[HELP] Laptop CPU clock speed keeps going down to 700mhz

so I bought a gaming laptop around end of march. and as soon as I got it, I updated the software with driver booster, at first I noticed nothing wrong except that while gaming my CPU clockspeed will go down to 700mhz even with like 5 minutes of gaming, and its not a very demanding game either. (payday 2, MGS V). so I checked the temperature and the temperature (GPU and CPU) CPU was at 80 celcius and GPU was at 87 celcius. but after a few days the problem just seemt o never appeared again, then  formatted the laptop and this time installed the driver from the laptop's manufacturer's website, same thing happened it would go down to 700mhz,then after few days all problems are gone, until now. the problems starts to resurface more often now, and I'm all out of ideas. please help !!!

P.S seems that clock speed goes back to normal again when I'm not playing games

in case anyone was wondering the laptop is an asus ROG g701vi

CPU is a i7-6820HK

GPU is a GTX 1080

32GB dual channel DDR4 ram

6 minutes ago, ryuci said:

CPU was at 80 celcius and GPU was at 87 celcius

It's throttling because your system is running too hot.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Lower the settings in the games as it is most likely thermal throttling

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

Sounds like thermal throttling. The CPU is likely getting too hot and is lowering its speed and voltage to keep its temperature down. Make sure that your laptops air vents are clean and make sure that they are not blocked or obstructed by any objects when you are playing. Play with the laptop on a hard, smooth, flat surface. If it still throttles, then check your fan speeds and make sure that Windows is set to use the “High Performance” power plan. Try playing with the charger plugged in as well.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

11 minutes ago, Husky said:

Sounds like thermal throttling. The CPU is likely getting too hot and is lowering its speed and voltage to keep its temperature down. Make sure that your laptops air vents are clean and make sure that they are not blocked or obstructed by any objects when you are playing. Play with the laptop on a hard, smooth, flat surface. If it still throttles, then check your fan speeds and make sure that Windows is set to use the “High Performance” power plan. Try playing with the charger plugged in as well.

Agree 

And after this it continues doing it you can try repasting with something like Arctic Mx 4

7 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

Arctic Mx 4

^^Not for laptops. Dries out too quickly.

38 minutes ago, ryuci said:

asus ROG g701vi

Asus infamous temp limits kick in. My advice: You need to undervolt (yes, no OC) and do a repaste (Asus infamous bad thermal paste job).

Lesson of the day? Don't buy Asus gaming laptops, FX and GL series have mediocre cooling, high end lineup like G and GX series are too expensive and get still have issues. HK CPU are so much worse than a desktop K CPU. You can get a better laptop like Clevo P775TM, much better value. Zephyrus M is OK but not perfect either. Oh yeah, forgot their terrible QC and QA too.

@D2ultima perhaps you can explain more on this

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

^^Not for laptops. Dries out too quickly.

Oh. What should be used for laptops?

10 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

Oh. What should be used for laptops?

Gelid GE Extreme, IC Diamond (especially for uneven heatsink), TG Kryonaut and even AS5.

If you're adventurous, try LM like Conductonaut but make sure you know what you're doing.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

34 minutes ago, Husky said:

Thanks for the replies, the thing is, i always play on smooth,flat hard surface. Set the fan to max as well, and i always play games on it while it being plugged in

and it still does that. Also sorry that i wasnt being too clear on the temperature. When i said it was at 80 celcius  meant it peaked at 80, generally it hover between high 60 to low 70

2 minutes ago, ryuci said:

Thanks for the replies, the thing is, i always play on smooth,flat hard surface. Set the fan to max as well and it still does that. Also sorry that i wasnt being too clear on the temperature. When i said it was at 80 celcius  meant it peaked at 80, generally it hover between high 60 to low 70

Surface is not the problem. The cooling design of the laptop is. And that's why most Asus gaming laptops have such loud fan noise under load compared to other options. Because the cooling system just sucks, even 100% fans can't do much. 80℃ CPU temp in games is a bit high IMO. And if it's peaking at 80℃ it sounds more like a temp limit, though I can't 100% confirm on that.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler