Are Seasonic power supplies reliable?

Talon20

The gold rated models are excellent, below that they can be average or mediocre. If you can spend a little more to go for a gold rated model, it's worth it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Basically "it's shitty because another model similar to it is shitty, although I can't provide an example of this specific model going into flames." 9_9

No, it has the same Supervisior.

Proof:
https://ru.gecid.com/power/seasonic_s12ii-520_bronze_ss-520gb_2015/

https://ru.gecid.com/power/seasonic_s12ii-620_bronze_ss-620gb_2015/

And Seasonic doesn't allow many changes to their units either, last time I've checked, so its highly probable that the difference between an original Seasonic and 3rd Party are slim to nothing.

For like the fiftieth time, I am NOT recommending the S12II, nor do I recommend something because it's Seasonic (and eww on that last model you linked), but "not good by today's standards" and "shitty" are two different things.

No, you are defending the S12II-Bronze units, wich is about the same thing.

I've given you proof that its a rather bad unit, worse t han HEC made Bronze ones - way worse.

And I also linked an original Seasonic model that was killed in the Test - wich also makes it a bad unit, wich also had the HY-510N that Seasonic loves to use!

Just google that and look at the datasheet!
UVP on +3,3V and +5V are bad, its not present on +12V at all and OCP is also not there - wich is a nono on group regulated units because it needs OCP in the Supervisior, DC-DC can live without because it can be in the Buck Converter Regulator.

And now I've given you proof that the original Seasonic branded ones use the same HY-510N Protection chip.

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

The gold rated models are excellent, below that they can be average or mediocre. If you can spend a little more to go for a gold rated model, it's worth it.

The X/P Series are regarded highly and not that bad.

The S12G Series aka G-Series isn't that great and can be rather loud.

So the mid range Gold Series can be mediocre already...

And the Bronze is rather bad, not even average or mediocre because lack of protection, because its almost 10 Years old, because of the Crossload Problems that other units do not have.

I've posted the Computerbase Review and there the Cougar did stay in spec at all times, the Seasonic made XFX did not,

I'm pretty sure that if these units were made by another manufacturer, no one would consider them good units xD

Absolutely!

If be quiet or Corsair would have made them, everyone would bash them for that...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Basically "it's shitty because another model similar to it is shitty, although I can't provide an example of this specific model going into flames." 9_9

For like the fiftieth time, I am NOT recommending the S12II, nor do I recommend something because it's Seasonic (and eww on that last model you linked), but "not good by today's standards" and "shitty" are two different things. Given your regular desire to start flame wars (I remember when you started every damn post with "why do you lie and say..."), I won't respond anymore. Troll away.

You call him a troll but he has actually shown some evidence and data while you only flame him. Just check the HY-510N datasheet (and you will notice it's a really bad protection IC) or the crossload test of Antec HCG Bronze 620M (which uses the same GB platform, but with some differences like a decent Supervisor IC). Then check S12II and M12II price and its competitors. Can that be called a decent PSU?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-620M/ <- funny fact, actually called 'old' in 2012

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/HY510N_v1 301.pdf

All manufacturers, even Bitfenix (despite being so small in the PSU market!) have developed newer and better PSUs in that price range. Corsair was selling their older VS or CX series 'without effort' just as Seasonic with their S12II, but they renewed them. Seasonic is still selling a unit which lacks every aspect compared to some competitors! Is that a decent PSU? Honestly, I don't think so.

57 minutes ago, breixobaloca said:

You call him a troll but he has actually shown some evidence and data while you only flame him.

No, I call him a troll because he is one. You're relatively new here so I'm guessing you haven't followed his behavior. I think it was around a month ago that he hijacked a topic of mine and was trying to start an argument about case windows being illegal. Before that he'd call everyone a liar (not "wrong", just a liar) who said Intel processors were beneficial over Ryzen in some cases. The list goes on and on.

I think we have different qualifiers of what's "shitty". To me, if something was acceptable by previous standards, it can't become shitty because the standards change. There are plenty of things I'd never recommend someone buy today (a dual core CPU would be an example), but I'm also not urging everyone with that item to immediately get a replacement. As nobody is arguing for the purchase of the S12II unit, I don't think we really disagree. It's just a difference in definitions. :)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I think we have different qualifiers of what's "shitty". To me, if something was acceptable by previous standards, it can't become shitty because the standards change. 

