New PC builder needs help with no video out dead GPU?

Yesterday I finally received the final component for my new PC built and put it all together. However, I’m running into a problem that I can’t seem to figure out and I’m hoping the community here can help me better diagnose what the issue might be. When I turn the computer on the screen remains black, it does not turn ON so I can’t get into the BIOS. I can see there is a red light that is on in the MoBo the label on it says “VGA”. Reading the manual, it states that when one of the four lights is on one of the devices is not working correctly:

First thing I do is shut off the system and take out the GPU and put it back in making sure that it is sitting correctly in its PCIE slot. I also make sure the power is in all the way. I changed the HDMI cable to a new one that I knew works just in case. When I turn the computer back on it is still the same problem.

Second thing I do after power is off is make sure the connection to the PSU is on and tight and power the PC back on, problem persists.

Third attempt I moved the GPU down to the PCI slot below and power the computer back up, but the problem is still the same.

Fourth attempt is to take out my GPU and hook up my monitor to the HDMI port on the MoBo itself. However, upon further research I found out this would not work as Ryzen CPUs do not have integrated graphics, so no video signal would come out from here.

Odd things I notice:

I’m thinking my PSU might be the issue as I notice some of the ventilation fans would not turn ON on occasion when I would restart my system. All fans are hooked up to the MoBo so I can’t say for sure. My second reason for believing the PSU might be the issue is that the cabling for the PCI looked like it was squished almost pinched on the ends as a result of not being properly secure in the box. Maybe the PSU was not really new (got it from Amazon).

Another thing I notice was that the GPU did not respond at all. No fans moved, no reaction whatsoever from being plugged in. At least the ventilation fans and heatsink fans moved or reacted to the power being turned on. MoBo and RAM do light up when the power is on (RGB) so I know they are getting current in them.

Next steps:

This is the second computer I’ve build, but the last PC I built was several years ago so I know I’m rusty. This also means that I don’t have spare parts to test the components I’m suspicious of. I’m hoping I can find some help here in order to figure out what the issue is. Below is the spec of the computer I’m trying to build. Please note that all parts are new from Amazon and really want to figure out if a part is faulty so that I can return it asap. Thank you all in advance.

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
  • Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard (Ryzen 2000 Ready)
  • Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

• Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

• Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

• Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card

• Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Capture.PNG

does it post?

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

I'm not sure, as there is no video output I can't tell if anything is going on. I also don't hear any beeps when switching the PC on. They only information I got is that red light.

When you push the power button, if you don't hear or see your fans kicking on then it's likely that you rather didn't seat your RAM properly, the CPU isn't seated properly or (a more common mistake amongst new builders) you didn't connect the additional power connector on the motherboard. Yours is an 8-pin connector at the top left of the board. Also, if you didn't install or didn't properly install the mounting posts for your motherboard in the case prior to installing it would also cause a short that would prevent post or power-on with the potential to short out the board and/or damage other components.

NOTE: Please be sure to click the "Quote button at the bottom of the post that your replying to so that it will send a notification and you will get responses quicker.

9 hours ago, Spyder1384 said:

When you push the power button, if you don't hear or see your fans kicking on then it's likely that you rather didn't seat your RAM properly, the CPU isn't seated properly or (a more common mistake amongst new builders) you didn't connect the additional power connector on the motherboard. Yours is an 8-pin connector at the top left of the board. Also, if you didn't install or didn't properly install the mounting posts for your motherboard in the case prior to installing it would also cause a short that would prevent post or power-on with the potential to short out the board and/or damage other components.

NOTE: Please be sure to click the "Quote button at the bottom of the post that your replying to so that it will send a notification and you will get responses quicker.

Fans do kick thought some will turn off after a moment. I have 2 exhaust and 2 intake, sometimes all will stay on other time one or two will shut off. Heatsink fan does work it normally, system appears to work normally. I switched the RAM to different positions according to the manual with the same results.

3 hours ago, cas5 said:

Fans do kick thought some will turn off after a moment. I have 2 exhaust and 2 intake, sometimes all will stay on other time one or two will shut off. Heatsink fan does work it normally, system appears to work normally. I switched the RAM to different positions according to the manual with the same results.

At this point I might suggest you get on youtube and watch a couple build guides to see if they might be able to offer any insight to make sure you've installed everything correctly. If it does seem like you've done everything correctly, I would perhaps try to test the video card in a friends computer to make sure that's not the issue. If the video card seems fine then you may have to look into getting an RMA on rather the motherboard or the CPU (if that's the case i'd bet on the motherboard personally). Also, have you tried installing the RAM 1 stick at a time to see if perhaps one of them is the cause?