Best Mechanical Keyboard ($100-200)?

ajgamer1

Best Mechanical Keyboard ($100-200)?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. HyperX Alloy FPS (Cherry Mx Red) vs Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L (Cherry Mx Brown)?

• HyperX Alloy FPS (Cherry Mx Red)
    • Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L (Cherry Mx Brown)
    • Other? (Please mention in the reply, Which one)

Hello, I would like to know which of these keyboard is best for performance and the life-term (life before dying)?

1. HyperX Alloy FPS is Cherry Mx Red Switch with RED LED only ( https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/keyboards/alloy-fps-mechanical-gaming-keyboard?partnum=HX-KB1RD1-NA/A3 )

2. Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L is Cherry Mx Brown Switch with RGB Lights. ( http://www.coolermaster.com/peripheral/keyboards/masterkeys-pro-l/ )

3. Others? Please mention the name and Why? (Budget $100-200)

Price: Both has a difference of 10-20$ in my currency. (Almost price same for me)

Usage: Typing (Blogging and Coding) and Gaming (FPS Games like Rainbow Six Siege, PUBG, Wildlands, CSGO, COD, Battlefield)

Please vote in the above poll and write your thoughts in the post/comment/reply below.

Thanks

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

This will be 100% subjective, as these are similar keyboards, just with different switches.

If you like Browns, get a keyboard with Browns. If you like Reds, get a keyboard with Reds. 

Usually people say Blues are for typing, Reds are for gaming and browns are for something inbetween, but this is only based on some characteristics of the switches: mainly that Blue clicks when activated, which is helpful in typing, but in Gaming you usually hold a key pressed in for longer so it's less needed. Browns have this tactile feedback the Blues have too, but it's less pronounced, making it usable in both typing in gaming.

But I would try out these switches if possible to get your own opinion on this.

I got the Coolermaster board in the Small variety with Brown switches, because Blues weren't available and I wanted a minimalist RGB keyboard with no numpad.

About lifetime: it will be similar between the boards, as they use keyswitches from the same manufacturer that promises to have 50 million keystrokes per key at minimum before feeling differently.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I love my Corsair k95 rgb platinum , (mx speed version) such quality , coming from a logitech g410  the main thing that I notice is the keys above the frame , that protects my keys from ash and dust , making (for me) the best for cleaning.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

This will be 100% subjective, as these are similar keyboards, just with different switches.

If you like Browns, get a keyboard with Browns. If you like Reds, get a keyboard with Reds. 

Usually people say Blues are for typing, Reds are for gaming and browns are for something inbetween, but this is only based on some characteristics of the switches: mainly that Blue clicks when activated, which is helpful in typing, but in Gaming you usually hold a key pressed in for longer so it's less needed. Browns have this tactile feedback the Blues have too, but it's less pronounced, making it usable in both typing in gaming.

But I would try out these switches if possible to get your own opinion on this.

I got the Coolermaster board in the Small variety with Brown switches, because Blues weren't available and I wanted a minimalist RGB keyboard with no numpad.

About lifetime: it will be similar between the boards, as they use keyswitches from the same manufacturer that promises to have 50 million keystrokes per key at minimum before feeling differently.

Thanks for the honest and detailed reply but then I am not very used to these switches and I seriously can't test much if which one is best for me.

So if you could suggest which brand would be best to keep?

Like after-sale service, replacement (warranty), What does the gaming community prefer in terms of brand?

And if you have any other recommendation apart from the mentioned keyboard, please let me know.

Thanks. :)

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

9 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

I love my Corsair k95 rgb platinum , (mx speed version) such quality , coming from a logitech g410  the main thing that I notice is the keys above the frame , that protects my keys from ash and dust , making (for me) the best for cleaning.

Yeah, That's a good one but that's out of my budget.

10 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

Thanks for the honest and detailed reply but then I am not very used to these switches and I seriously can't test much if which one is best for me.

Like after-sale service, replacement (warranty), What does the gaming community prefer in terms of brand?

