Super loud fan noises

NegNoodles

I've recently assembled a new PC and I am using the Corsair Crystal 460x case with the three front fans. I don't have any fans in the back or top of the case.

I have a Gigabyte Z370 HD3 board paired with the i7 8700K, 16GB DDR4 RAM, a GTX 1080, a Samsung 500GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. THe CPU cooler is the CM Hyper 212 EVO.

I have gone into the BIOS to ensure my fans are all on silent, because I absolutely hate the fan noise. However, I realized that everytime I restart my PC, there's like a 1/5 chance where the fans won't start spinning at their top speeds. It's really loud, yet I've used HWMOnitor to ensure that my idle temps are always in the 30s-40s. I have ensured that all three fans including CPUfans are on silent, so why are they this loud? My temps aren't high either. 

One additional info, not sure of its relevance, but when I was installing the CPUcooler on the mobo, I had an extremely hard time as it was impossible for it to latch on. It's hard to explain, but basically the four metal "legs" cannot go into all four holes at the same time. When I install one side, the other side pops up at such an angle that I needed alot of force to force it down. APparently it's common among gigabyte board owners. In the process, I smudged the thermalpaste quite a bit as I kept having to readjust and reinstall the CPU cooler. The thing is I have been tracking my temps and it's still low so I doubt it was much of an issue.

So TLDR; why are my fans so loud when idling despite clean fans + silent mode + low temps?

Gigabyte's SIV fan control isn't great. I have a similar issue with a secondary system and have to start up their In-Windows SIV app to engage custom fan speeds. 

It's normal for coolers to be particularly tight and take a bit of pressure during installation for good cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

33 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Gigabyte's SIV fan control isn't great. I have a similar issue with a secondary system and have to start up their In-Windows SIV app to engage custom fan speeds. 

It's normal for coolers to be particularly tight and take a bit of pressure during installation for good cooling. 

Hi thanks for the response. Would you please kindly point to what specific program I should be looking for? 

Also, the smudged thermalpaste is fine right?

1 minute ago, NegNoodles said:

Hi thanks for the response. Would you please kindly point to what specific program I should be looking for? 

Also, the smudged thermalpaste is fine right?

System Information Viewer / Smart Fan 5 (SIV)

You can download it on the motherboard's webpage under Utilities. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-HD3-rev-10#support-dl

Smudging the paste is fine as long as the cooler was evenly mounted and the paste spreads over the cpu.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

System Information Viewer / Smart Fan 5 (SIV)

You can download it on the motherboard's webpage under Utilities. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-HD3-rev-10#support-dl

Smudging the paste is fine as long as the cooler was evenly mounted and the paste spreads over the cpu.

I see, thanks so much for your help

Its normal mobo operation to have fans spin at full speed first few secs when booting. Thats just part of POST. If they don't calm down, thats when there are something needed. Also cooler thing is normal, and with all boards/coolers. My worst experience was with MSI board and 212 Evo. U14S on 2 Gigabyte boards was quite easy in comparison while I needed to use force on that too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv