SE316M crash with Xen

Hopefully its the right section for this question.

I want to install a current Ubuntu 16.10 LTS repository version of the Xen hypervisor on the SE316M. The Xen version is 4.6

Its not an exact clone of the DL160G6, so I am not sure if that matters in this case.

The installation worked fine, except I get a crash when starting the hypervisor with a "CPU0 Panic" when I enable in BIOS the option "VT-d".

Unfortunately, this is exactly the one option one needs to run any non-aware Guest OK, e.g. Windows on Xen.

Did anyone succeed to get a HVM Guest running with Xen on this machine?

I had the same problem with running Xen on the SE316M1, but didn't figure out a solution.

@CptCarbonat Sorry to hear that, aflter reading your other posts I was hoping you might have some hints.

Meanwhile I found a hint about an XN CPU bit, that should be set to allow the hypervisor to work. Not having set that bit seems to cause a behaviour similar to what I see.

In the I BIOS settings I did not see any entry about that but, however.

VT-d shouldn't be required as it's typically only used for hardware passthrough. Unless that's what you actually want. Alternatively, you could look into other "free" hypervisors like XenServer, ESXi or Microsoft Hyper-V Server.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Without VT-d your are limited to PV (paravirtualization) aware OS'ses. In HMV mode one can install just about anything that has an install CD, so its quite a difference in scope and usability.

But trying out some of the others should certainly rule out a Xen version issue.