And if you have any other recommendation apart from the mentioned keyboard, please let me know.

Peripherals are all opinion based. I like the looks of Cooler Master and Corsair keyboards. Personally when I tested out typing on red, blue, and brown switches, I liked brown switches the best. 

1 minute ago, UnleashedPride said:

Peripherals are all opinion based. I like the looks of Cooler Master and Corsair keyboards. Personally when I tested out typing on red, blue, and brown switches, I liked brown switches the best. 

Corsair is not dedicate present in India in terms of Keyboards. So all the keyboards are very expensive and they have huge premium on them too.

Cooler Master, Razer, HyperX still have some viable/affordable costing in India.

Cooler Master is good but I don't know but Cooler Master's Software and the keyboard's Firmware is little off. 

yeah but the point is to tell you that not only the color of the switch is important, i play the same games as you and the romer g from logitech seemed to me the best option quality/price but now i've tried that key frame I rather to pick a red switch with a frame like that than a logitech.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

yeah but the point is to tell you that not only the color of the switch is important, i play the same games as you and the romer g from logitech seemed to me the best option quality/price but now i've tried that key frame I rather to pick a red switch with a frame like that than a logitech.

Yeah, Logitech is also dedicatedly present in India and they have cheaper Keyboards which are really affordable. I checked some videos personally and I found that Roamer G Switches aren't that good as compared to Cherry Mx.

Cherry Mx is still the leader.

Which keyboard do you use right now? (Specific Model Please)?

Alloy fps with cherry MX red for gaming, if u work with that take browns (i've tried browns, reds, speeds, romer g)

I use corsair k95 rgb platinum with mx speed , but before that logitech g410 (cheap)

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

Alloy fps with cherry MX red for gaming, if u work with that take browns (i've tried browns, reds, speeds, romer g)

How bad is it to use Red for the work? :) Just for knowledge asking because I don't have experience with mechanical keyboards.

43 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

To be honest, I don't have personal experiences with either of these brand's service department (and I do have some Kingston and Coolermaster products), but that is mainly because neither of their stuff ever broke on me.

From what I see online, both their service departments are very good, but that is mainly judging off the experience here in Western Europe (Where I know Coolermaster is located, not sure where Kingston does their business from).

35 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

Cooler Master is good but I don't know but Cooler Master's Software and the keyboard's Firmware is little off. 

Nothing to complain about with their firmware and the software is not even comparable to Kingston's software, since the software is mostly used for RGB lighting.

Compared to Razer and Corsair the Coolermaster software experience is less, since those two previously mentioned companies have a lot more RGB effect options. But I personally have a couple of profiles with colored keys, nothing more. Something I set up not using the software on my PC at all, just on the keyboard itself. So even if I took the keyboard with me to whatever computer, everything in terms of customization would still be present.

If you would ask me of the two you mentioned, which I would take: it would be the Coolermaster any day of the week, but that is just because I very much dislike Cherry MX Red switches. But choosing the HyperX Alloy with Browns vs. Masterkeys with Browns.. It comes down to the design and light options.

The HyperX Alloy has a floating keycap design which would be easier to clean and it has a more sturdy base. The Masterkeys however has a built in cablemanagement feature and RGB lighting. The Masterkeys also has built in buttons to easily switch from one profile to another, but the Alloy on the other hand has a 'Windows key' that actually has the Windows logo on it, rather than the Masterkeys with the Coolermaster logo there. I changed out the keycaps, so it doesn't bother me anymore, but it was something I found.. I guess annoying.

But if you're looking for other models, the Ducky Shine 6 would also be an option. Similar to the Coolermaster keyboard though.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

To be honest, I don't have personal experiences with either of these brand's service department (and I do have some Kingston and Coolermaster products), but that is mainly because neither of their stuff ever broke on me.

From what I see online, both their service departments are very good, but that is mainly judging off the experience here in Western Europe (Where I know Coolermaster is located, not sure where Kingston does their business from).

Nothing to complain about with their firmware and the software is not even comparable to Kingston's software, since the software is mostly used for RGB lighting.

Compared to Razer and Corsair the Coolermaster software experience is less, since those two previously mentioned companies have a lot more RGB effect options. But I personally have a couple of profiles with colored keys, nothing more. Something I set up not using the software on my PC at all, just on the keyboard itself. So even if I took the keyboard with me to whatever computer, everything in terms of customization would still be present.

If you would ask me of the two you mentioned, which I would take: it would be the Coolermaster any day of the week, but that is just because I very much dislike Cherry MX Red switches. But choosing the HyperX Alloy with Browns vs. Masterkeys with Browns.. It comes down to the design and light options.

The HyperX Alloy has a floating keycap design which would be easier to clean and it has a more sturdy base. The Masterkeys however has a built in cablemanagement feature and RGB lighting. The Masterkeys also has built in buttons to easily switch from one profile to another, but the Alloy on the other hand has a 'Windows key' that actually has the Windows logo on it, rather than the Masterkeys with the Coolermaster logo there. I changed out the keycaps, so it doesn't bother me anymore, but it was something I found.. I guess annoying.

But if you're looking for other models, the Ducky Shine 6 would also be an option. Similar to the Coolermaster keyboard though.

That seems to be a very detailed information and clears a lot my thoughts.

Yeah Cherry Mx is not an issue and infact, I am going to go with Cherry Mx Brown for any brand/model now.

Cherry Mx Red feels very easy to make mistakes while typing.

So yeah Cherry Mx BROWN is the only choice in Switches I have.

I can avail the Cherry Mx Brown for HyperX Alloy keyboard. (Same Model).

Which keyboard do you use yourself currently?

Thanks.

get the red dragon kald

50 bucks, amazing mechanical keyboard with amazing quality

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

1 hour ago, MrFriendism said:

That seems to be a very detailed information and clears a lot my thoughts.

Yeah Cherry Mx is not an issue and infact, I am going to go with Cherry Mx Brown for any brand/model now.

Cherry Mx Red feels very easy to make mistakes while typing.

So yeah Cherry Mx BROWN is the only choice in Switches I have.

I can avail the Cherry Mx Brown for HyperX Alloy keyboard. (Same Model).

Which keyboard do you use yourself currently?

Thanks.

I myself use a Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB, with Cherry MX Browns. I would have rather gone with the same board, but with Blue switches; but that wasn't available at my time of purchase.

It's similar to the Masterkey Pro L, except the L has a better cable management option compared to the S.

12 hours ago, Minibois said:

I myself use a Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB, with Cherry MX Browns. I would have rather gone with the same board, but with Blue switches; but that wasn't available at my time of purchase.

It's similar to the Masterkey Pro L, except the L has a better cable management option compared to the S.

Why do you want to use Blue over Brown/Red?

Also, What's your major usage and do you game?

3 hours ago, MrFriendism said:

Why do you want to use Blue over Brown/Red?

Also, What's your major usage and do you game?

I prefer the clicky tactile feedback of the Blues, as opposed to the non-clicky tactile feedback of the Browns. And I dislike the linear switches, like Reds.

My main usage is typing, gaming is kind off a secondary usage. If I do play games with a keyboard it is kindly.. well I basically only play Skyrim nowadays with a keyboard.

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

I prefer the clicky tactile feedback of the Blues, as opposed to the non-clicky tactile feedback of the Browns. And I dislike the linear switches, like Reds.

My main usage is typing, gaming is kind off a secondary usage. If I do play games with a keyboard it is kindly.. well I basically only play Skyrim nowadays with a keyboard.

Okay, That's awesome. I have never used Cherry Mx Blues or similar ones in my life.

I have been using the cheaper Keyboard (Those Logitech's Basic PS/2 Keyboard or Dell's Cheap PS/2)

Do you think Cherry Mx Brown would be good for me? If I work (type) + Game?

Cherry Mx Blue are little noisy too.