Case appears to be preventing computer from powering on

Troika

So, I know the psu works, I tested it on the current setup I'm using and I know the board, cpu and ram works because I tested it with a different psu and I know the whole system worked previously in a different case. After I switched to a different case, something in that case is preventing the computer from powering on at all and I really don't know what's causing this. Frankly, I'm baffled.

Specs of main build:
AMD FX-9590
Corsair H110i GTX
Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866Mhz
Corsair RMx 1000w

Other components tested:
AMD Phenom X4 9350e
Stock AMD Heatsink
Asus Crosshair II Formula
8GB DDR2 800mhz
EVGA SuperNOVA 650w GS

Cases used
Cooler Master HAF XM (Previous case, computer worked fine)
Cooler Master Cosmos II (New case, computer doesn't power on)

is the board touching the case turn it on and lick the case that should tell you 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

2 minutes ago, Troika said:

Did you use all the stand offs?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Vernw3.com said:

is the board touching the case turn it on and lick the case that should tell you 

It shouldn't be, I'm using the same standoffs I used on the previous case.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you use all the stand offs?

I did. 9 Standoffs in all.

Do you mean it turns off and on or it just doesn't do anything at all when you press your case's power button?

As in, have you tried shorting the power button headers on the motherboard? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Do you mean it turns off and on or it just doesn't do anything at all when you press your case's power button?

As in, have you tried shorting the power button headers on the motherboard? 

Nope, does absolutely nothing. I can't even get it to start with the screwdriver trick on the power contacts. As soon as I take it out the Cosmos II, works just fine.

3 minutes ago, Troika said:

Nope, does absolutely nothing. I can't even get it to start with the screwdriver trick on the power contacts. As soon as I take it out the Cosmos II, works just fine.

Something is causing a short Maybe slap a piece of cardboard behind your motherboard before putting it into the case, no idea otherwise.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Something is causing a short Maybe slap a piece of cardboard behind your motherboard before putting it into the case, no idea otherwise.

I'll try it tomorrow, that or see if I can find any longer standoffs. I'm just too tired and frustrated right now to deal with that heavy ass case. It weighs like 50lbs when its empty.

16 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Ok, I tried with a piece of cardboard and longer standoffs but it still won't work. :T I just don't understand! I tried taking everything out that I could possibly take out and it made no difference. Something is wrong with this case.

Or something is shorting the PSU while it's inside the case

It still works when it's outside of the case right?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Or something is shorting the PSU while it's inside the case

It still works when it's outside of the case right?

With the psu outside of the case but the board in the case, it doesn't work. If you reverse it, same thing, doesn't work. If both the board and psu are outside of the case, works fine.

With the psu outside of the case but the board in the case, it doesn't work. If you reverse it, same thing, doesn't work. If both the board and psu are outside of the case, works fine.

Your case is clearly possessed, seek a priest

What happens if you just jump the on/off switch while it's in the case? Like you don't hook up the front I/O?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Your case is clearly possessed, seek a priest

What happens if you just jump the on/off switch while it's in the case? Like you don't hook up the front I/O?

That's how I've been testing since I'm not bothering to connect and disconnect and repeat with the front I/O until it works.

I've contacted Cooler Master Technical support to try and see if they can help, it is their case after all so I'm sure they should have some idea of how to sort out the problem. Now, just to wait and see what happens. If they can't help, I'm gonna try and see if I can return the case. I paid $70 for it but I'd rather have $70 in my pocket rather than a cool case that just refuses to play nice.

9 minutes ago, Troika said:

I've contacted Cooler Master Technical support to try and see if they can help, it is their case after all so I'm sure they should have some idea of how to sort out the problem. Now, just to wait and see what happens. If they can't help, I'm gonna try and see if I can return the case. I paid $70 for it but I'd rather have $70 in my pocket rather than a cool case that just refuses to play nice.

Could always go for just a standard Masterbox5 black for like $60 if you get a refund.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Could always go for just a standard Masterbox5 black for like $60 if you get a refund.

I bought it from a computer recycler, the same one that I get all the untested GPUs from. As for the Masterbox5, I like my HAF XM more so I'll probably keep using that, though, I'd prefer to use my Phanteks Enthoo Evolv but its only mATX and it doesn't fit the 990FX Sabertooh board. Once I upgrade this PC (I'll probably be mostly using it as a stream PC and platform for older games that work better on Windows 7), I'll probably be going with a Skylake i7 and (hopefully they'll come down in price soon) a 1080 ti on a mATX board. I'm gonna go all out for it so it looks nice. I think I'll make it my first custom loop. :)

1 minute ago, Troika said:

Skylake/Kaby Lake are dead

If you're going for streaming just get an R7 1700 or R7 2700X for the 8 cores/16 threads.

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Skylake/Kaby Lake are dead

If you're going for streaming just get an R7 1700 or R7 2700X for the 8 cores/16 threads.

But then I have to use windows 10 and I really don't want to. I already hate the fact I have to do it on my laptop, I've gotten used to it but my older games don't work very well on it. They work well-ish on Windows 7 or have hacks for windows 7 that makes them work well. The computer isn't just a streaming machine, it'll be my gaming desktop when I'm at home so I can take it a little easier on my laptop. Sure, its a top end laptop with a 8700k and a GTX 1070 but its still a laptop with laptop cooling. It makes me nervous when I play on it for hours and I watch the GPU getting closer and closer to 80C. I want to keep my laptop for whenever I go visit my friends so I have a solid machine to game on or when I'm traveling and still want to game. Skylake was the last intel chip to support windows 7, that's why I want it. Otherwise, I'd just go with another Coffeelake or, when it gets released, Zen 2 system. Zen+ is nice from what I've seen about it but so far the biggest improvement seems to just be to the memory controller and better turbo technology. Coffeelake is still the better performer overall.

Still, this isn't the thread to talk about this sort of thing. I'll be posting a prospective part list for the computer in question. You can talk about cpu x is better than cpu y there. :P

12 hours ago, Troika said:

Also check all of the PSU cables to see if there are any exposed bare wire that could be touching metal on the case causing the short. A new case won't fix that so best be sure first.

11 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Also check all of the PSU cables to see if there are any exposed bare wire that could be touching metal on the case causing the short. A new case won't fix that so best be sure first.

None of the wires are bare.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:16 PM, Troika said:

None of the wires are bare.

Okay, are you sure you didn't leave an extra standoff installed that may be pushing up against the back of the board?

16 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Okay, are you sure you didn't leave an extra standoff installed that may be pushing up against the back of the board?

Nope. Board has 9 screw holes, and 9 standoffs were used.

• 2 weeks later...

Aha! I finally figured it out. The front panel/fan controller was the issue. I assume its the fan controller attached to the front panel that has failed and is causing my whole system to not power on. I wonder if they'll repair it or sell me a new one. I can't exactly run the computer without it since its integrated to the front panel, kinda annoying but eh, s'not like I can redesign it. ^^;