will this increase FPS in games?

This is my spec.

i7 3770k @ 4.3

Zotac z77 itx

ddr3 8gb Samsung 1333

1060 6gb twin cooler

prodigy bit fenix case

*poor cable management

My question is, if I upgrade to ddr3 16gb 2400 prolly CL 10, then will I see some FPS increase? Is it worth it given that I obtain 16gb module for $140? Or should I spend that money on a h100i v2 and OC my CPU to 4.7?

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

@OCNewbee
first of all, do you have two 4GB sticks? or one 8gb stick? 

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, syn2112 said:

@OCNewbee
first of all, do you have two 4GB sticks? or one 8gb stick? 

I have 2 4gb sticks

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

4 minutes ago, OCNewbee said:

I have 2 4gb sticks

okay then it's not worth it at all to spend 140$ on faster RAM, you might see an FPS bump but it's not enough to justify the price.

but i would guess that there would be very little difference in FPS, if non at all to be honest.

but if you had an i7-8700k for example then yes i would recommend faster RAM
you can also overclock your current RAM to 1600mhz or even 1866mhz :)

Ram speeds do not really affect intel processors in games. You might get 3-5 fps more but that's not worth spending 140$ on

Just now, syn2112 said:

okay then it's not worth it at all to spend 140$ on faster RAM, you might see an FPS bump but it's not enough to justify the price.

but i would guess that there would be very little difference in FPS, if non at all to be honest.

I've seen alotta mixed information regarding ram and FPS. On one hand, some people claim that rams make negligible difference on FPS but on the other hand, people claim that it makes significant difference about 7~20fps. I've seen YouTube videos on both sides so I am really confused. Right now, most of my games are running at mid50s to high 70s. I have an ultrawide monitor so I run games at 2560x1080. If I could get ~10fps more, I'd be satisfied. So here are more concrete questions:

1. 1333 ram to 2666 ram, given that the size stay the same i.e. 8gb, will that affect FPS?

2. from 8gb to 16gb, will that affect the FPS? If so by how much?

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

@OCNewbee

Whats you RAM usage in the games you play the most?

Its only worth upgrading it if you need more total capacity. The increase in speed will result in a negligible fps increase (0-3 FPS i'd guess) Which is just a very bad value.

I'd probably put the money toward better cooling.

Is this your motherboard? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500077

If so, be sure the VRM gets some airflow!

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

@OCNewbee
oh and you can upgrade your cooler to H100i V2 if you want, and when you upgrade your CPU and Motherboard you can reuse that cooler, so i would say its a good investment.

Just now, BarackOBatman said:

@OCNewbee

Whats you RAM usage in the games you play the most?

Its only worth upgrading it if you need more total capacity. The increase in speed will result in a negligible fps increase (0-2 FPS i'd guess)

I'd probably put the money toward better cooling.

Is this your motherboard? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500077

If so, be sure the VRM gets some airflow!

Your link is broken.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

1 minute ago, OCNewbee said:

Your link is broken.

Hmm... it works when i click it. How about this? https://www.zotac.com/my/product/mainboards/zotac-z77-itx-wifi

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

I've seen alotta mixed information regarding ram and FPS. On one hand, some people claim that rams make negligible difference on FPS but on the other hand, people claim that it makes significant difference about 7~20fps. I've seen YouTube videos on both sides so I am really confused. Right now, most of my games are running at mid50s to high 70s. I have an ultrawide monitor so I run games at 2560x1080. If I could get ~10fps more, I'd be satisfied. So here are more concrete questions:

1. 1333 ram to 2666 ram, given that the size stay the same i.e. 8gb, will that affect FPS?

2. from 8gb to 16gb, will that affect the FPS? If so by how much?

Those 20 FPS differences is when your FPS is at 200 and you wanna squeeze more FPS out of your CPU to get 220 or 240 FPS.. not when you have 50 FPS or 70 FPS.... that wont make even the slightest difference whatsoever, because your CPU is not heavily tasked at 50 -70 or even 100 FPS.

Hmm... it works when i click it. How about this? https://www.zotac.com/my/product/mainboards/zotac-z77-itx-wifi

yes that is the product

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

Those 20 FPS differences is when your FPS is at 200 and you wanna squeeze more FPS out of your CPU to get 220 or 240 FPS.. not when you have 50 FPS or 70 FPS.... that wont make even the slightest difference whatsoever, because your CPU is not heavily tasked at 50 -70 or even 100 FPS.

OP's really most likely GPU limited. Upgrading that would be the best investment.

Maybe can sell the 1060 and put the money toward a 1070 or 1070 ti

@OCNewbee

my bad, I fail to understand this. So if you have a high FPS, then rams help more? Conversely, if you have a relatively low framerate, then the effects of ram is negligible?

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

OP's really most likely GPU limited. Upgrading that would be the best investment.

@OCNewbee

yes i know that :) but i mean at 1080p with CPU light games that give you very high FPS, like CSGO for example, faster RAM would make a difference on the max FPS the CPU can output.

2 minutes ago, OCNewbee said:

my bad, I fail to understand this. So if you have a high FPS, then rams help more? Conversely, if you have a relatively low framerate, then the effects of ram is negligible?

yes exactly, you're bottlenecked by your GTX 1060 at 2560x1440, not by your CPU.
at 1080P high framerate your'd be bottlenecked by your CPU, so faster RAM would help with that. (not on all CPU's though)

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

@OCNewbee

Thanks for your suggestion. I've considered this option as well but for most of my games, the CPU usage is only ~50% and GPU is around 60%. Both are not fully utilized. So I feel that these are the NOT the bottlenecks. So I am suspicious about the ram. Oh btw I have an SSD. So hard drive is not the bottleneck.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

yes i know that :) but i mean at 1080p with CPU light games that give you very high FPS, like CSGO for example, faster RAM would make a difference on the max FPS the CPU can output.

I hear ya, no disagreement here.

OP could also try to OC his current RAM before he buys binned RAM.

@OCNewbee all the faster 1600 RAM is just overclocked 1333 ram that is tested and verified to work at the faster speed.

You'll get a small FPS boost, but not worth the amount of money, which you can either spend on upgrading something more useful.

Thanks for your suggestion. I've considered this option as well but for most of my games, the CPU usage is only ~50% and GPU is around 60%. Both are not fully utilized. So I feel that these are the NOT the bottlenecks. So I am suspicious about the ram. Oh btw I have an SSD. So hard drive is not the bottleneck.

GPU is at 60%? o_O what game?

you sure you have 2x4gb sticks?

25 minutes ago, OCNewbee said:

1- My question is, if I upgrade to ddr3 16gb 2400 prolly CL 10, then will I see some FPS increase?

2- Is it worth it given that I obtain 16gb module for $140?

3-Or should I spend that money on a h100i v2 and OC my CPU to 4.7?

1- No

2- It's worth it to get you up to 16GB capacity total, so find the same memory that you already own and make it 16gb total

3- no, if you want more FPS in games upgrade your graphics card instead...your CPU is not holding you back so overclocking it will yield next to no benefit.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

GPU is at 60%? o_O what game?

you sure you have 2x4gb sticks?

I am 100% sure I have 2x4gb lol.

I play hitman, COD WWII and GTA V.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

7 minutes ago, OCNewbee said:

Hmmm.. Something weird is going on here.

I had a similar sounding issue, turned out to be a driver problem.

Other things to consider. Is a framrate limiter or VSYNC enabled?

Do you have the latest drivers from NVIDIA?

I am 100% sure I have 2x4gb lol.

I play hitman, COD WWII and GTA V.

your GPU shouldn't be at 60%.. pretty sure there's a problem.