Video Game Streaming through Cabled Connection

Caius Filimon

Hi guys; not certain if this is the sub-forum for the question but here it is:

I have a 4k screen notebook and a powerful gaming 1080p laptop. I wish to emulate Steam Streaming without an internet connection (so just connect the two laptops together) to have the gaming laptop render everything, and the notebook to display the results and sending in the controls.

I cannot see why streaming like this can be done through the internet but not through a wired connection. 

Thank you for your help and expertise.

Thier FAQ says it only work on on LAN (not though internet). https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617#howdoiuseit

"Login to the Steam client on two computers on the same network"

Others have said that you have to sign in to both with internet at least one time on each machine, than they can both work in offline mode. 

Also just because you connect a cable between two machines (without a router/switch) does not mean they are on the same network if both have DHCP enabled.

If you are directly connecting both together via ethernet; than you would have to statically set an IP and subnet mask on both machines so they can talk to ea. other. (no gateway is needed)

Usually your home router would be fine and still allow internet access. Why not use both machines on the same home router? I think 4k only needs like 100mbps link which should be easy via wired, but may be a challenge if wifi is crappy.

11 hours ago, BeefyMeats said:

Thier FAQ says it only work on on LAN (not though internet). https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617#howdoiuseit

"Login to the Steam client on two computers on the same network"

Others have said that you have to sign in to both with internet at least one time on each machine, than they can both work in offline mode. 

Also just because you connect a cable between two machines (without a router/switch) does not mean they are on the same network if both have DHCP enabled.

If you are directly connecting both together via ethernet; than you would have to statically set an IP and subnet mask on both machines so they can talk to ea. other. (no gateway is needed)

Usually your home router would be fine and still allow internet access. Why not use both machines on the same home router? I think 4k only needs like 100mbps link which should be easy via wired, but may be a challenge if wifi is crappy.

Thank you very much for your help!

I live in a student dorm with only one ethernet slot so it would be impossible for me to do it the normal way. 

Oh, so Steam Streaming does not even use internet, but only the home network which can also be called LAN? So in that sense it is definitely possible to have two machines communicating.

Would it be possible to just buy a router or some other device to allow the machines to properly communicate with each other, even if the router does not have any internet? I would be able to get the machines connected to wifi for steam stream verification and what not, so could I get a router that is not actually connected to the internet?

If you don't want to directly connect both together.Then buy a mini network switch. Than plug both into the switch, and the switch into the single internet port. The good thing about a (non managed) switch is that it does not matter where things get connected.

10 hours ago, BeefyMeats said:

If you don't want to directly connect both together.Then buy a mini network switch. Than plug both into the switch, and the switch into the single internet port. The good thing about a (non managed) switch is that it does not matter where things get connected.

Thank you very much for your help! That should do it.

So this way I can either have a direct laptop to laptop connection with an ethernet cable and creating an IP address myself, or have a switch to have internet go to both machines.

And either way, I actually found out that you can rout internet from one machine to the other using an ethernet cable from a machine connected through ethernet to the net. So I would not even need a switch if I take a few minutes to configure it, I think. 

On 4/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, Caius Filimon said:

Thank you very much for your help! That should do it.

So this way I can either have a direct laptop to laptop connection with an ethernet cable and creating an IP address myself, or have a switch to have internet go to both machines.

And either way, I actually found out that you can rout internet from one machine to the other using an ethernet cable from a machine connected through ethernet to the net. So I would not even need a switch if I take a few minutes to configure it, I think. 

I would recommend getting an unmanaged switch to save yourself the headache.

It'll also be something that you'll have and use forever until it breaks, in other settings.

You can find some from reputable brands for very cheap and they are plug and play.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

18 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

I would recommend getting an unmanaged switch to save yourself the headache.

It'll also be something that you'll have and use forever until it breaks, in other settings.

You can find some from reputable brands for very cheap and they are plug and play.

Thank you very much! 

If possible, could you please mention some of the ones you would go for if you were to buy one for game streaming?

On 5/4/2018 at 10:01 AM, Caius Filimon said:

Thank you very much! 

If possible, could you please mention some of the ones you would go for if you were to buy one for game streaming?

Honestly, any gigabit one would be fine.

Check out reviews, but you can get a solid Netgear, Linksys, TP-Link, etc. for under $30.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard