Better Gaming Headset than Cloud Alpha

huzidada

Hey Guys. 

So in a quest to get better sound than traditional gaming headsets give you. Problem is I have a set of Kingston Cloud Alphas and they sound amazing, even better than the Game Zeros I have. And from all the reviews it seems it beats a lot of headsets.

I was thinking about the AudioTechnica MX50 or a set of AKG K7xx available where I am. Any thoughts on this matter and if you think any are worthy?Budget is $200/$250 

Welcome to the forum, remember to quote people so we see your response.

Take a look at the M40X. You will get many suggestions tomorrow when everyone is awake. Whatever you do, do NOT get the M50X. All of the audiophiles on this and other forums despise them with a passion.

Also, take a look at the Status Audio CB-1 and the Philip 9500, these are amazing headphones for the price. The K7xx are good for gaming but they require a good AMP/DAC. So unless you are serious about good audio that may not be the best bet.

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

49 minutes ago, huzidada said:

Hey Guys. 

So in a quest to get better sound than traditional gaming headsets give you. Problem is I have a set of Kingston Cloud Alphas and they sound amazing, even better than the Game Zeros I have. And from all the reviews it seems it beats a lot of headsets.

I was thinking about the AudioTechnica MX50 or a set of AKG K7xx available where I am. Any thoughts on this matter and if you think any are worthy?Budget is $200/$250 

K7XX + modmic is a great combo.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have an Asus Strix Soar souncard with a amp capable of up to 600Ohm. This is okay right? Sorry Im new to this whole sound setup.

I really like the look and feel of the AKG ...will there be a day and night difference with the Alphas?

1 hour ago, huzidada said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I have an Asus Strix Soar souncard with a amp capable of up to 600Ohm. This is okay right? Sorry Im new to this whole sound setup.

I really like the look and feel of the AKG ...will there be a day and night difference with the Alphas?

I've never tried the alphas, but I kinda doubt it. Diminishing returns mean that there will be a difference, but try both out before buying. Your amp/dac is more than enough.

- snip-

If I wanted to keep it as an all in one solution(headphone and mic) how do the newer Sennheiser GSP500 and 600 compare? And what style between open and closed back would prove better for gaming FPS games.. Namely PUBG

3 hours ago, huzidada said:

Night and day difference, i dont think so. But the upgrade is noticeable.

Less bass but increase sound stage and overall better audio quality.

50 minutes ago, huzidada said:

If I wanted to keep it as an all in one solution(headphone and mic) how do the newer Sennheiser GSP500 and 600 compare? And what style between open and closed back would prove better for gaming FPS games.. Namely PUBG

Haven't tried any of them so cannot comment on it, but i would steer clear from gaming headsets as they are mostly cheap headphones with a boom mic, slap a "gaming" tag on it and jack the prices like fucking crazy. It might be okay-good but it will never be better than a proper headphone + separate mic combo.

Choose open when you're mostly alone in the room and don't have problems for sound leaking in/out. Closed if you want private listening. It depends on your setup and preference.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

If you are mainly using the headset for gaming, something like sennheiser game series is adequate for your need. It sounds decent, has good mic and good comfort.

Anything above that should only be considered if you listen to a lot of music and care about the audio quality.

3 hours ago, xtroria said:

If you are mainly using the headset for gaming, something like sennheiser game series is adequate for your need. It sounds decent, has good mic and good comfort.

Anything above that should only be considered if you listen to a lot of music and care about the audio quality.

As much as I love music I dont think Ive ever worried that it wasnt clear enough. I like your answer a lot, Maybe its what I want to hear...But as someone that hates having to cable manage(rather read OCD with cable management) I prefer having it in one solution with less cluster. I guess my best question would be, what would be the best gaming headset for me. If I want to listen to sound etc I guess I can buy another set just for that purpose if Im that into it. Thank you for making it clear to me

11 hours ago, huzidada said:

As much as I love music I dont think Ive ever worried that it wasnt clear enough. I like your answer a lot, Maybe its what I want to hear...But as someone that hates having to cable manage(rather read OCD with cable management) I prefer having it in one solution with less cluster. I guess my best question would be, what would be the best gaming headset for me. If I want to listen to sound etc I guess I can buy another set just for that purpose if Im that into it. Thank you for making it clear to me

Sennheiser game one is honestly enough for your need.

If you want something that's more flexible, probably v-moda m100 with the boompro mic

AD700X AD900X, K7XX, Game Zeroes from Sennheiser.

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

8 hours ago, Tacanacy said:

- AKG K612 Pro
- AKG K701
- AKG K702

- Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x
- Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x
- Beyerdynamic DT880
- Beyerdynamic DT990

- Sennheiser Game One (headset)
- Sennheiser HD558/HD579
- Sennheiser HD598/HD599

I have AD700x, DT990 (600 ohms) and HD598 of these.

AD700X has subdued sub-bass and emphasized treble. Has clean bass and a little harsh treble. Has a huge soundstage, excellent imaging, separation and clarity, and great detail retrieval.                                        
DT990 has subdued sub-bass, emphasized mid-bass and very emphasized treble. Has clean bass and a little splashy or overly sparkly treble. Has a huge soundstage and excellent imaging, separation, clarity and detail retrieval.

HD598 is mid-forward and has subdued sub-bass. Has clean bass, smooth treble, and excellent clarity. I haven't used it much, so my impressions are that it has a large soundstage and good imaging, separation and detail retrieval.

I assess headphones mainly in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 as I'm intimately familiar with its environment and sound design and rely heavily on it.

What a beautiful answer. If you had to choose just one...which would it be?

Also what DAC/AMP are you using to power these babies?

Where Im based there is only a supllier so cants tes earphones. Also I dont know anybody with quality audio to test differences.

Ill be buying these for PUBG as well as RPG games. WIll also occasionaly listen to music or watch movies/series

Im in my room so noise bleed is not a concern but at the same time there is outside noise like cars passing or it raining that I have to deal with.

Im currently using HyperX Cloud Alphas.

In saying all this what would be a better option for me? Stick to the closed staged Ive been kinda used to and get GSP600 or go for GSP500 which would help with direction of shot and footsteps in PUBG by giving better awareness of distance of surroundings?

I just dont want the sound to sound drained/lazy/not immersive if that makes sense. Thanks