Turning a MACBOOK into a NAS

I am on a tight budget and I need more storage so naturally I went to a NAS type config. This is because I had a old MACBOOK lying around. I used Apples file sharing system, but I wanted a real NAS operating system to use on this MAC. If anyone could find anything that is free, easy to install, and straight forward to putting and pulling files off of, that would be great! 

I mean you could do almost anything you are comfortable with. Freenas, Freebsd, ubuntu server, windows even. No matter what you choose you will have to learn Freenas is my favorite out of the options but it all depends on your setup. 

Wouldn't try to do too much with it so you can pretty much do whatever with it.. I don't figure you could get very many drives in there to do a whole lot. But... single volume backup is better than no backup. Mac OS also supports ZFS if you want to attach a removable drive to it.. but ya.. it's never going to be a real NAS.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

how many hard drives doe the macbook have?

i guess one at best?

this is not really a NAS setup, it i simply a place where you would back up your files and thats it just like an external HDD but in a separate PC.

how you wanna do this is totally up to you but the easiest is probably some kind of simple file share depending on with which devices you wanna connect to it.