Dual/Multi monitor for school and light video editing?

AngelOfBodom

Hi everyone! 

I've been on the fence on this for quite some time, and finally gave it a good bit of though after this writing heavy & video editing semester. 

I write a TON of (research) papers, which means i need to be able to have chrome up to look up articles, adobe for pdfs, and word to actually write the document. The video editing comes in for my graduate assistantship where I have to edit video lectures for teachers, my own tutorial videos, or other videos my supervisors made. Nothing taxing (it all ends up at 720p, but i like getting the highest possible resolution and downscaling for better results). Anyway with that said, does anyone have any opinions?

I do have a laptop and am considering getting a desk mount for to use with my desktop monitor but am somewhat worries about height, etc. (honestly, the additional wiring kinda bothers me). Whatever is cheaper and best to increase productivity. I also gave Synergy to not buy other (cheap wireless logitech nonsense) peripherals for the laptop setup. Any suggestions or ideas will help

If you already have another monitor, then all you need to use it with your laptop is the correct display cable.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

3 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

If you already have another monitor, then all you need to use it with your laptop is the correct display cable.

Do you know of any/recommend any stands to lift it up to make it relatively even to the monitor? I suppose I'll need to try it out once. It's just the difference in screen size throws me off. 

1 minute ago, AngelOfBodom said:

Do you know of any/recommend any stands to lift it up to make it relatively even to the monitor? I suppose I'll need to try it out once. It's just the difference in screen size throws me off. 

I wouldn't get a stand just to make the laptop the same height as the monitor, but maybe a box or a couple textbooks would do the same thing?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

6 minutes ago, AngelOfBodom said:

Hi everyone! 

I've been on the fence on this for quite some time, and finally gave it a good bit of though after this writing heavy & video editing semester. 

I write a TON of (research) papers, which means i need to be able to have chrome up to look up articles, adobe for pdfs, and word to actually write the document. The video editing comes in for my graduate assistantship where I have to edit video lectures for teachers, my own tutorial videos, or other videos my supervisors made. Nothing taxing (it all ends up at 720p, but i like getting the highest possible resolution and downscaling for better results). Anyway with that said, does anyone have any opinions?

I do have a laptop and am considering getting a desk mount for to use with my desktop monitor but am somewhat worries about height, etc. (honestly, the additional wiring kinda bothers me). Whatever is cheaper and best to increase productivity. I also gave Synergy to not buy other (cheap wireless logitech nonsense) peripherals for the laptop setup. Any suggestions or ideas will help

So what I did was take two Asus Ve228h 1080p Monitors and put them on a WALI display arm (I don't really recommend this one for a few reasons though. I will probably get a different one of I can't the drooping (loose) arm.). Anyway I have one in portait and one in landscape and I love it. The arm also has cable management and the ability to be clamped or free standing (most arms have these features).

For the multiple computer situation I recommend either remoting in to the other PC (though TeamViewer or Windows Remote desktop), try Mouse with out boarders (a Microsoft Garage project that works better than synergy in my experience), or buy another keyboard and mouse (I used the Logitech k400r keyboard and mouse combo when I was also using my laptop/2nd desktop in addition to my main desktop).

The worst mistake I did was ditch the two monitors for the last 6 months and instead went to one big monitor. I switched back when I came home for the Summer and honestly like it better.

Here's what my two monitors look like. I have since flipped the orientations of the monitors around.

IMG_20170925_144736309.thumb.jpg.b0c173a19e199c520fc3b50b5148c817.jpg

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm