Homemade 8800 GTS Water Cooling

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and just wanted to know, if anybody on here is experimenting with building their own water block for their graphics cards??

I just did this concept design for a ZOTAC 8800 GTS 512MB, that I will do some test runs on soon.

Thinking about using Firestrike, Furmark and Heaven for comparison of the stock cooler :)

The design was made in SolidWorks 2018.

gts-blok.JPG

Its cool and all that you want to do this but why????

Not really my thing but I do can tell you, do not use FurMark on a 8800 GTS, it'll be dead within the first 5 minutes of stressing, stick to Heaven only.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, bhnielsen91 said:

-

I don't (and I don't think many do here).

Admittedly I don't really understand the design since there are no microfins or obvious channels for the water to go through, or the O-rings for sealing. G1/4 threads. so on - perhaps a bit of annotation could help?

Another is the need to watercool such an old card, although I appreciate it's probably for fun (which is a fine reason). 

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

Its cool and all that you want to do this but why????

Because I'm at school right now, and I think it would be a fun project to work on .. I had the 8800 laying arround anyway, sooo :)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not really my thing but I do can tell you, do not use FurMark on a 8800 GTS, it'll be dead within the first 5 minutes of stressing, stick to Heaven only.

Will do .. however, might put it on fire later, if the cooling is working xD

Just now, bhnielsen91 said:

Because I'm at school right now, and I think it would be a fun project to work on .. I had the 8800 laying arround anyway, sooo :)

i agree with @Princess Cadence furmark is going to cook that card

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I don't (and I don't think many do here).

Admittedly I don't really understand the design since there are no microfins or obvious channels for the water to go through, or the O-rings for sealing. G1/4 threads. so on - perhaps a bit of annotation could help?

Another is the need to watercool such an old card, although I appreciate it's probably for fun (which is a fine reason). 

I'm a trained machinist, so that's why I'd fiddle arround with these projects xD

The o-ring would do fine with a NBR-70 seal .. M10x1 for the studs, making my own probably ..

That copper thingy is 56x56 mm - no fins, cus .... it would be cheaper to produce, considered I don't have acces to a shop .. And it's just for a school project, so it'll do :)

14 minutes ago, bhnielsen91 said:

I'm a trained machinist, so that's why I'd fiddle arround with these projects xD

The o-ring would do fine with a NBR-70 seal .. M10x1 for the studs, making my own probably ..

That copper thingy is 56x56 mm - no fins, cus .... it would be cheaper to produce, considered I don't have acces to a shop .. And it's just for a school project, so it'll do :)

adding just large fins in the machined surface would go a long way and shouldn't increase cost as the machine would be removing less material and thus it wouldnt exactly take much longer. Just doo 1mm wide fins 1-3 mm deep? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Needs fins inside the heat transfer cavity.  Simple flow path blocks have been insufficient since CPUs/GPUs went over ~50w.

Can the flow rate and the normal temperature of the fluid medium make up for this? :)

Just now, bhnielsen91 said:

Can the flow rate and the normal temperature of the fluid medium make up for this? :)

Nope.  Temp differential will be massive between the core and the medium because you do not have sufficient heat transfer area.

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

adding just large fins in the machined surface would go a long way and shouldn't increase cost as the machine would be removing less material and thus it wouldnt exactly take much longer. Just doo 1mm wide fins 1-3 mm deep? 

I know, but .. it requires small expensive tools and machines with high speed spindles .. but ya, surface area is key! :)

3 hours ago, bhnielsen91 said:

-

and so where does the water go in? and where does the water go out? is there another piece that is meant to fit onto this? 

12 minutes ago, For Science! said:

and so where does the water go in? and where does the water go out? is there another piece that is meant to fit onto this? 

ya see them two holes? ... ;)

studs, hoses, yada yada :)