HP DL380 G7 Memory Config Help

I recent acquired (for free no less :D) an HP DL380 G7 and was surprised to find that all 18 of its memory slots were populated with 8G DIMMs for a total of 144GB (72GB per CPU). I also have another server with only 4GB of RAM and intend to remove this memory and replace it with 6 of the DIMMs from my new server. The config on my DL380 is the usual tri channel per CPU (with the primary slot being white) and I was thinking of removing one DIMM from each of the channels, but which slots should I remove from first?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

look in the manual, its normally the dimms in the channel closest to the cpu.

What other server, this ram is pretty pickly and won't run in all systems.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

look in the manual, its normally the dimms in the channel closest to the cpu.

What other server, this ram is pretty pickly and won't run in all systems.

ok I'll look it up. I guess I didn't think about RAM compatibility either...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

4 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

ok I'll look it up. I guess I didn't think about RAM compatibility either...

this ram work work in  a normal desktop or any lga 115x boards.

42 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

this ram work work in  a normal desktop or any lga 115x boards.

I'd be putting it a different server not a desktop but I still understand that it might not be compatible. I'm having a bit of an issue with the server currently though, it was running fine (it was displaying the bios) but then I tried to turn it off and now it will turn on for a few seconds, and then off, and then repeats this over again. It flashes the status lights for the PSUs orange briefly before booting but the power supplies were recently tested as working in another server. Before this I couldn't get the server to boot at all unless I left it plugged in for a while. Thoughts on this issue?

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

18 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I'd be putting it a different server not a desktop but I still understand that it might not be compatible. I'm having a bit of an issue with the server currently though, it was running fine (it was displaying the bios) but then I tried to turn it off and now it will turn on for a few seconds, and then off, and then repeats this over again. It flashes the status lights for the PSUs orange briefly before booting but the power supplies were recently tested as working in another server. Before this I couldn't get the server to boot at all unless I left it plugged in for a while. Thoughts on this issue?

sounds like a psu issue. Does it have dual psus? 

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

sounds like a psu issue. Does it have dual psus? 

Yep, though the weird thing is one of the IT members of the company I got this server from tested them in another server and they were fine. I guess it could also be the PSU backplane.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs: