Brandnew ASUS Vivobook is Slow

Hi, my sister recently bought a brand new laptop. ASUS Vivobook X510U. 

She’s having issues working because it its slow, shes just using Chrome and upwork while working. I also think she’s not a heavy user. 

When I saw the performance tab, the ram is using 3.1GB of her 4GB memory. Changing tabs and just clicking start menu takes time. 

Any advice or tips to improve it’s performance?

I’m guessing is it the lack of memory? Is 4GB not enough? Does windows eat more memory or are there other issues?

she has anti virus installed other than windows defender and I saw her start menu which is fine. 

Thanks

Core i3-7100u 2.1Ghz

4GB memory

1TB HD 

Nvidia 940MX

windows 10

do a fresh install of windows to get rid of all the bloatware that will no doubt be bogging it down.

also yes, 4GB is not great these days (especially when using chrome)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4GB of ram these days isn't much. Google eats up a lot of ram so upgrading to 8GB will be a huge boost.

hi.

The 4 GB of RAM is the main limiter here. As for the HDD having one would make any machine feel like its from the early 2000's xD. Maybe invest in an SSD later on 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

If I upgrade her memory to 8GB will this void the warranty? Also anyone knows what kind of memory should I get for her? 
Thanks for all the replies! 

21 minutes ago, Edsel said:

Hi, my sister recently bought a brand new laptop. ASUS Vivobook X510U. 

She’s having issues working because it its slow, shes just using Chrome and upwork while working. I also think she’s not a heavy user. 

When I saw the performance tab, the ram is using 3.1GB of her 4GB memory. Changing tabs and just clicking start menu takes time. 

Any advice or tips to improve it’s performance?

I’m guessing is it the lack of memory? Is 4GB not enough? Does windows eat more memory or are there other issues?

she has anti virus installed other than windows defender and I saw her start menu which is fine. 

Thanks

Core i3-7100u 2.1Ghz

4GB memory

1TB HD 

Nvidia 940MX

windows 10

1Kill the bloat with a fresh install of Windows 10 from clean Windows media, not the manufacturer recovery disc (but do create recovery media first). That will kill off all the OEM bloat for good.

If problems persist, consider upgrading to 8GB of RAM.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, Edsel said:

If I upgrade her memory to 8GB will this void the warranty? Also anyone knows what kind of memory should I get for her? 
Thanks for all the replies! 

no it will not void the warranty. though if you do have to send it in for repair for what ever reason, make sure you take out the stick you added in case they have to replace the device since they generally dont send back any additions you made to it

and any DDR4 SODIMM will be fine

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