decade.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Considering how efficient the Adreno series is (especially to remain competitive with Apple), this is the understatement of the decade.

That IP is worth something like 5x the current value of AMD in total.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

That IP is worth something like 5x the current value of AMD in total.

I don't suppose AMD had a case of Seller's Remorse, did they?

My eyes see the past…

16 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I don't suppose AMD had a case of Seller's Remorse, did they?

Well, ATI had to sell off that IP so that AMD could complete the purchase, I believe. So AMD overpaid for ATI by at least a couple of billion, and the really important IP went to Qualcomm.

In actual hindsight, AMD should have bought Nvidia and let Jensen be CEO. Then we'd also hate everyone in the CPU & GPU industry!

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Icelake sounds cooooool

It also sounds like a 2020 product.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It also sounds like a 2020 product.

global warming in all

I wonder how they come up with all them coooooool names

39 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, ATI had to sell off that IP so that AMD could complete the purchase, I believe. So AMD overpaid for ATI by at least a couple of billion, and the really important IP went to Qualcomm.

In actual hindsight, AMD should have bought Nvidia and let Jensen be CEO. Then we'd also hate everyone in the CPU & GPU industry!

May as well not even be a pc enthusiast if you hate everyone. :P

Did AMD simply pay up with the expectation that they would be obtaining the important IP? 

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

May as well not even be a pc enthusiast if you hate everyone. :P

Did AMD simply pay up with the expectation that they would be obtaining the important IP? 

AMD needed GPU IP because of Intel's iGPUs being important. The entire industry was going to putting more & more parts on die, as true SoCs.

However...

2006 - AMD acquires ATI

2007 - iPhone

That's really what changed. Smartphones went mainstream.