Deleted the wrong partition...

NorthLake

I know, I know, it's the stupidest thing I could do... Don't judge me...

So I've accidentally deleted the wrong partition on my laptop (from internal drive instead of the external one). It seems that Windows used it to boot, because now I get a BSOD every time I boot it up. Besides the now empty space of about 17MB there are three other partitions: Windows (1TB), Recovery (524MB), and ESP (105MB).

Does anybody know what the partition that I've stupidly deleted is, and whether I can do anything to revert my stupid actions without reinstalling Windows?

This is a screenshot of all the partitions on the drive made with a Kali drive I had lying around:

5ae1eade70e5b_Screenshotfrom2018-04-2619-04-59.png.bb98f01b739d483cde3e1ca8d4cb9395.png

that is (or was) the windows bootloader, no idea if it can be restored without reinstalling

You can actually restore that with a kinda re-install. grave your winDVD and do a inplace upgrade it should rebuild that partition and just copy over the windows files without affecting too much

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

backups?

there are ways to recovery, but backups are great.

I do have a backup, but it's only of the Windows partition. :(

it is possible to get back that partition without losing data at all (i have deleted a 1tb partition by mistake before), but i dont know how you would do that without windows..

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

easiest option is to put windows on USB and do a recovery, maybe windows could fix that by itself without losing anything

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 minutes ago, NorthLake said:

I do have a backup, but it's only of the Windows partition. :(

Ouch! Sorry! This is a little late for you you but your experience should underscore for others the importance of having backups of your data. Ideally, you should have two backups, one kept onsite and the other offsite and the two backups should be swapped out frequently to facilitate keeping the offsite backup as up to date as possible. But even only one backup trumps no backup.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!