Yeah.  1959 Chevy Bel Airs get great gas mileage, have clean exhaust and do awesome in crash tests.

Back at the Topic, about the Realibility of Seasonic Units:

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/962-3/alimentations.html  <- 2h 2016 Statistics, Seasonic 1,7% Return rate, Corsair 0,77%, be quiet 0,48%

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/954-3/alimentations.html <- 2015 statistics, Seasonic 2,02%, be quiet 0,98 and Corsair 0,90

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/934-3/alimentations.html <- 2014 statistics,  Seasonic 2,1%, Corsair 1,55% and be quiet 0,62% 

(somehow people didn't like the Corsair AX1200i wich had a return rate of 10%)

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You're relatively new here so I'm guessing you haven't followed his behavior.

Why do you think that he first met me at LTT Forums??
I have bad news for you: Out of the last 5 Postings or so, most people know me from other Forums. 

And why do you think that we don't know each other? Or just met in this Forum?

I think it was around a month ago that he hijacked a topic of mine and was trying to start an argument about case windows being illegal.

There is regulation about Electromagnetic Compatibility that forbids the selling of certain components and in some cases even the use of that.

And that's why you see sometimes in the manual of components that the component must not be used outside of a case. And other stuff that is sold as "Show Case"...

To me, if something was acceptable by previous standards, it can't become shitty because the standards change.

So an old 350W PSU with 33A on +5V and 18A on +12V is still a good part? Even with Efficiency in the lower 70% range??

Or a 520W PSU with 52A on +5V and 28A on +12V?? (Topower P4) And Efficiency in the mid 60s to 70s...

And an Aopen HQ08 is still a good case, because it was considered a good case back in 2001...

So yes, something can become shitty because everything around it changes!

You have to see everything in Context and the Market segment something is in.

Something that was perfectly aceptable in ancient times might not be today. The EVGA NEX 750B is another example. A similar Plattform was used by FSP itself in the Epsilon and Bluestorm line of PSU. And also be quiet used it in the E5, possibly E6 - and that was back in 2006-8 or so.

And it wasn't a good plattform even back in those days...

As nobody is arguing for the purchase of the S12II unit, I don't think we really disagree. It's just a difference in definitions. :)

No, because people looking for information, who want to buy stuff might find this thread for whatever reason, see your posting and go buy an M12II-Bronze (EVO) because of your statements.

And because he doesn't know that much about PC stuff, a cable is a cable, he uses the modular cables from his old unit (I don't know, old Corsair CS550M or so) and because people tell all the time that Corsair is Seasonic, he doesn't see a reason to doubt that and uses the Drive connectors from his old PSU with the Seasonic.

What do you think will happen in this case?!

We are talking about a PSU without OCP on neither +5V nor 3,3V, only a very shitty UVP and not even that on +12V...

How likely is it that this setup might fry is drives??
I'd say its very likely that all his drives will be dead and other stuff also...

With a good quality PSU with decent Protection, that might not have been the case...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

No, I call him a troll because he is one. You're relatively new here so I'm guessing you haven't followed his behavior. I think it was around a month ago that he hijacked a topic of mine and was trying to start an argument about case windows being illegal. Before that he'd call everyone a liar (not "wrong", just a liar) who said Intel processors were beneficial over Ryzen in some cases. The list goes on and on.

I think we have different qualifiers of what's "shitty". To me, if something was acceptable by previous standards, it can't become shitty because the standards change. There are plenty of things I'd never recommend someone buy today (a dual core CPU would be an example), but I'm also not urging everyone with that item to immediately get a replacement. As nobody is arguing for the purchase of the S12II unit, I don't think we really disagree. It's just a difference in definitions. :)

I already know him from other forums, as with other frequent members of this sub-forum. And I cannot take that 'hijacking' accusation seriously, mainly because he has no reason for that. And I don't agree with you mostly because quality standards matter to me, as I don't always agree with Stefan. For example, I give a f* about RMA stats.

After saying this, I would simply like to end this conversation and move on to something more on-topic.

On 2018-05-03 at 12:00 PM, Talon20 said:

the power supply model is the M12II

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/858096-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-s12iim12ii-in-2017-or-later-years/

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.