What is better CPU coolers?

What is better, Water Cooler or Air cooler.

At the moment I use Cooler Master - Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler. The Speedfan is reading the CPU at: 49c 120.2f.

Soon at a later date is get a new pc case. I have been looking at Game Max Titan PC Gaming Case with 2 x RGB Front Fan, 1 x Rear Fan and Remote Control - White price £68.99 or 2nd hand at £42.85.

e24d0325e59662154c2ce0e8e4c0b245.med.1600.jpg

71oBa62sUyL._SL1200_.jpg

There's no clear cut answer between the two honestly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Idle temps dont mean much. Full load temps is what matters.

This case doesnt seem to have much space for an liquid cooler without taking away airflow for the graphics card.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Idle temps dont mean much. Full load temps is what matters.

This case doesnt seem to have much space for an liquid cooler without taking away airflow for the graphics card.

This what the case looks inside.

Product Description

The Game Max Titan PC case is an ATX gaming case and enhances our Game Max range further with a top cover with a removable dust filter, the front panel made from mesh steel gives the case high end cooling. A perspex side window allows users to see their components bathed in the glow from the 3 x 120mm RGB fans (2 at the front and 1 at the rear), keeping your components both cool and colourful. A luxurious black interior and rolled edges for safety makes this design simply outstanding. This case supports ATX, Micro ATX and Mini ITX motherboards. Key Features Case Type - ATX gaming case Front Panel - With removable metal mesh Top Panel - With removable metal mesh I/O Port - USB 2.0 x 2, USB 3.0 x 2 and HD Audio Side Window - Perspex side Fans - 2 x 120mm RGB fans on the front, 1 x 120mm RGB fan on the back Chassis - Black coating interior Front Panel Colour - Black Body Colour - Black Max. VGA Card (Length) - 415mm Max. CPU Cooler (Height) - 175mm Cable Management - 36mm Fan Control - 2 groups

61dpb9LM8mL._SL1200_.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hyderpony (Gallop Crush) said:

This what the case looks inside.

You can install a 240mm radiator in the top and the front. Not sure what your route specifically is, but AIO would be the easiest.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

What will you use in it then? Certainly big enough for the tallest air coolers, but also enough space for 280mm liquid coolers 

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

What will you use in it then? Certainly big enough for the tallest air coolers, but also enough space for 280mm liquid coolers 

The fan mounts do not give it support for 280mm radiators. 240mm max.

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I make videos for YouTube, Reactions and 4k vlogs.

That case is kinda expensive (new) considering it's generic, also from the pics provided looks like it has an unnecesary amount of plastic at the top that prevents hot air to leave the case quickly, same with that bottom cover blocking most of the airflow, if you add a front 240mm rad then you'll be out of fresh air intakes for the graphics card(s), that's why most cases include an optional bottom intake, it might look good but if you want performance and airflow go for something else

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

20 minutes ago, Hyderpony (Gallop Crush) said:

What is better, Water Cooler or Air cooler

Air:

Pros - Simple, easy to replace the fan if it breaks, minimal points of failure, good air coolers tend to be quieter than liquid cooling pumps

Cons - If you want performance on par with 280mm AIOs, you'll need a tower (or two) the size of an elephant. More prone to damaging motherboards if you're an idiot and leave a huge tower connected when you travel with your PC. Some of them are an absolute bitch and a half to mount.

Liquid (AIOs only, not talking about custom loops here):

Pros - A good 280mm AIO will outperform any air cooler, including the D15. Much more compact than an equivalent tower. If you like aesthetics and don't want a chunk of metal the size of a brick in the middle of everything, liquid is the way to go

Cons - Pumps are loud, mmmkay? Mounting the pump is easy enough, but mounting the rad itself can be a pain. Three points of failure (pump, joints, fans) as opposed to just one--and failure on two of those three points can, if the stars are misaligned and God hates you, kill components. When the pump dies, that's it, your AIO is garbage. No replacing it. Tends to be significantly more expensive than a tower cooler with the same performance.

After using both air and liquid, my preference is air. I'm not a "MACH TEN!" type of overclocker. I'm just looking for something that gives me a noticeable, functional bump in performance. I don't care about making my R7 1700 go Warp 4.2, I just want it to hold Warp 3.7 all the time instead of turboing up there every so often. That can be accomplished with something like a Cryorig H7, even less beefy than the Cryorig H5 Ultimate I'm using. I prefer the reliability and simplicity of air, even if it means having a big hunk of metal in the middle of everything. That's not to say I wouldn't use water again in the right circumstances, I just prefer air for most systems.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

It's not universal, but generally with air coolers, the biggest one that fits in your case is the best.

I love my Cryorig R1 Ultimate, but it presses up again the edge of my window.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

That case is kinda expensive (new) considering it's generic, also from the pics provided looks like it has an unnecesary amount of plastic at the top that prevents hot air to leave the case quickly, same with that bottom cover blocking most of the airflow, if you add a front 240mm rad then you'll be out of fresh air intakes for the graphics card(s), that's why most cases include an optional bottom intake, it might look good but if you want performance and airflow go for something else

You can put 2 fans at the top of the case too.

1 minute ago, Hyderpony (Gallop Crush) said:

You can put 2 fans at the top of the case too.

Read.

15 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

unnecesary amount of plastic at the top that prevents hot air to leave the case quickly, same with that bottom cover blocking most of the airflow

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

What cpu are you cooling and what are your load temps?

Is there anything unsatisfactory about your current cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Consider the Focus G, is around $45 and has great airflow, the Meshify C Mini is also pretty decent, it's kinda hard to find a case with a front mesh panel nowadays, almost every modern case looks like a fridge... if you want airflow the Corsair 730 or 760T are great but also expensive

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

22 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu are you cooling and what are your load temps?

Is there anything unsatisfactory about your current cooler?

Only asking what is the best cooler to use. Best prog to use to get load temps?

Only asking what is the best cooler to use. Best prog to use to get load temps?

What cpu do you have? I usually use OCCT for synthetic loads.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu do you have? I usually use OCCT for synthetic loads.

Intel - Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core

Intel - Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core

The TX3 should be enough for stock speeds but not if you want any substantial oc.

If you want to oc, some good options include:

Windale 6: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ntwqqs/fsp-group-windale-6-600-cfm-cpu-cooler-ac602

Lucifer K2: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/LzNypg/deepcool-cpu-cooler-luciferk2

Mugen 5: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/q9QRsY/scythe-mugen-5-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5000

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The TX3 should be enough for stock speeds but not if you want any substantial oc.

If you want to oc, some good options include:Windale 6: 

Mugen 5: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/q9QRsY/scythe-mugen-5-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5000

I don't like how the fans clip on Deepcool and Scythe)

1 minute ago, Hyderpony (Gallop Crush) said:

I don't like how the fans clip on Deepcool and Scythe)

What don't you like about it?

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you want to oc, some good options include:

Windale 6: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ntwqqs/fsp-group-windale-6-600-cfm-cpu-cooler-ac602

The FSP Windale 6 CPU Cooler 6 does not look like it meant for LGA 1151 boards.