Concern of overclock settings when folding

Hi guys just joined the good cause of folding at home for disease research last night on my gaming rig 4690k @ 4.2mhz ring ratio 40 base 100 on 1.22v on air hyper 212 evo, gpu asus strix gtx 1060 6GB OC addition.

All went well until this morning, switch my rig on again started folding no issues on medium settings.

Thought I would switch it to full as it hadn't got long to finish. Went out the room, came back, sat down read a book. Looked up and the debug led read packet temp 35 ( down from 60-70 when folding ). I thought damn done already.

Turned on the monitor and it had rebooted. Clicked on the folding at home desktop shortcut and nothing. 

Deleted it, reinstalled a few times using the uninstalled button on the folder, uninstalling from the add/uninstall part of control panel and straight up deleting the folder different times. Nothing worked. Found a thread from today on the Stanford uni forums about a similar issue of a guy who had had 2 graphics card work fine for a year. Was suggested to install the previous nvidia driver as the recent one was crap. Done that and it worked for him, I tried it and its working for me. 

However I was reading a haswell overclocking guide on overclockers and they suggested to keep the overclock on fixed voltage ( and I assume frequency ) whilst folding at home as the voltage spikes might be too much and cause issue.

Would you suggest I do this too with my overclock?

Orion

53 minutes ago, Orion88 said:

Hi guys just joined the good cause of folding at home for disease research last night on my gaming rig 4690k @ 4.2mhz ring ratio 40 base 100 on 1.22v on air hyper 212 evo, gpu asus strix gtx 1060 6GB OC addition.

All went well until this morning, switch my rig on again started folding no issues on medium settings.

Thought I would switch it to full as it hadn't got long to finish. Went out the room, came back, sat down read a book. Looked up and the debug led read packet temp 35 ( down from 60-70 when folding ). I thought damn done already.

Turned on the monitor and it had rebooted. Clicked on the folding at home desktop shortcut and nothing. 

Deleted it, reinstalled a few times using the uninstalled button on the folder, uninstalling from the add/uninstall part of control panel and straight up deleting the folder different times. Nothing worked. Found a thread from today on the Stanford uni forums about a similar issue of a guy who had had 2 graphics card work fine for a year. Was suggested to install the previous nvidia driver as the recent one was crap. Done that and it worked for him, I tried it and its working for me. 

However I was reading a haswell overclocking guide on overclockers and they suggested to keep the overclock on fixed voltage ( and I assume frequency ) whilst folding at home as the voltage spikes might be too much and cause issue.

Would you suggest I do this too with my overclock?

Orion

Would you be interested in getting involved in the BOINC event we are currently competing in? 

P.S. I'd back off on that OC by 100-200 MHz and then go on with the fixed voltage. Either that or your voltage isn't quite enough to keep 'er stable.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

42 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Would you be interested in getting involved in the BOINC event we are currently competing in? 

P.S. I'd back off on that OC by 100-200 MHz and then go on with the fixed voltage. Either that or your voltage isn't quite enough to keep 'er stable.

Okay thank you Mr Quigley. I will take that onboard and I will look at your link now. Good folding.