Win32 Apps...?

arvark

So, I've experimented with various programming languages (C# with Unity and Windows Form Apps in VS, C++ in school with Dev C++ and I followed a good part of a Python couse on Codecademy), today I discovered Win32 Applications in Visual C++, now, is it normal that I don't really understand the syntax and stuff? I was watching a video analyzing the WinMain function, I did undestand some of the things that were explained, but it was FAR too complicated for me (17 Years old). Also I left the Python course, not because I didn't understand (it was pretty easy) but because I didn't really know how to start coding Python on my own (which IDE etc.)

Now since Windows Form Apps are very easy for me to understand and to program, I want to know do serious developers really develop windows form apps? Also is knowing how to program a Win32 essential to become a programmer?

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

10 minutes ago, arvark said:

Now since Windows Form Apps are very easy for me to understand and to program, I want to know do serious developers really develop windows form apps? Also is knowing how to program a Win32 essential to become a programmer?

Yes, some "serious" developers do make Windows Forms - apps, though it seems to me that most still stick to the older win32. As for knowing win32 being essential: no. You only need to know win32 if you plan on making win32 - apps in a language that doesn't abstract the details away, but you don't need it if you e.g. use Python, or if you're making console - apps, or coding web - apps or any sort of CGI - modules for webservers and so on -- plenty of stuff one can work on without it even having to run on Windows in the first place, let alone needing to be written directly using the win32 API.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You must understand windows.h inside and out if you are to have any credibility as a windows developer. 

There are many ways to create windows program, they have this new thing call universal windows app now.

you can also say screw windows and visual studio and use java to develop applications that also work on windows instead. Although you may have to use a wrapper to implement native function calls.

tip for beginner like you is to start small and slowly work your way into complex. You don’t need to code a complex game of supermario(although I do know plenty of talented real life kids younger than your age who had done it), a hello world is a good enough stepping stone.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, wasab said:

You must understand windows.h inside and out if you are to have any credibility as a windows developer. 

There are many ways to create windows program, they have this new thing call universal windows app now.

you can also say screw windows and visual studio and use java to develop applications that also work on windows instead. Although you may have to use a wrapper to implement native function calls.

tip for beginner like you is to start small and slowly work your way into complex. You don’t need to code a complex game of supermario(although I do know plenty of talented real life kids younger than your age who had done it), a hello world is a good enough stepping stone.

Yeah... It's not like I'm a complete beginner... In unity I made a movable player (I didn't do the anims and models, but I did do the coding), that enters a car and shoots... Hello World is something I've left behind a lot of time ago.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

3 minutes ago, arvark said:

Yeah... It's not like I'm a complete beginner... In unity I made a movable player (I didn't do the anims and models, but I did do the coding), that enters a car and shoots... Hello World is something I've left behind a lot of time ago.

You are a beginner if sythax is an issue you struggle with. Learn the language first before learning to create windows app with it.

c++ is a very tricky lanaguge to master. Get yourself a good book and some time. Don’t jump straight into game and GUI programming with it.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

You are a beginner if sythax is an issue you struggle with. Learn the language first before learning to create windows app with it.

c++ is a very tricky lanaguge to master. Get yourself a good book and some time. Don’t jump straight into game and GUI programming with it.

No, maybe I didn't explain myself... What I don't understand is all WinMain function and how a win32 application works...

I have no real problem with C++ and C#, I've done some pretty decent stuff with both. I can say I've learnt enough of the language not to call myself a beginner.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, arvark said:

No, maybe I didn't explain myself... What I don't understand is all WinMain function and how a win32 application works...

I have no real problem with C++ and C#, I've done some pretty decent stuff with both. I can say I've learnt enough of the language not to call myself a beginner.

Win32 api is mostly C oriented so it might make more sense if you know how to program in C....

I do not know about windows development too much myself. I never done it other than a rudimentary prankware I made for funs and giggles.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I wish people made a distinction between "apps" and actual applications.

-- WinMain() is basically the platform-limited way to tell Windows "this is where the application starts". The main advantage is that, if you stick to the pure Windows API, you won't have to link other standard libraries, resulting in a smaller and faster binary.

Write in C.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:15 PM, Dat Guy said:

I wish people made a distinction between "apps" and actual applications.

-- WinMain() is basically the platform-limited way to tell Windows "this is where the application starts". The main advantage is that, if you stick to the pure Windows API, you won't have to link other standard libraries, resulting in a smaller and faster binary.

Mh, I use apps just as an abbreviation of applications...

Spoiler